Tired of NCL, the whole deal...

i have booked customers on AI and I can assure everyone, they are more expensive if one wants the really highly rated ones. As I have said, there are a few advantages: 1-free booze and 2-no tipping required (in some cases, not allowed) To me, AI are great for the 4 or 5 day getaways, but for 7 or more days cruisning is a better value. Oh, one more thing, if people want to do things like golf daily, then yes, AI can be a good vacation.

That makes sense, all of my cruises have been 7-nights.

I did a few AI's in the 90's before discovering cruising. The key advantages of cuising for us were:

1) Variety of port locations

2) Diverse choices of food including special diets

3) More/better activities and entertainment

That makes sense, all of my cruises have been 7-nights.

I did a few AI's in the 90's before discovering cruising. The key advantages of cuising for us were:

1) Variety of port locations

2) Diverse choices of food including special diets

3) More/better activities and entertainment

My reason for choosing cruising are identical to yours.

Nita

I love all-inclusive resorts...if I want to just dive the whole week and there are a ton of dive sites at that location (e.g. Bonaire, NA or Utila, Honduras, recently...though these technically aren't AIs because drinks are not typically included...but you aren't supposed to drink and dive anyway!). I personally enjoy cruises for the simple fact that you only have to unpack once yet get to see so many different locales (3-5 on the cruises on which I have been, so far). You really can't beat that for variety. I am also one of those folks that loves the ocean, but really isn't fond of the beach...so cruising makes more sense than camping out on a hot, sandy (gritty), suntan-lotion-smelling beach. I'd rather be in the water than on the sand at an AI. cheers2.gif

I think we sometimes get tired of the "same old thing" and even though you are seeing new ports, maybe new ships, the "experience" can be the same. DH has started to grumble because for the last three year we have been cruising twice a year and not doing any land trips - so maybe you are just burnt out?? As for the crew, last May when we were on the Pearl in Alaska some of the crew did not seem very happy - but after asking some questions, one admitted that he did not like the cold... and if you were recently on the Jade, maybe it was too cold for them? Maybe they also get tired of the same old ship, same old ports, cold, hot, etc. I would think that if they are at the end of a contract, they may also be more anxious to go... until they get the bug to work on a ship again. One crew member told me she loved having several months off between contracts to do nothing. And they get health insurance, good tips, and are able to save most of there money since all of their living expenses are taken care of - it was really working for her. They work very hard, and even though I am on vacation, I try to make their jobs easier - I keep my living space as clean and tidy as possible, I don't trash the public restrooms, I keep my dining manners in the dining areas and I don't make a lot of mess. I try to show them as much respect as they deserve for all their hard work. If every passenger tried to be more respectful, then the work would be a lot easier:)

I booked several future cruises (through 2011) before the price increase last spring. One of the reasons we have been cruising is because it has been so economical. But even with last years price increases cruising is still a deal when you factor in travel costs, food, lodging and entertainment.

I won't be cruising as much in 2012, but it will be because DH wants something new, not because cruising has let me down. OP, I hope you enjoy your "time away" and will be on the high seas loving it again in the future.

..........I had coffee with some crew members and they are allowed to eat in passenger dining rooms,............

And what crew might that have been? You're making it sound like the cabin stewards, and all the crew for that matter, are allowed to eat in passenger dining room.

Oh, and as for crew being a little sad....(and I find Celebrity crew to be the absolute MOST miserable...they look as if they're beat................ regularly)

I respect your opinion as well but have you been on more than the one Celebrity cruise listed in your signature? If not, it's never fair to judge on one time.;):)

If by "holidays" you mean Christmas, then only the European or Phillipino crew would celebrate at this time. If from Indonesia, etc they are likely to be either Muslim or Hindu and wouldn't celebrate Christmas anyway.

At least they are on a cruiseship and not a warship. Or stuck in Afghanistan for months on end like so many of our service men and women. They have a lot to be thankful for and I think they appreciate this.

It sounds like you are "jaded" and need a break from cruising. Forget all-inclusive, try a beach-hut on a beach in SE Asia. Much more fun.

Even in resorts, there are plenty of staff whose homes are in cities but they have to work in the resorts so they are away from home too.

I understand your sentiment, but when we went to an AI this summer, their social staff, was at the resort hosting activities from 9:00 a.m. on and they were working at the club running contests, etc until after 1:30 a.m. I'm not condoning this treatment, but I'm just saying AIs are not all that much better.

At the risk of someone saying "good riddance" (go ahead!) - I have to say that my next cruise (Celebrity Summit in two weeks, and my 17th in 6 years) will be my last for a long time (maybe for good). We were on the 12 day Med loop (NCL Jade) in December and it finally dawned on me that the crew was desperately unhappy (whether overt or not, because the majority still put on their happy faces - but a chat with most revealed they are tired of being away from family and friends for 10 months straight and working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for most of it), We can rationalize all we want - that they are making good money from our tips as opposed to poverty in home countries, but the reality still is that they are working longer and harder than is even legal (much less right) in the countries that the passengers hail from... The ships burn an incredible amount of fuel (can you say $5.00 gasoline and the re-application of fuel charges), service levels are declining, and the cruise industry is not the bargain it once was.

Notwithstanding the many many folks I've convinced to go cruising since my first go round (RCCL Navigator aft balcony) in 2006, it is an absolute fact that all-inclusives are turning into the vacation bargain. With discount websites, you can go to the Caribbean for $800 (all in, including airfare, if you pick the right week or go last minute) to a 5 star resort. It has all the luxury of a suite, plus "free drinks", and a lot less aggravation... No matter how hard the staff work, at least they go home at night, and the fuel burned by the plane to get there is basically the same as flying to the port for a cruise. Land resorts don't have the crowds and bustle of getting on and off at ports. Did I mention unlimited drinks thrown in at no extra cost? True, you don't get the revolving kalidiscope of ports, but that is a good thing about Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor - these sites make it easy to find out which resort to go to...

So the nickel and diming (not to mention my conscience) finally got to me - final tally: 7 RCCL, 7 NCL, 1 Princess, 2 Celebrity. I am still writing my Jade review (NCL is declining, big-time), so will post once more before fading away to a lurker...

For those about to cruise, we salute you. For those thinking about it, check out all-inclusives. They are the new rodents' rear :) and bargain of the year...

I understand your complaints/comments about cruising. I suppose that much depends on what you are looking for in travel. We like cruising primarily as a way to see the itinerary that we want to see without constantly changing hotel, driving a car or riding in a train with taxis to and from trainstations. Also, we like going to ports in Europe, North Africa or elsewhere that have some historical interest.

Frankly, for that reason, the Caribbean is low on our priorities for cruising.

We like the low price cruises where you pay more for what you want. Going on a cruise to relax is not our objective. Sure, we relax after a day of touring, or a sea day, after going to the gym, a swim or whatever.

I found the Norweigan Gem crew and staff to be pretty positive and upbeat, as well as friendly. This was July, and I don't know how far into the contract, but hopefully our next cruise on the Jade in March will be just as good.

Enjoy your vacation, whereever you go.

Nope, don't mind at all!:D

Thank you!! :D

I respect your opinion as well but have you been on more than the one Celebrity cruise listed in your signature? If not, it's never fair to judge on one time.;):)

You're absolutely right. It is not fair at all to judge after just one cruise.

However, there were a couple reasons I didn't find X to be my cup of tea...most of them I could over look and it would not hamper me to try them again..but the crew was the thing that sticks out in my mind the most.

The reason I find that I love NCL (one of the reasons and to me it's a BIG one) is the crew honestly seems to really love what they do. My favorite NCL cruise was on a Dawn repo..the crew were so amazing..unlike any other crew I had sailed with before...and when I asked a few about how they liked their jobs, their responses were all sincere and all said the same. They felt like one big, happy family working under Hugo. He treated them so well..... therefore, they treated us well.

Not that the Celebrity crew didn't treat us well, they did, but they were like robots.

It is far nicer for me to sail with a happy crew. I was very uncomfortable with the crew on X. That cruise was also a repo. It could be because the passengers on that ship were a handful...old and very demanding. But at that time my dd was thinking about taking Cruise Hospitality as a minor at Johnson & Whales and I was asking that crew how they liked their jobs the answers were all the same.

"I cannot answer that."

That in itself says a lot....

When I finally spotted a happy crew member in the ship store on the next to the last day of that cruise I said to her, "Wow, you're so happy today!"...her reply was, "I'm being transfered to a Royal Caribbean Ship tomorrow and I can't wait!!"

So, yes, it is unfair to judge after one sailing...and I will try Celebrity again one day, I'm sure...but it didn't leave me with an urgency to do so.

However, there were a couple reasons I didn't find X to be my cup of tea...most of them I could over look and it would not hamper me to try them again..but the crew was the thing that sticks out in my mind the most.

The reason I find that I love NCL (one of the reasons and to me it's a BIG one) is the crew honestly seems to really love what they do. My favorite NCL cruise was on a Dawn repo..the crew were so amazing..unlike any other crew I had sailed with before...and when I asked a few about how they liked their jobs, their responses were all sincere and all said the same. They felt like one big, happy family working under Hugo. He treated them so well..... therefore, they treated us well.

Not that the Celebrity crew didn't treat us well, they did, but they were like robots.

It is far nicer for me to sail with a happy crew. I was very uncomfortable with the crew on X. That cruise was also a repo. It could be because the passengers on that ship were a handful...old and very demanding. But at that time my dd was thinking about taking Cruise Hospitality as a minor at Johnson & Whales and I was asking that crew how they liked their jobs the answers were all the same.

"I cannot answer that."

When I finally spotted a happy crew member in the ship store on the next to the last day of that cruise I said to her, "Wow, you're so happy today!"...her reply was, "I'm being transfered to a Royal Caribbean Ship tomorrow and I can't wait!!"

So, yes, it is unfair to judge after one sailing...and I will try Celebrity again one day, I'm sure...but it didn't leave me with an urgency to do so.

We have sailed X three times and our biggest complaint has been the crew (overall, there certainly were exceptions) the activities dept was what was really lacking. They seemed to wish they could be doing anything other than playing games with us. On one cruise, we only had about 5 or 6 people wanting to play the morning trivia and the gal actually said, if we didn't get more to play she just wasn't going to bother. Luckily about 3 or 4 more people did show up. Then on the progressive or battle of the sexes, someone questioned one of the answers and the leader said, I just ask the questions I don't write the answers, so you have no choice but to take my word for it. I agree with her, but there is a nicer way of saying things.

This isn't saying I would never cruise Celebrity again, but I think we all have to make our choices and what works for you and me, may not for others. I can only cruise once or twice a year at most, we have to decide what we want from a cruise and from our vacation experience.

Nita

There is an old expression (that I have cleaned up for the purposes of this board)..... "For every beautiful woman, there is always at least one guy who got tired of making love to her"

The same is true of every cruise ship, line, or cruising in general.

There is no "right or wrong" with opinions, and even if there is a fact-flawed basis for an opinion, perception makes it a reality for the person involved....

Everyone should just enjoy what it is they enjoy, and let others do the same.

"I cannot answer that."

I found just the opposite with regard to the crew. On Celebrity I thought the crew all looked happy and we very customer service friendly, but on NCL I saw just the opposite. On Celebrity the crew went over and above to please the passengers and I didn't find that on NCL. I guess everyone has a different opinion and that is what makes the world go around.

I found just the opposite with regard to the crew. On Celebrity I thought the crew all looked happy and we very customer service friendly, but on NCL I saw just the opposite. On Celebrity the crew went over and above to please the passengers and I didn't find that on NCL. I guess everyone has a different opinion and that is what makes the world go around.

The crew on X did go above and beyond for us...I can't explain exactly what it was like, but they were more 'servant-like'.

*sigh*

I just can't think of how to properly describe it...it was a feeling.

For us, the crew on NCL seems to do what they do with joy...on Celebrity they did not seem joyful at all.

Like I said, they came across as skittish and fearful.

Our service was very professionsl and they were very attentive...but robotic.

The crew on X did go above and beyond for us...I can't explain exactly what it was like, but they were more 'servant-like'.

*sigh*

I just can't think of how to properly describe it...it was a feeling.

For us, the crew on NCL seems to do what they do with joy...on Celebrity they did not seem joyful at all.

Like I said, they came across as skittish and fearful.

Our service was very professionsl and they were very attentive...but robotic.

Maybe it is how we see things - I found the NCL crew to be surly at best, while I found Celebrity crew to be very friendly....I took it was one crew liking their job and the other not. Oh well, like I said different opinions make the world go around.

i think more than anything it simply has to do the the luck of the draw and the particular sailing. We have had a couple of experiences with less than friendly crew members, the one I mentioned on Celeberity (it was the worst) one experience on Princess and a couple on RCI. So far none on NCL. We didn't have great service on our Spirit cruise a few years ago (cabin stewards) but they were certainly friendly enough.

Our experience has been similar to Halos. Celebrity (expecially the sailing I referred to earlier) was just plain not personable. Our waiter spent a couple of minutes every night telling us how hard he worked for us, while forgetting to give 2 people at our table menues twice on a 5 day cruise. It was little things like that. On our first Celebrity cruise everything was great.

Nita

Well, I disagree with you about the crew. If you came to my work sometimes I am disgrunted too:). But honestly, I have spent time in 3rd world countries and while the sacrifice the crew makes is tough, they are doing what they have to do to make a MUCH better life them themselves and family. And, no matter if you cruise or not, they will still be toiling just the same.

If is nice to mix up vacations, and AI's are great as well. We are lucky to get allot of vaca time. We try to do an AI, a cruise or two, some more local trips, and at least one volunteer 'workcation' every year. This tends to break things up and make each experience more special. My parents have freinds who have literally cruised 60 times, and I really don't think they even have fun anymore. Enjoy whatever you do!

At the risk of someone saying "good riddance" (go ahead!) - I have to say that my next cruise (Celebrity Summit in two weeks, and my 17th in 6 years) will be my last for a long time (maybe for good). We were on the 12 day Med loop (NCL Jade) in December and it finally dawned on me that the crew was desperately unhappy (whether overt or not, because the majority still put on their happy faces - but a chat with most revealed they are tired of being away from family and friends for 10 months straight and working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for most of it), We can rationalize all we want - that they are making good money from our tips as opposed to poverty in home countries, but the reality still is that they are working longer and harder than is even legal (much less right) in the countries that the passengers hail from... The ships burn an incredible amount of fuel (can you say $5.00 gasoline and the re-application of fuel charges), service levels are declining, and the cruise industry is not the bargain it once was.

Notwithstanding the many many folks I've convinced to go cruising since my first go round (RCCL Navigator aft balcony) in 2006, it is an absolute fact that all-inclusives are turning into the vacation bargain. With discount websites, you can go to the Caribbean for $800 (all in, including airfare, if you pick the right week or go last minute) to a 5 star resort. It has all the luxury of a suite, plus "free drinks", and a lot less aggravation... No matter how hard the staff work, at least they go home at night, and the fuel burned by the plane to get there is basically the same as flying to the port for a cruise. Land resorts don't have the crowds and bustle of getting on and off at ports. Did I mention unlimited drinks thrown in at no extra cost? True, you don't get the revolving kalidiscope of ports, but that is a good thing about Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor - these sites make it easy to find out which resort to go to...

So the nickel and diming (not to mention my conscience) finally got to me - final tally: 7 RCCL, 7 NCL, 1 Princess, 2 Celebrity. I am still writing my Jade review (NCL is declining, big-time), so will post once more before fading away to a lurker...

For those about to cruise, we salute you. For those thinking about it, check out all-inclusives. They are the new rodents' rear :) and bargain of the year...

I can understand this as I feel the same way about AI's. After 4 days I was bored out of my mind even with the unlimited and endless drinks. I found that after trying 4 different AI places that they are not the vacation for me.

Instead we purchased a DVC at Disney World and although there is a lot to do, it's not always the happiest place on earth. Some employees do get burnt out or are just having a bad day. Food in DW is expensive and not very good most of the time. In a span of 10 days we ate at 3 restaurants a couple times and each time was so different (from good to really bad) that we couldn't figure out what was going on. During that entire trip I will say that 2 or 3 meals at best were very good. But people say you don't go there for the food.:rolleyes: Unfortunately you do still have to eat.

Cruises are more to my liking. So you can have my places at the AI's and I'll take your place on a cruise.

It's great that there is always something for everybody and I hope your next vacation is a good one.

Oh and by the way, global warming is a myth.;)

i think more than anything it simply has to do the the luck of the draw and the particular sailing. We have had a couple of experiences with less than friendly crew members, the one I mentioned on Celeberity (it was the worst) one experience on Princess and a couple on RCI. So far none on NCL. We didn't have great service on our Spirit cruise a few years ago (cabin stewards) but they were certainly friendly enough.

Our experience has been similar to Halos. Celebrity (expecially the sailing I referred to earlier) was just plain not personable. Our waiter spent a couple of minutes every night telling us how hard he worked for us, while forgetting to give 2 people at our table menues twice on a 5 day cruise. It was little things like that. On our first Celebrity cruise everything was great.

Nita

I agree....much of it is the luck of the draw. The same is true with restaurants, hotels, department stores, etc. . The experience you have can change from one time to the next. We've always had good experiences with the crew on all of the ships and have enjoyed interacting with them.

I cruise because I love it...being on the ship is what it is all about...When we a cruising the Caribbean, I could care less about the islands I am going to, getting there is all the fun for me...Friends ask me where are you cruising to and I am like "the ship is my island "...

• 3 weeks later...

To each his own. I've only been on three cruises so far, last one was in '09. We have been doing land vacas since. Cruising is a great way to get a taste of different ports you might want to explore later on future land vacas. We stopped at St. Thomas on one of our cruises and decided we should go back and stay a few days we did twice and we loved it each time! We just got back from Hawaii in December and let me tell you with all of these new TSA rules flying is a real pain in the ___! I told DH this year we are going back to cruising. We don't have to fly and I miss being out on the water.

The OP is correct on her pricing for AI's from Toronto. Of course most of them are to Cuba, Cancun area, and parts of DR including Puerta Plata. Have seen them at the last minute from $300-$400 plus $300.00 or so in taxes for a week especially to Cuba. My sister has often booked AI vacations 6 months in advance at 4 and 5 star resorts in the Cancun and the Mayan Riviera areas for $800-$900 all in. You would not see these prices on vacations to the islands that start with St., or Barbados, Aruba etc. though.

We mix up our vacations and cruises but like to explore on our own and hit the local restaurants so have not done any AI's as of yet.

Get me on a cruise ship and my stress level is at zero! Land vacation...flying, traveling to the resort from the airport, spending time in one place, and then traveling to the airport again, flying home...stress level about to burst! I love the ocean, the relaxing atmosphere on the ship, Freestyle cruising, ahhhhhhh, life is good. I don't much care what people have to say about cruising, everyone has their own opinion. It works for us, that's all that matters. Maybe some people expect more from the crew than we do, but I have never been disappointed with the crew on any cruise we have taken. I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot...although it is my experience on NCL that they certainly try to get as close to that as they can...LOL, I even make my own bed most mornings! As for food, I have always been able to find something I like whether in the MDR, specialty restaurant or buffet, even when it is not the best I've ever had it is still good...I've never gone hungry on a cruise! So OP, enjoy your land vacation, but give me a cruise any day!

I'm not sure why the OP chose to tell us of her decision to go land =ho instead of sea. I love ships so I will continue to go on them To justify monetarily is neither here nor there . I do not care for land vacations stuck in one resort In some places it is actually dangerous to leave compounds I would not venture out in Mexico nowadays nor Dominican Republic or other places where unrest and discontent is rampant

Unfortunately look at the world today ...so much unhappiness,such economic woes really not to o many SAFE places to spend time in

By all means go on land vacations...I will stick to ships...

Archived