Need help deciding on a cruise

cherbear4000

My parents treat the whole family to a cruise each summer and we can't decide! There will be a group of about 15 of us ranging in age to my 1 yr old nephew to my parents in their early 70s. We usually cruise Carnival. We enjoy the laid back atmosphere and great food and service, but we will cruise other lines based on itinerary. Here is what I have narrowed it down to. Opinions based on your experiences with the following ports/ships would be appreciated.

6 day Carnival Freedom from Fort Lauderdale to Key West, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman. We did sail the Freedom last year to the Panama Canal and had a blast. We have been to Grand Cayman, but not the other 2 ports.

7 day Carnival Valor or Liberty from Miami to Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk. I have never been on the Valor or Liberty. Also have never been to HMC or Grand Turk. We have been to St. Thomas and San Juan.

7 day Norwegian Gem from NYC spending 3 days in Bermuda. We have only cruised NCL once on the Star to Alaska. We didn't like NCL as much as Carnival, but it was 6 yrs ago so we would be willing to try NCL again. We have never been to Bermuda before. Not sure if it would be boring to be docked in the same place for 3 days.

Thanks in advance!

with a group of 15, excursions get pricey very quickly..I found that to be true with a family of 4, and tried to avoid them if possible.

Age ranges also limits mobility... you might be better off on a cruise that had more beach days that would allow you to rent a cabana or two and split it x number of ways and you all could share... In which case the Half moon Cay/Grand Turk itinerary may work out in your favor.. Grand Turk has a beautiful beach/pool area that is specifically for cruise passengers, and those with kids can do some snorkeling off to the right of the pier, and others can make their way left and past to Jacks Shack... you can choose to spend money eating in port, or eat on the ship, but that is basically all you would spend...

The girls had an absolute BLAST on Grand Turk, and would go back in a heartbeat. We would too..which is why we ARE in September...but without them!

My parents treat the whole family to a cruise each summer and we can't decide! There will be a group of about 15 of us ranging in age to my 1 yr old nephew to my parents in their early 70s. We usually cruise Carnival. We enjoy the laid back atmosphere and great food and service, but we will cruise other lines based on itinerary. Here is what I have narrowed it down to. Opinions based on your experiences with the following ports/ships would be appreciated.

6 day Carnival Freedom from Fort Lauderdale to Key West, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman. We did sail the Freedom last year to the Panama Canal and had a blast. We have been to Grand Cayman, but not the other 2 ports.

7 day Carnival Valor or Liberty from Miami to Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk. I have never been on the Valor or Liberty. Also have never been to HMC or Grand Turk. We have been to St. Thomas and San Juan.

7 day Norwegian Gem from NYC spending 3 days in Bermuda. We have only cruised NCL once on the Star to Alaska. We didn't like NCL as much as Carnival, but it was 6 yrs ago so we would be willing to try NCL again. We have never been to Bermuda before. Not sure if it would be boring to be docked in the same place for 3 days.

Thanks in advance!

I am happy to say that I have sailed on both the Valor and the Liberty...love both ships! I am looking to book a group cruise on the Liberty for the exact itinerary you mention, so maybe I'm a little partial :) I don't think you can go wrong with the ship or itinerary.

I am not really concerned about cost since my parents are paying, including the excursions. We will split up at shore if necessary. Sometimes some of us will want to do something more active like ziplining while those with young kids and my parents do something less active.

Without a doubt, Carnival Liberty to the Eastern Caribbean. It's the most beautiful ship in the Carnival fleet (not as loud or gaudy as other ships in the fleet), great ports of call, and for us, one of the most memorable cruises we've ever taken!

I would pick the HMC/Grand Turk option. We plan on doing that one at some point in the future on the Liberty. We liked the Valor, but we've heard so many good things about the Liberty, we want to try it. Plus, the Liberty is the last ship with the floor-to-ceiling windows up on spa deck (hopefully they won't convert those to balconies like they did on the others). HMC & Grand Turk get great reviews. For me, that option definitely stands out.

Archived