Cruise ships allow service dogs of all sizes

I love the picture of Muffin and admire what you have been able to teach her, but really, not surprized. Dogs are wonderful and will do so many things with good training and the right bond. I would suggest that if anyone really wants (or needs) a service dog, not to let $$ rule it out. There are many orginizations in the US that do not charge for the dog and indeed will assist or cover aftercare for the life of the dog. Do some searching on the internet and other sources. As Roz has suggested Canine Companions for Independence is a wonderful group with many success stories. Canine Assistants is another orginization that does not charge for their dogs.

Well, I have one of those as well. lol

Muffin actually has very little interest in the chickens, which is probably just a fortunate quirk of her personality rather than training.

She carries or opens bags of chicken feed, and will herd them. I haven't been able to get her to collect eggs yet...well, collect them and not wander away with them for a snack. She will pick them up, but there's a disconnect we have that I hold out my hand and she drops them on the ground.

Than she eats it. LOL

She will also drag a hay bale but that's been spotty. :)

Perhaps it is an intentional disconnect so she can get a snack!! ;) All parts of eggs (including the shells) are good for dogs, although cooked eggs are safer, of course. But ppl who feed raw feed their dogs raw eggs, so I don't think it is often that a dog gets ill from raw eggs.

She sounds very helpful with the other stuff, though! :) That would be pretty funny to see a dog herd chickens!

I have to still respectfully disagree with you. There is no such thing as legally disabled. There are guidelines as to how the ADA interprets someone to be disabled, namely:

3. Q: Who does the ADA protect?

A: The ADA covers a wide range of individuals with disabilities. An individual is considered to have a "disability" if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

http://www.ada.gov/q%26a_law.htm

That's a Q&A, not the ADA. The ADA clearly states who is and who isn't disabled. If one does not fall under the definition of person with a disability, they are not legally disabled. They do not qualify for a service dog, therefore. A person with a broken leg does not qualify as disabled. A person with a chronically sore pinky does not qualify as disabled. A person who has arthritis that prevents them from getting items and/or walking normally does qualify as disabled. A person whose vision is non-existant or poor qualifies as disabled, a.k.a. legally blind.

This is the current ADA: http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html

This is the soon-to-be-enacted ADA: http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/reg3_2010.html

You can read all the definitions in there, including who qualifies as a person with a disability and what qualifies as a service animal.

I honestly feel this thread is more about who is "more" disabled and possibly some people with service dogs aren't kosher to seeing someone use a service dog, when they personally feel the disabled person in question doesn't need them, or isn't disabled "enough".

Most ppl with service dogs don't have a problem with anybody who is legally disabled having a service dog. It is the ppl who fake a disability and/or fake a service dog who we have a problem with. They create a bad name for service dogs, as they take pets who haven't been trained to the very high standards as service dogs into places - when the pet misbehaves, it makes ppl (who don't normally see service dogs on a regular basis, if not at all) think that's typical of service dogs because that is typical of pets and that's all they know. A lot of ppl don't realize a dog can behave as impeccably as service dogs behave.

Not every medical condition is disabling, but some ppl have tried to claim that and try to pass their pet or emotional support animal off as a service dog. Some disabled ppl have also tried passing a pet off as a service dog when it has not been trained to do anything for them, which is the major requirement for a dog to legally be a service dog.

Then you have the folks who are "disabled enough" (as you'd say) for a service dog and would greatly benefit from one, but they don't think they qualify. These are the ppl who need to learn more about service dogs and realize they can get one so they have the help they need.

That's a Q&A, not the ADA. The ADA clearly states who is and who isn't disabled. If one does not fall under the definition of person with a disability, they are not legally disabled. They do not qualify for a service dog, therefore. A person with a broken leg does not qualify as disabled. A person with a chronically sore pinky does not qualify as disabled. A person who has arthritis that prevents them from getting items and/or walking normally does qualify as disabled. A person whose vision is non-existant or poor qualifies as disabled, a.k.a. legally blind.

This is the current ADA: http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html

This is the soon-to-be-enacted ADA: http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/reg3_2010.html

You can read all the definitions in there, including who qualifies as a person with a disability and what qualifies as a service animal.

Most ppl with service dogs don't have a problem with anybody who is legally disabled having a service dog. It is the ppl who fake a disability and/or fake a service dog who we have a problem with. They create a bad name for service dogs, as they take pets who haven't been trained to the very high standards as service dogs into places - when the pet misbehaves, it makes ppl (who don't normally see service dogs on a regular basis, if not at all) think that's typical of service dogs because that is typical of pets and that's all they know. A lot of ppl don't realize a dog can behave as impeccably as service dogs behave.

Not every medical condition is disabling, but some ppl have tried to claim that and try to pass their pet or emotional support animal off as a service dog. Some disabled ppl have also tried passing a pet off as a service dog when it has not been trained to do anything for them, which is the major requirement for a dog to legally be a service dog.

Then you have the folks who are "disabled enough" (as you'd say) for a service dog and would greatly benefit from one, but they don't think they qualify. These are the ppl who need to learn more about service dogs and realize they can get one so they have the help they need.

All of what you've said, Quam is very well stated. Thank you!

BTW, the worst area for fake service dogs is San Francisco. The city gives out California service dog tags to anybody who asks for them - including hoodlums with vicious dogs! And they take those dogs into public places! The businesses are trained to allow anybody with a CA service dog tag to bring their dog in. Not good.

You should be able to find some newspaper articles about this if you do a Google search. Last one I read was likely at least a year ago, but there may be more recent ones I haven't seen.

BTW, the worst area for fake service dogs is San Francisco. The city gives out California service dog tags to anybody who asks for them - including hoodlums with vicious dogs! And they take those dogs into public places! The businesses are trained to allow anybody with a CA service dog tag to bring their dog in. Not good.

You should be able to find some newspaper articles about this if you do a Google search. Last one I read was likely at least a year ago, but there may be more recent ones I haven't seen.

Brenda's been there many times, we never had a problem and even saw another CCI dog while we were walking near the Embarcadero.

Brenda's been there many times, we never had a problem and even saw another CCI dog while we were walking near the Embarcadero.

You might not have any access issues, especially if Brenda has a CCI vest on (instead of a generic one from a Web site), but there is a huge issue with fake service dogs there. They can be aggressive! So, do keep your distance if you see other "service dogs" there unless you know they are true service dogs.

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me how to research the rules regarding bringing service dogs into different ports. We are planing cruises to Northern Europe and Central & South America this year. As I never had a service dog before, I am unfamiliar with the process. The information about working with the cruise line has been most helpful. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Can you tell me how to research the rules regarding bringing service dogs into different ports. We are planing cruises to Northern Europe and Central & South America this year. As I never had a service dog before, I am unfamiliar with the process. The information about working with the cruise line has been most helpful. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

First, specific ports may have different requirements. Your Vet may have all the answers you need for the various ports you'll be visiting. Mine did and it was so helpful.

Also, the cruiselines Access Care Departments may have what you need, as well.

What cruiseline are you thinking of?

We were on Costa Cruises to Brazil, out of Florida and we had to have a rabies titer test done within 72 hours of travel and of course all of the other paperwork [which is mentioned on the previous pages of this thread.] Most importantly a recent Vet check which will list the dogs immunization record and use of Heartguard and Flea & Tick abatement.

We found that although most of the people in South America were friendly, the shop keepers and the lack of leash laws for stray dogs was, sometimes, unbearable. It was a "hit" or a "miss" when entering some shops and walking down the street. I would keep walking through but was asked to leave in a few shops and, found myself having to shew away a few stray dogs [who had mange] and wanted to get closer to my dog. It's uncomfortable.

Remember, you don't have the ADA to protect you so if you're asked to leave, you simply have to leave and, their laws regarding dogs who roam their streets is non-existant.

Also, when traveling in some of these countries the entrances to the shops have [sometimes] very tall steps to enter them. If you are unable to step-up or use a wheel chair you really can't get into them. And, the sidewalks can be non-existant, with cobblestone or dirt streets.

All of the above can be dealt with but can be very challenging, at times.

I did it. I loved it. I managed to have a wonderful time, albeit difficult at moments but so worth it. I could not have done it alone. Having my DH as a "look-out" and assisting when he could made all the difference in the world.

You may leave your dog onboard while you go exploring. I don't do this, I need her by my side. But, it can be done, if you have someone who can be with you or if you're a good explorer on your own. Your dog will be left in your cabin, with the knowledge of your Steward who will not open the door. You'll leave the necessary water/food until you return.

We have been lucky to find crew members who wanted to walk or play with Brenda and we allowed them to do so for short periods. If you befriend your Steward and are comfortable with him/her checking in on your dog this is a very doable scenerio.

I hope some of this helps you. And, most importantly go cruising; take your dog, you'll love having him/her with you and you'll be able to work through any pitfalls that are thrown at you....Hey, if you can work with a dog, you surely can work with some of the above issues!!!! :)

You may leave your dog onboard while you go exploring. I don't do this, I need her by my side. But, it can be done, if you have someone who can be with you or if you're a good explorer on your own. Your dog will be left in your cabin, with the knowledge of your Steward who will not open the door. You'll leave the necessary water/food until you return.

Some cruiselines have rules against leaving your service animal onboard unattended.

From the Royal Caribbean website:

If the guest chooses to disembark the ship at a port at which the service animal must remain onboard, the guest must make arrangements to ensure that the animal is cared for. Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the animal, nor can the animal be left in the stateroom unattended.

From the Holland America website:

If you do not have the proper documentation and proof of vaccinations for your service animal required at a port of call, or if there are local quarantine requirements, your service animal will be denied the right to leave the ship. In this case, you will need to remain on board in order to take care of your service animal. Service animals may not be left unattended on the vessel or in your stateroom at any time.

Some cruiselines have rules against leaving your service animal onboard unattended.

From the Royal Caribbean website:

I have not found a destination or RCCI ship that I chose to cruise yet. I can't say I will NEVER cruise them.....I don't like to say NEVER about any possible cruise vacation.

And, when we first started cruising with Brenda in 2004, it was so, so difficult to get her onboard, to get the pottybox arrangement correct, etc., etc. It's so much easier now. I know more and certainly the cruiseships have learned a lot.

From the Holland America website:

Brenda was attended to by the Assistant Cruise Director onboard the Oosterdam [Holland America.] As a matter of fact, I had a difficult time keeping him away. He's the one who always wanted to walk her and stay alone with her in our cabin. He loved being with her. Rules are made to be followed, especially when you're dealing with the general public. That being said; if you have the right attitude and are comfortable with someone onboard and if you attain a good repore with the Hotel Manager and show how well behaved your Service Dog is [and, always should be], anything is possible.

Carnival Cruise Lines actually gave us a door sign that said: "Service Dog Inside DO NOT OPEN DOOR". And, Princess supplies your Service Dog with it's own Life Vest and will "reserve" a seat for you and your dog in the Theatre.

It's all in how YOU act and present yourself; how your dog acts and your attitude. We're now treated very, very well onboard cruiseships [on different lines] and, that's why it is my favorite way to vacation.

Hi I just have a quick question for everyone...what is the process of getting a service dog like. My husband and I have been looking into it for a little bit, but we are a little hesitant...Just a quick bit of background...my husband is hard of hearing, without his hearing aid he cannot hear at all....even with it he can only hear through his one ear...although not very well. We are in our late 20's with a small child. As our child gets older, and the fact that he works nights and I may not always be home...he is worried about not hearing things...like an intruder, the alarm, etc etc. He is also concerned about not being able to hear our son when his hearing aid is out...after all he cant wear it in the water...like the shower, or like I said when he is sleeping. In your opinion do you think he would benefit from a hearing dog...or should that be something we worry about more if he loses more of his hearing. (He is losing more each year). Thank you everyone...am on cruisecritic and I happened to stumble on this page and wanted to know some things!

Hi I just have a quick question for everyone...what is the process of getting a service dog like. My husband and I have been looking into it for a little bit, but we are a little hesitant...Just a quick bit of background...my husband is hard of hearing, without his hearing aid he cannot hear at all....even with it he can only hear through his one ear...although not very well. We are in our late 20's with a small child. As our child gets older, and the fact that he works nights and I may not always be home...he is worried about not hearing things...like an intruder, the alarm, etc etc. He is also concerned about not being able to hear our son when his hearing aid is out...after all he cant wear it in the water...like the shower, or like I said when he is sleeping. In your opinion do you think he would benefit from a hearing dog...or should that be something we worry about more if he loses more of his hearing. (He is losing more each year). Thank you everyone...am on cruisecritic and I happened to stumble on this page and wanted to know some things!

For EVERY reason that you mentioned above you would really benefit from a Hearing Dog. The dog would alert you when the baby is crying or someone's at the door or when an alarm is going off and so much more.

I don't know what city you live in but Canine Companions for Independence is all over the United States.

Their phone number is: 1-800-572-BARK or cci.org or info@cci.org.

Call them, request an application and maybe if you're lucky like me, you can live the most enriched and rewarding lifestyle with one of their amazing hero's!

My CCI dog has brought freedom, poise, safety, warmth and friendship, [just to mention a few things], into mine and my husband's life. I highly recommend looking into their Hearing Dog Program, I promise you'll never regret it!!!!!

The process is not "short & sweet", it takes energy and time.

You'll need to fill out an application, have a phone interview, have a hearing test, and an in-person interview and then you go on the wait-list. Then, if you pass all the aforementioned, you'll be invited to Team Training - Two weeks filled with the most intense working days you'll ever spend in your life. It's physically and emotionally exhausting. But, at the end of it you will graduate with your Working Dog and partner. So, so worth every tearful moment.

There are other organizations that can help and if CCI doesn't feel your a good fit for their program they'll give you the names of other orgs. you may go to.

Good luck and, DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Everything Roz said and more. Even if your not 100% sure this is right, send in the application NOW!! It is a long process. They make it difficult to weed out the people that want a well trained pet. So go to CCI.org and start the process. You can always postpone or stop at any time.

I don't think we really addressed what a Hearing Dog does:

• The dog alerts you to sounds in your environment. Such as, fire alarms, people walking-up behind you, someone calling your name. Someone knocking on the door, or a phone ringing, an alarm clock going off. Or, your dog can be trained to be your alarm clock by pulling the covers off of you to wake you up. If you've dropped your keys/mail/newspaper, etc. Your dog will alert you that you've dropped something and, will even pick it up for you [this takes a little extra training] but, it's very easy to train.

To watch a dog go over to it's handler when somone has called her/his name and see the dog persistently poke the person on the leg and when the handler says "what? with the ASL sign", the dog will immediately lie down, meaning someone has called your name and, the dog will look in the direction of the person who's calling, it's an absolute miracle to see!!!!!!!

• If you drive; your dog can be trained to alert you to sirens on the street, and on command show you where the sound is coming from [by just staring] until you give the "release" command, another miracle!!

These are just some of what the "Hearing Dog" can do. This dog is such a worker. If he's really good at his job, he can make his handler feel so safe and never fear their environment again.

Go for it, you will not regret it.

• 1 month later...

Archived