Tired of NCL, the whole deal...

At the risk of someone saying "good riddance" (go ahead!) - I have to say that my next cruise (Celebrity Summit in two weeks, and my 17th in 6 years) will be my last for a long time (maybe for good). We were on the 12 day Med loop (NCL Jade) in December and it finally dawned on me that the crew was desperately unhappy (whether overt or not, because the majority still put on their happy faces - but a chat with most revealed they are tired of being away from family and friends for 10 months straight and working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for most of it), We can rationalize all we want - that they are making good money from our tips as opposed to poverty in home countries, but the reality still is that they are working longer and harder than is even legal (much less right) in the countries that the passengers hail from... The ships burn an incredible amount of fuel (can you say $5.00 gasoline and the re-application of fuel charges), service levels are declining, and the cruise industry is not the bargain it once was.

Notwithstanding the many many folks I've convinced to go cruising since my first go round (RCCL Navigator aft balcony) in 2006, it is an absolute fact that all-inclusives are turning into the vacation bargain. With discount websites, you can go to the Caribbean for $800 (all in, including airfare, if you pick the right week or go last minute) to a 5 star resort. It has all the luxury of a suite, plus "free drinks", and a lot less aggravation... No matter how hard the staff work, at least they go home at night, and the fuel burned by the plane to get there is basically the same as flying to the port for a cruise. Land resorts don't have the crowds and bustle of getting on and off at ports. Did I mention unlimited drinks thrown in at no extra cost? True, you don't get the revolving kalidiscope of ports, but that is a good thing about Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor - these sites make it easy to find out which resort to go to...

So the nickel and diming (not to mention my conscience) finally got to me - final tally: 7 RCCL, 7 NCL, 1 Princess, 2 Celebrity. I am still writing my Jade review (NCL is declining, big-time), so will post once more before fading away to a lurker...

For those about to cruise, we salute you. For those thinking about it, check out all-inclusives. They are the new rodents' rear :) and bargain of the year...

I wish you good luck on all your future travels and you gotta do what you gotta do. Me? I'm sticking with cruising for the foreseeable future (as well as land trips). I still consider it an excellent bargain. Visiting different ports, onboard entertainment and activities, being on the open waters - still very attractive to me.

I can see your point about the crowds especially getting on and off the ship. Aren't the people working on the ship getting overtime for 12 - 14 hour days? They are also getting free room and board and able to pocket almost all of their earnings. Aren't many of us spending over half of our income for housing costs?

I can see your point about the crowds especially getting on and off the ship. Aren't the people working on the ship getting overtime for 12 - 14 hour days? They are also getting free room and board and able to pocket almost all of their earnings. Aren't many of us spending over half of our income for housing costs?

They aren't subject to US labor laws, so no, they do not get paid extra overtime pay. Without the DSC we pay, a lot of them would hardly make anything at all.

To Cruisebug, enjoy your future travel endeavors.

To each their own. We travel with 9 other couples in Feb to get away from the cold. Unpack once, sleep in the same bed every night and visit 4-6 ports depending on the itineray. Life doesn't get any better than that. Less than one month any counting - heck with the "down side". Welcome "Hello, get out of Dodge".:D:D:D

I can definitely respect the OP's point of view. We want to branch out to do more land vacations too. AI's can be nice for those who like all their meals and beverages included in their costs and enjoy getting to their destination and staying put. There can be some good deals out there but $800 (air included) for a week's vacation at a 5* AI are few and far between for the dates we travel. Even 4* Cancun resorts have higher rates than that and many only include the European plan. Keep in mind, too that the lowest rates shown are often for the basic room (in cruising terms...inside cabin). The difference between a basic room, oceanviews, meal plans, or suite upgrades can cost as much as $100 additional per day. So the cost you end up paying can be significantly more than the initial price, same as cruising. Last minute deals are only good for those than can travel on short notice. For many of us that is not an option.

We were on Jade's 12-night Med cruise last month and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, ports, and the staff. We were very pleased and would definitely sail the Jade again. IMO, if wait staff and crew are complaining to passengers, I find that to be in very poor taste on the part of the crew. Yes, it is hard being away from their families but they are well aware this is a requirement of the job when they sign the 9 or 10-month contract. I feel for them, but I don't pity them, or allow this knowledge to ruin my cruise. As I said, if staff are openly voicing this, I find it to be very tacky and inappropriate.

I certainly respect your decision. Maybe you will go on Celebrity and fall in love with cruising all over again...maybe not. Whatever you decide, good luck with your next vacation choice.

The crew was unhappy because it was the holiday season. We noticed that some of the crew, on last year's New Year's Eve cruise on the Gem a little down. Of course, it would be normal to miss being at home during the holidays. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy or appreciate their jobs. With this economy anyone who has a solid job is lucky. The fact is everyone has their issues! To boycott cruising for this reason is simply unwarranted. :)

I beg to differ, total costs for other forms of vacation are rising faster & higher nowadays - would DH and I repeat an all-inclusive deal in the Caribbean or alike for $800 (really, I think not) 10 times in a row, and keep doing it? Not very likely - or else, we would've endorsed the time-share concept 15 years ago & took out ours in Florida. (As for Mexico - plenty of bargains down there, well for its share of violence & drug wars, "no, gracias")

Cruising is still one of the best bargain in our ledger and yes, the lines (be it NCL, RCCI or others) will nickel & dime you to death, surcharges for this & extra for that - but all things consider, still getting our money's worth for what we knowingly & willingly spent onboard.

Flying isn't what it used to be - especially for those of us that hate the TSA security theater and its use of invasive technology, pat-downs, and liquid 3-1-1, etc. I rather cruise out of our homeport than to spend an entire day (while praying for no weather-related flight or mechanical delays) going to/waiting/flying/away from the airports for a 2 - 3 hours flight (transcon. are harder to avoid) - or, simply get behind the wheels & drive. On top of that, to pay $25 per checked luggage and pay $10 onboard for a cold lunch/dinner box. A week's car rental with fees & surcharges plus gas easily top $400 or more ($600 for a hybrid,) unless one opt for Rent-A-Wreck.

As for ship crew's personal happiness, I bet that they are much happier than our combat forces including young women & men stationed abroad fighting the so called "war on terror" that we still aren't winning - if only they too can work 12 to 14 hours a day and then go off-duty and get shore leaves for even half a day in the ports of call.

the cruise industry is not the bargain it once was.

One can not argue with OP's opinions. He is certainly entitled to them. However, it is a different matter when he diverges from the facts. Article after article about the cruise industry has pointed out that, from a dollar standpoint alone, cruising has become more and more a bargain (with, of course, a corresponding decline in service). I would challenge Cruisebug to tell me about a cruise he could have taken 15 or 20 years ago at the inflation-adjusted rate of $45 per day plus $10-$12 tip. And that is something you can now do without spending a single penny more.

I will help OP with his calculation. $45 per day in 2010 is the same as $31 fifteen years ago and $27 twenty years ago. Does anyone think you could have found a mainstream 7 day cruise for $190 in 1990?

Bill

Well, I guess I figure they need our dollars and it's better for them to be supporting their families than living in abject poverty at home. I feel terrible that most of the world cannot live like I live. But if we allow our guilt to stop us from cruising - what does that do to their source of income? And what does that do to the countries that depend on the dollars from cruise ships? So what I do - I know it's not much - is give huge tips to my stewards and wait-people and I spend my money on the little flea-markets and independent sellers rather on the big mega-companies in the ports. I also am careful to be considerate and speak kindly and pick up after myself and not be demanding in any way and give great reviews at the end. I don't pretend this makes the disparity right - and maybe it's selfish in that it helps me live with myself and sleep at night. You have to do what's right for you but for me, this is what I'll do for now. Some day I may decide to live smaller and simpler so I can give away more but for now it works.

I have cruised 39x's:D and I can say directly from some crew members that newer ships have 2 beds with bathroom in between. The older ships before mid 90's had the 4bunk crew cabins. I also know that almost all crew have some sort of cell phone or even iphones. There are also computer cafes at most ports. I had coffee with some crew members and they are allowed to eat in passenger dining rooms, usually have 1 day off and now they can skype home if there homes have it. There was a time in the 80's when they only ate in crew area and were not allowed above deck unless working. Yes crew are suppossed to be happy all the time but we all have bad days. Most of these people cannot wait to get a cruise contract. In new york when the ship comes in many will be shopping at Zara's and going to Strabucks, and Duanne Reade. So I say they are happy, ever been to a crew party? I have it is the best parties I ever been to:cool:

When DW and I first discovered that each of us wanted to try cruising (after 14 years together, great communications skill, eh?:rolleyes:) she said "I didn't think you would be interested in cruising because of all of the time you spent in the Navy". I said "I spent all of that time in the Navy because I love the ocean".

I cruise because that's where the ocean is:D.

At the risk of someone saying "good riddance" (go ahead!) - I have to say that my next cruise (Celebrity Summit in two weeks, and my 17th in 6 years) will be my last for a long time (maybe for good). We were on the 12 day Med loop (NCL Jade) in December and it finally dawned on me that the crew was desperately unhappy (whether overt or not, because the majority still put on their happy faces - but a chat with most revealed they are tired of being away from family and friends for 10 months straight and working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for most of it), We can rationalize all we want - that they are making good money from our tips as opposed to poverty in home countries, but the reality still is that they are working longer and harder than is even legal (much less right) in the countries that the passengers hail from... The ships burn an incredible amount of fuel (can you say $5.00 gasoline and the re-application of fuel charges), service levels are declining, and the cruise industry is not the bargain it once was.

Notwithstanding the many many folks I've convinced to go cruising since my first go round (RCCL Navigator aft balcony) in 2006, it is an absolute fact that all-inclusives are turning into the vacation bargain. With discount websites, you can go to the Caribbean for $800 (all in, including airfare, if you pick the right week or go last minute) to a 5 star resort. It has all the luxury of a suite, plus "free drinks", and a lot less aggravation... No matter how hard the staff work, at least they go home at night, and the fuel burned by the plane to get there is basically the same as flying to the port for a cruise. Land resorts don't have the crowds and bustle of getting on and off at ports. Did I mention unlimited drinks thrown in at no extra cost? True, you don't get the revolving kalidiscope of ports, but that is a good thing about Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor - these sites make it easy to find out which resort to go to...

So the nickel and diming (not to mention my conscience) finally got to me - final tally: 7 RCCL, 7 NCL, 1 Princess, 2 Celebrity. I am still writing my Jade review (NCL is declining, big-time), so will post once more before fading away to a lurker...

For those about to cruise, we salute you. For those thinking about it, check out all-inclusives. They are the new rodents' rear :) and bargain of the year...

An interesting post! I don't agree with all of it but I can see where the OP is coming from.

Personally I just like vacation variety. I have done a number of AIs and they are fine (and I think for the most part, cheaper than a cruise). I drink very little - so free booze holds no special appeal for me. As for the crew on cruiseships - they are no more exploited or badly treated than people who work at big resorts. In both cases the people who take these jobs REALLY need the work. I have talked to a number of staff at the big AIs and some really like their jobs and some don't (a side note - did you know that at the larger resorts, staff MUST live in dorms and are not allowed to have family on site?)

As for the environment, big resorts can have a deletorious effect on the environment as well. (Consider the lack of quiet beaches for sea turtle nesting in Mexico - DIRECTLY linked to large resorts taking all the best beaches. The "good" ones attempt to protect nesting turtles as best they can and make guests aware that the turtles should not be disturbed. Some frankly just don't give a damn).

Personally I like AIs when I just want to totally relax, lie on a beach and swim. If I want to see different islands, I take a cruise. If I want to travel to view a lot of historic sites, art galleries etc (like going to Europe) - I do it on my own. It just depends on the type of vacation I want.

All types of travel have good and bad effects on local economies, environment etc - so I try to do a little research and avoid "worst" case scenarios and really abusive situations (for example I absolutely will NOT participate in dolphin swims and I try to give some business to local people (I like to get my tours from small local vendors)).

To OP - enjoy your vacations - whatever type they may be!

Personally I'd go crazy if I went to one location and stayed in the same place all week, especially if it was the same beach! If I wanted to do that I would have bought a time-share, or what some folks did around here -- "buy a cabin up north (in Wisconsin" and go there every weekend, and for vacations in the summer!

I cruise because I can fly to one destination, get on board, see several ports, not have to drive, worry about finding a hotel the next night, worry about meals, worry about parking, etc. I cruise because it still is an economical way to see a lot of the world I wouldn't otherwise be able to navigate.

Sounds to me like the OP is just tired of cruising. I hope you find other ways to vacation that are more interesting for now.

With all of the talk about AI's I just did a quick check. For my family of 6 we could get an all inclusive stay at a resort in Jamaica for $7302 for 4 nights (and I think that is all of us in 1 room). For the same time frame I could get two oceanview cabins on the Pearl on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary of 7 nights for $3200. That doesn't include getting to the port but we would drive which would cost about $1600, so for $4800 we would have a longer vaction and see more things. Of course YMMV.

would you care to share with us what AI you can go to for a week inc air for $800 a person? I can think of a few locations but most are not terribly desirable and you can cruise for almost the same amount given the right weeks as well.

As for food quality, we have stayed at 3 or 4 AI a couple were 5 Star as well and still the food choices could not compare with the cruise ships. i will not say the food wasn't ok, it was, but just not the same selections.

This is not saying, you do not have some valid points, you do, but $800 a week including air for a 5 Star resort isn't very common if at all. You also do not get the same quality entertainment if any and do not have the pleasure of visiting various locations in one week. You might be able to get a decent deal at some of the AIs in Mexico as they are hurting big time due to the crime, This might go for Domincan Republic as well, but overall, no $800 is not realistic. The biggest advantage, savings wise to AI are for those who drink a lot, but for the rest of us it isn't all that wonderful.

As for the crew, I don't know your experience, maybe it had to do with the time of the year but we make it a point to visit with the crew. Sure they get homesick, but for the most part they do love their jobs or at least the money they are making. Many have been with the same line (regardless of the line) for years.

I believe there is a place for all types of vacations and we should all enjoy the variety. Maybe you have cruised so many times in such a short time the novelty has worn off and the glamour is gone. We used to love Las Vegas, but we did it so much I swore when we were there about 4 years ago we would never go back. We haven't, however we are now starting to miss it again and will probably visit this coming sping or fall.

Nita

I respect your opinion...I would like you to get back to us after a few A-I vacations and let us know how you liked it.

For some (like me), the reason I cruise is to be on a ship, on the water. I will be a cruiser forever.

I understand not everyone feels this way...and I'm glad they don't!! If everyone loved cruising as much as I did I can't imagine how over-crowded the ships would be.

Maybe because I am a water-sign, who knows?? All I know is there is NOTHING like the feeling I get being on a ship. Land vacations are Ok for me. I always have a good time, but being on a ship on the sea is what brings me bliss.

Oh, and as for crew being a little sad....(and I find Celebrity crew to be the absolute MOST miserable...they look as if they're beat regularly) the reality is what the other poster up there said...many Americans are miserable with their jobs as well. I'd wager MOST are.

No one wants to work...we work for a paycheck, not for pleasure.

They call jobs 'work' for a reason.

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

I LOVE THAT!

Do you mind if I steal it????? :D I'd like to put that in my signature :) ...I gave you credit for the quote ;)

I respect your opinion...I would like you to get back to us after a few A-I vacations and let us know how you liked it.

For some (like me), the reason I cruise is to be on a ship, on the water. I will be a cruiser forever.

I understand not everyone feels this way...and I'm glad they don't!! If everyone loved cruising as much as I did I can't imagine how over-crowded the ships would be.

Maybe because I am a water-sign, who knows?? All I know is there is NOTHING like the feeling I get being on a ship. Land vacations are Ok for me. I always have a good time, but being on a ship on the sea is what brings me bliss.

Oh, and as for crew being a little sad....(and I find Celebrity crew to be the absolute MOST miserable...they look as if they're beat regularly) the reality is what the other poster up there said...many Americans are miserable with their jobs as well. I'd wager MOST are.

No one wants to work...we work for a paycheck, not for pleasure.

They call jobs 'work' for a reason.

I LOVE THAT!

Do you mind if I steal it????? :D I'd like to put that in my signature :) ...I gave you credit for the quote ;)

Nope, don't mind at all!:D

So it took you 17 cruises before your conscience kicked in? I guess it's not bothering you that much if you are still going to take your cruise in two weeks from now.

Whatever works for you. Hope you enjoy your cruise and whatever deserved vacations you take from now on.

The OP wrote:

"For those about to cruise, we salute you. For those thinking about it, check out all-inclusives. They are the new rodents' rear :) and bargain of the year... "

You're telling everyone to go on a land AI rather than a cruise?? You mentioned about the workers wages and the long hours they work on a cruise ship.

HAHAHAHA....did you ever notice or talk to the employees working on these land AI's? They work mostly 7 days a week, 12 hour days in the extreme heat with NO breeze even. I can also guarantee you they make less and get treated much worse than the employees of a cruise ship!

Go support the highly paid workers with great benefits of the land all inclusives.:cool:

I think the hours the crew work are exaggerated. The ILO allows for 10 hour work days 7 days per week. There may be some violations and flexibility, but the cruise lines are held to those standards. On NCL crew members earn some time off by getting a number of good comments on the STYLE cards turned in by guests.

As has been stated, they choose to make the sacrifices to help themselves and their families, and should be commended for their desire to better their lives.

Archived