children on oosterdam

lowdy

I have several questions regarding children on the oosterdam. Anyone who has experience dining with children on cruise ships, I would love to hear your opinion on which time would work best for 7 and 10 year olds. I'm sure they would enjoy it a couple of nights but not every night. Are they able to eat in the main dining room some nights and eat in club hal other nights? I can just imagine them being bored every night in the main dining room! Another question is what time is club hal usually open during june? Their website doesn't really give times. Are the pools heated on the trip to Alaska? What other activities are there on the oosterdam for children other than club hal? Are the shows something they will enjoy? Thanks for all your help!

Our son did not enjoy the nearly two hour dinner hour in the DR (he was 9 at the time and boys his age are not known for their appreciation of leisurely dining ;)). We split our dinners between the DR, the Lido and room service on the Oosterdam last March and will probably do the same next month on the Westerdam.

We just travelled on the Oostedam with a large family group that included four children (ages 1,2,4 & 8). The 8 yr. old dined every night night in the dining room (we had the 6:15 seating), but couldn't wait to go to Club HAL immediately afterwards. On our cruise, Club HAL was open on sea days from 9-12, 2-5 and 8-10) I don't know the hours on port days, but it was open less often. Ships services can confirm the hours on your cruise. I think it is open different hours for teenangers, the facility is small so the kids are separated by age.

The smaller children usually dined in the Lido or had room service most of the time.

Other than Club HAL and the pool, there were no other activities for children. The only show the kids attended was the juggler.

On every cruise our children have gone on with us, they ate in the Dining Room every night. Both (now 10 and 13, but as young as 7 and 10 when they started cruising!) enjoy good food, and know how to behave in a fine resturaunt. My son has aspirations to be a chef, so this is his cup of tea. THey always find time to attend kids activities after dinner if you have the early seating. My daughter usually attends the show with me, while DH has a drink in a bar and son goes to kids activity. We all meet up after the show. Some shows have interested my son, but not all. Every child is different, but hopefully that helps.

I called HAL and learned that there are currentlly 160 children traveling on our 4-2-05 sailing. Sounds like there will be plenty of other kids to hang with!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3114935#

I'll be bringing my 4 & 8 year old munchkins on the O'dam next March for the Mexican Riv cruise. Since both are very "bouncy" kids whose high energy levels make it tricky to stay still more than 1/2 hour, we're thinking on just taking them for dinner at the Lido every night about 5:30 and then just bringing them back to the room for clean-up, baths, wind-down time, whatever. We'll opt for evening Club HAL or in-cabin babysitting for them and WE'LL do the late dinner seating for the 2 of us.

Kids -- eat super fast!

Mom & Dad -- want it nice & slowwwwwwwwwww :D It's our holiday too, after all!

As they get older and we keep cruising, we'll introduce them to the dining room experience but for now, I want to keep my sanity! Not to mention the gratitude of fellox pax... they would *not* appreciate my little guy's dining habits these days! :eek:

Just my 2cents (Canadian),

Caroline in TO

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. My kids also act very well in restaurants but 2 hrs is a long time for children. We may just let them choose what each wants to do after the first night in the dining room. Excellent suggestion for splitting the kids up at night. Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

We'll be travelling with our two young children and although they would probably do fine at dinner, I don't think they'd enjoy it and I don't want their chatter and the "toy scramble" to bother the fellow pax. Therefore, they'd probably enjoy grabbing pizza, hot dogs in the lido, or even ordering some room service - put a dvd on the tube and hang out in the cabin with their toys while the rest of us dine quietly and slowly. After dinner, we'll take them for a stroll and grab dessert with them and then put them down to bed while we catch some shows, music or a late night drink. That will be the only time we'll use the in-cabin babysitting. Although Newport Julie mentioned (which I didn't know and think is GREAT), that you can hire a sitter and they can take the little ones to club Hal (one DD is not yet 3) to play. I might use that idea for a couple hours at the pool w/ a book - maybe, I don't know - but it's a nice option if I choose to use it!

Just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday. I booked an 8:30 meal and told the Maitre d' to just put the two of us together for dinner and not our 7 year old son.

My son was more than happy to have room service for dinner so he could go to club HAL at 7:30 and my husband and I enjoyed dining without him when we did make it to the dining room.

We always went to lunch together though. He really loved that Club Hal. That's all he could think about doing on this trip. The staff really kept him entertained!

My Parent's took one of my daughters (age 10 at the time) on a cruise with her cousin (12) last year. My daughter is not known (in our household) for her lovely dinner manners! Believe it or not, she and her cousin managed to behave in a very polite and proper manner through every meal and DRESSED for all!!!:p Sometimes, kids need to be told what is to be expected- nothing less-and they will show their better side! I wouldn't however expect much out of a 5 year old on a 2 hour dinner. With older children, let them know your expectations before hand, and - if that doesn't work - Promos/Demerits as a response to their behavior. Nothing works with everyone, but sometimes children can surprise us with MUCH more than we expect!:)

We travelled on the Zaandam Christmas cruise back in December. We had 4 kids with us (3,9,10,11) and a 6:15 dinner time. The kids loved getting dressed for dinner each night and couldn't wait to have dinner in the dining room. They surprised us all with their behavior especially the 3 year old no problem. The staff really does a wonderful job with the kids. Some nights they would order from the kids menu and other nights from the adult or they would mix the 2. On 1 or 2 nights the older kids opted to eat at the lido with some of their friends and really enjoyed that option as well. Only the 9 year old (girl) participated in Club HAL and she was always done with her dinner in time to get to the fun activites held in the evening.

It was a wonderful family vacation for the 10 of us.

To answer the question as to how I go thte info on the number of kids on board. I simply called a reservation agent and asked if he could tell me the number of children. At first he said no, but then he called someone else. After a few minutes on hold, he came back and told me 158 kids and no really large groups Maybe I was just lucky! Or maybe I asked the right person. Keep trying, maybe you'll get the same man I spoke to!

Hi Lowdy,

We took our 4 lovely Granddaughters, Thanksgiving, on the Ryndam. They had dinner with us every night in the dining room and once in the Pinacle. They loved it! The crew, even though they were so busy, managed to entertain them with tricks and magic. The girls especially loved the formal nights. They still talk about it and want to return again this Thanksgiving. The ship is a great place for kids. We will take them on the Oosterdam this year. Go and enjoy your cruise, I know the kids will. Club Hal will keep them busy with a variety of things to do.

SeaGypsy

Hi Lowdy,

We took our 4 lovely Granddaughters, Thanksgiving, on the Ryndam. They had dinner with us every night in the dining room and once in the Pinacle. They loved it! The crew, even though they were so busy, managed to entertain them with tricks and magic. The girls especially loved the formal nights. They still talk about it and want to return again this Thanksgiving. The ship is a great place for kids. We will take them on the Oosterdam this year. Go and enjoy your cruise, I know the kids will. Club Hal will keep them busy with a variety of things to do.

SeaGypsy

Sea Gypsy: How old were your four granddaughters at cruise time? I'm curious how well they were "accepted" at the Pinnacle. Were other pax upset that kids were dining there?

Thanks, in advance!

Sea Gypsy: How old were your four granddaughters at cruise time? I'm curious how well they were "accepted" at the Pinnacle. Were other pax upset that kids were dining there?

Very few people will actually notice, I'd hope. Folks who cause a disruption - be they 7 or 70 - do get noticed and frowned upon. But I doubt anyone would even raise an eyebrow simply because they're children. Of course, if someone isn't able to sit through a two hour meal, then other arrangements should be made. But, again, that's not a function of the person's physical age.

Very few people will actually notice, I'd hope. Folks who cause a disruption - be they 7 or 70 - do get noticed and frowned upon. But I doubt anyone would even raise an eyebrow simply because they're children. Of course, if someone isn't able to sit through a two hour meal, then other arrangements should be made. But, again, that's not a function of the person's physical age.

I agree with your behavioral summary, regardless of age.

I'll be on then -- try and figure out which one I am! LOL.

As for the numbers - Holland America Vista ships are always a good bet if you're looking for the maximum amount of children.

To the person who's sailing on April 9th - there will be 2 CH staff onboard, so I'm estimating between 30-60 kids.

Archived