Tired of NCL, the whole deal...

I agree with those that posted about cruising to see different ports instead of being at the same location for a week.

Doug and I had an interesting conversation with a server one time in Cagneys.. We had been fortunate to have him for breakfast and lunch almost every day and a few times at night for dinner. He was wonderful and very friendly. He had been working for NCL his entire cruise life, 7 years and he was on his last year. Why? Because he had gotten married six months before to a lady who also worked on the ship. She had been onboard that ship for 4 years. They were both going back to their home country after their current contracts were up to buy a house and start a family. He told us that from what he and his new wife had both been able to save, not having to pay for room and board while working, they were going back and paying cash for a three or four bedroom house. I think very few of us who are on CC could do that when we were 27 years old. They both, according to him, loved the opportunity they had to be able to work for NCL, save up enough to pay cash for a home so the wife would be able to stay home and take care of the kids while he got a college education. All because of and I quote "blessed NCL".

What is the point of me posting this? I don't feel sorry for the crew at all. They are wonderful hard working people who sought out opportunity and took it. I do hate that they are away from their families, but we all make sacrafices of some kind to have the jobs we have. Who I feel sorry for is those left back in their home countries who don't have the opportuntiy to make the same kind of money. I would hate for the cruise industry to change to a point where these hard working people did not have the opportunities they do today. Do I think they make enough for the hard work they do? No, absolutely not, but then again, neither do I.

What is the point of me posting this? I don't feel sorry for the crew at all. They are wonderful hard working people who sought out opportunity and took it. I do hate that they are away from their families, but we all make sacrafices of some kind to have the jobs we have. Who I feel sorry for is those left back in their home countries who don't have the opportuntiy to make the same kind of money. I would hate for the cruise industry to change to a point where these hard working people did not have the opportunities they do today. Do I think they make enough for the hard work they do? No, absolutely not, but then again, neither do I.

Excellent post, Terry. It reminded me of a conversation we had with a tour guide on Labadee. Someone asked him if he enjoyed giving tours, and he said that with tips he made more than a bank executive in Haiti makes. With what he made he was able to support his parents and sister. He said that his goal in life was to improve his English so that he could get a job on a Royal Caribbean ship and make a better life for his family.

If guilt keeps us from travelling to other countries or patronizing the cruise lines because we are uncomfortable with the income disparity between ourselves and the ships' employees, are we helping them at all?

On the other hand, if the OP is tired of cruising...to each his own.

Archived