Arctic Circle Air Adventure

SuzyQ123

We are going in July to Alaska with Princess. Any benefit between morning,afternoon & evening flights? Anyone been on this tour before?

With Princess, forget it. They upcharge the whole thing. Just another no-no in my book for Princess tours. They are a TOTAL RIP and have made the local tour operators "bend over" just to get a piece of the Princess cruise ship business. The split this year is 60% tour operator-40% Princess and Princess does NOTHING except book the trip.

You can EASILY do this trip on your own. But the tour you are looking at is A BUST. Flying around is NOT the way to see the North country.

Look at what this company out of Fairbanks offers: http://www.northernalaska.com/

Pick your poison.

FAR Superior to anything the cruise line offers.

. Flying around is NOT the way to see the North country.

Look at what this company out of Fairbanks offers: http://www.northernalaska.com/

Pick your poison.

FAR Superior to anything the cruise line offers.

I checked out the link you provided. Since you don't think flying is a good way to see the North Country, which of the tours they offer would you recommend?

I agree a round trip flight isn't the best choice, as it is in no way, one of the "scenic" flightseeing areas, on the general "Arctic" circle trips. BUT, if you are going to Anaktuvuk Pass, that is a highlight, but, also, not on the "tours", just the flightseeing.

One of the best options in my opinion are the fly/ground tour combos. Takes most of the day, but offers excellent sightseeing. You also want to avoid the round trip bus tours, simply way too long.

I have done a lot of "arctic" flying, including time in Barrow, Bettles, Fort Yukon (a yawn), Coldfoot, Anaktuvuk Pass. This year, will finally make Prudhoe Bay. Previous on the Dalton, I've only made it as far as Wiseman.

I checked out the link you provided. Since you don't think flying is a good way to see the North Country, which of the tours they offer would you recommend?

In my opinion, the best day trip is the Arctic Circle Drive/fly. Or consider just taking a cargo flight run, which I've done several times with a Fairbanks air vendor.

As Budget Queen posted, the Princess trip is just a flight around the area for an hour or so. Expensive and pretty worthless. But of course, you do get an Arctic Circle certifcate. The plane doesn't land so you just go flying around. From the Princess shore excursion listing:

"Arctic Circle Air Adventure – Fly north and marvel at the vast gold mining fields still in operation after 100 years. You’ll see the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, crossover the mighty Yukon River, the Arctic Circle and magnificent Brooks Range. Receive an official Arctic Circle Adventure Certificate and learn the fascinating story of this remote place."

There was one trip that I looked into a few years ago. Even the people at Northern Alaska tour (who offered the trip) stated it was very "staged" when you landed for a short time-almost like a play. And the Princess trip doesn't land anyplace.

IMHO, it is much more interesting to actually SEE the pipeline up close than just fly over it. Stand under it and watch the teflon rollers work. SEE the muskox up close and personal.

With the fly/drive trips, even the day trips are far superior to what Princess offers. Now if the OP doesn't have the time to devote a whole day out of Fairbanks, that is a whole 'nother story.

Archived