Alasksa via Princess: pools?

TimInOhio

I've been researching the average temperatures for Alaska during cruise season, and I have a question: are the pools open for an Alaska cruise aboard a Princess ship? What about the hot tubs? Thanks!

TimInOhio

I heard they use the pools for ice skating:p j/k

Pools & hot tubs open. Some ships have a covered pool.

on the sapphire princess, there are 2 pools. one is covered and the other open to the elements. i believe they are heated but i just don't remember now. and they have about 6 or so hot tubs and some were in the covered area and some in the open. we went in may and there were ALOT of kids in the covered pool that was supposed to be the "adults only" pool. but since most of the adults weren't using the pools then the kids made good use of it. didn't bother us because we weren't going to be swimming anyways. hope that answers your question.

on the sapphire princess, there are 2 pools. one is covered and the other open to the elements.

According to the deck plans, I see the Terrace Pool (Aloha deck aft), Calypso Reef & Pool and Neptune's Reef & Pool (Lido deck midship), and the Lap Pool (Sun deck forward, in Lotus Spa), plus the splash pools in the Youth Center. Are you saying, Buddy & Bella, that either the Calypso Reef & Pool or the Neptune's Reef & Pool is covered? And by "covered," do you mean covered and not in use, or covered overhead and enclosed so that it is sheltered from the elements? Thanks!!!

When we were on the Sapphire, people were in the hot tub, while we all were viewing Glacier Bay. Quite a sight all these people bundled up to their ears and then a hearty few in the hot tub lounging away. Though I did see them partaking of beverages too, which might of helped with keeping them warm too :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

On the Sapphire the Neptune (Lido deck) pool is covered with a retractable roof. This pool is used quite a bit. The hot tubs were in constant use on our cruise. Of course it was July and we had beautiful weather. I think all of the pools are heated and are fresh water pools. If you watch the video in my signature line you will see a couple of the pools.

Happy Cruising!:)

We sailed Island Princess in July through Alaska. The indoor pool and hot tubs were always opened. The outdoor pools and hot tubs were sometimes closed but not on sea days. Also, worth mentioning is that they did heat the outdoor pool but not the indoor one.

If you're considering Island Princess, check out my review of this cruise:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope it helps!

TimInOhio,

Yes, most ships have a covered pool.

If my information is correct, on the smaller ships, like the Coral, the small, Lotus Spa 'adult' pool is covered. On the Diamond and Sapphire it is one of the larger main pools that is covered.

(so, some of what is mentioned by buddy and bella above may not be entirely correct)

I am looking at sailing the Diamond on the 'Voyage to the glaciers' itinerary, Southbound. Two reasons:

1. I feel that this itinerary is better, with both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

2. Traveling with our son, having the larger pool, instead of the little Lotus Spa adult lap pool, as the all-weather covered pool is a big consideration.

Hope this helps!

TimInOhio,

Yes, most ships have a covered pool.

If my information is correct, on the smaller ships, like the Coral, the small, Lotus Spa 'adult' pool is covered. On the Diamond and Sapphire it is one of the larger main pools that is covered.

I am looking at sailing the Diamond on the 'Voyage to the glaciers' itinerary, Southbound. Two reasons:

1. I feel that this itinerary is better, with both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

2. Traveling with our son, having the larger pool, instead of the little Lotus Spa adult lap pool, covered is a big consideration.

Hope this helps!

FYI - Coral and Island are sister ship and have similar layouts. The Lotus Pool is the covered, indoor pool but, when I sailed the Island in July, the Lotus Pool was NOT adults only. We shared the pool with kids. Also, we had the same itinerary that went to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I was choosing between Diamond, Coral, and Island when I booked my 2010 cruise and all of the itineraries were the same. A difference you may want to look into is embarkation day. We found that sailing on a Monday was cheaper for us in airfare than Saturday but it may not be the case for you. Something to look into!

I have some more details about which Princess ship to pick for Alaska on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/414/

Hope it helps!

Archived