Cape Liberty Questions

wannaBgoof

Hello,

I'm sure this was asked once before but couldn't find a thread.

First question- I live about 25 miles from the port and will be boarding Explorer OTS in October '11 for my honeymoon. My mother will be dropping me and the FW off at the port and was wondering if she will be able to see us cast off or will she be told to leave the port after drop off.

Other question- I am planning on going down to the port this weekend to see the ship in port before it's departure. How close do you think I could get on land to see the ship, just for taking pictures.

Thanks,

AC

The day you sail is the first day of your cruise and you have paid for that day. We recommend arriving at the port between 10:30 and 11 am. Boarding is usually between 11:30 and 12:30. That gives you plenty of time to have lunch in the Windjammer, explore the ship, check your dining table and make special reservations, participate in the raffle on the promenade, etc. etc. Cabins are ready at 1:30 pm. The ship won't sail until 4 or 5 - your mom certainly can wait around by the 911 memorial to see it sail, but it will be a long wait. You MUST check in at least 90 minutes before the sail time due to TSA regulations - they are very strict about this and don't make exceptions if you are late. Since you live so close to the port, there is really no reason to cut it close. You won't regret being among the first to board.

If you go down this weekend, you can park at the 911 memorial and get tons of pictures. Since the terminal is not right next to the ship, you can get an unobstructed view of the ship.

It's not like catching a train or a plane. The day is a whole process - they have to disembark 3000+ people & luggage and then board the same amount of people and luggage. The ship has to be reprovisioned and refueled. It all takes time - I'm always amazed that they can do it. For a first time cruiser there's a lot to explore. Bring binoculars - you can see everything going on in the NY harbor.

It's not like catching a train or a plane. The day is a whole process - they have to disembark 3000+ people & luggage and then board the same amount of people and luggage. The ship has to be reprovisioned and refueled. It all takes time - I'm always amazed that they can do it. For a first time cruiser there's a lot to explore. Bring binoculars - you can see everything going on in the NY harbor.

Yea I have seen on tv how the process works. It amazes me as well. I am a fan of airplanes and ships so I was hoping I could get down to the port early enough this coming sunday to see the ship come into port. I am thinking around 6am.

Archived