My Hawaii Cruise Adventure

scrappydoo

Thank you for taking your time with your lovely review! Because you did, I just found it today and was able to read from the beginning to the (almost) finish! :D

You've certainly added to the building excitment as we prepare for our first trip to Hawaii (in 22 days!).

Thank you for your ahola spirit Scrappydoo. I can tell that you are a kind & gentle person by the way you write. Is Blue Hawaiian any better or different than Safari Helicopter rides?

Greg

Mahalo, Greg, for your kind words. Sorry for the late response! I believe all the reputable helicopter companies have the same route for Kauai, so you won't be missing anything regardless of which company you decide to go with. I saw the Blue Hawaiian helicopters flying and must admit their helicopters look quite nice (shiny and blue!). I can't imagine them being uncomfortable in anyway... with that being said, I had no complaints with my flight and comfort with Safari Helicopters. (but as you could tell from the picture, not shiny and blue! ;)) Both of these companies have DVDs for your individual flights available, however, I think Safari's overall price of the flight was a little cheaper. I was comfortable with Safari's excellent safety record and had no problems booking with them. Hope this helps! :)

Once again you've done an outgoing job scrappydoo. I'm glad you were able to go to Hanalei, that is one of the towns I want to visit while we're in Hawaii next month.

I love the man on the Napali Coast, I noticed the face before I read your comments below it.

Thanks, Sue! I do hope you get to see Hanalei... it's classic Hawaii small town, and I adored it. Hope you find the man on Napali Coast on your sail by! (Kind of like a game of Where's Waldo) and post it up on your review when you get back! :D I'd love that! Haha.

Thank you for such a great review and pictures. It sounds as though you had a wonderful vacation. I was sorry when your review ended and I knew that "our tour" was finished icon9.gif. Aloha

Thank you for taking your time with your lovely review! Because you did, I just found it today and was able to read from the beginning to the (almost) finish! :D

You've certainly added to the building excitment as we prepare for our first trip to Hawaii (in 22 days!).

Mahalo, Ninja50 and Cubechick! I am so glad that you enjoyed my little journey. Please enjoy the Islands, and the spirit of the people...it's why I keep going back. Aloha!

Day Nine: Disembarkation Day

Saturday, 12/4- We originally had a reservation for a 9am guided tour at Iolani Palace this morning, but something about it being our last day on vacation, we just wanted to relax a little bit more and not have to "get somewhere" by a certain time. So I decided to cancel our reservation the day before, and if we were up to going to the Palace after all, then we'd just take a self-guided tour on our own time. Well, as it turns out, we decided to have a relaxed and leisurely breakfast in the Dining Room instead of the buffet. This was our first breakfast in the Dining Room, and I think it was quite mellow and pretty empty since it was the last day.

After breakfast, we just gathered our carry-on luggage and headed out the door. We were off the ship by 8:45am or so, and walked through the pier to the luggage storage area. Just ask any of the crew to point you in the right direction. We paid $5 per bag, and arranged for a pick-up time. You might want to note though, that they were closed for a window of time maybe around 10-11am?? We knew this because we asked for a pick up time during this window...

So we had a couple hours to kill before heading out to the airport. We walked over to the Aloha Tower Marketplace and walked around a bit. Most stores were closed, but a handful were open. My friend was looking for a dashboard hula girl/guy, so we went on a search for one. Unfortunately, though we did see quite a few available, none were what she was looking for.

We decided to go back to Chinatown to search more souvenir shops for a dashboard hula girl/guy, and secretly, I wanted to grab a few manapuas as my lunch/dinner before and during the flight. This time, we were not in such a rush and could enjoy our stroll to Chinatown. We stopped off at Royal Kitchen which is on River St/Beretania St. facing the stream. I insisted on buying my friend her first manapua (baked bun, with different fillings) or two, which wasn't a problem since they are only $1.10 each. Delish! Fresh out of the oven...mm, I love the bread that they use! So I bought two for myself to tie me over as a small lunch/"dinner" snack item (balanced with some fruit I decided to get at the airport). I think I got the Cha Siu and the Kalua Pork fillings. I would love to go back and try the other fillings next time. They do have other Chinese fare and dim sum available, but I've only had their manapua. Which may be on the small side...but I think good things come in small packages! :)

2286273090106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Outside of Royal Kitchen (on Food Tour in Sept)

2273632290106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Manapua

We then got a call from Mark's friend who was supposed to pick us up at the pier and drop us off at the airport. Apparently, his client had forgotten their passport or something and they had to go back to get it, so he was not going to be able to meet us in time. So I told him no problem, we'll just grab a cab at the pier. So we took a leisurely walk back to the pier and picked up our luggage around 11:05am (for a 1:50pm flight). There were a couple of cabs waiting so we hopped into the first available and off we were to the airport! We got there in plenty of time and the security was a breeze. If you do have time before a flight and rather buy dinner to bring on the plane, I would suggest Lahaina Chicken Co. at the HNL airport. I believe I got a big ole dinner with like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and vegetables for just over $10. Sure, you'll have to pig out in front of everyone giving you the stink eye while they eat their airplane food, but you know.... haha.

The flight home was uneventful, and thus ended our Hawaii Cruise Adventure....

Well, everyone, after starting this review over 2months ago, I'm finally done! Thanks for hanging in there, and letting me relive my vacation with you. It's been fun.

I forgot to mention to those who wanted to take the Hanalei tour with gorabbitgo, that we were in a smaller shuttle bus since the roads tend to be narrower and smaller, and it was quite comfortable.

On a random side note, my friend and I saw this 8x11 poster of the Pride of America route and ship facts in the Photo Gallery, during an off hour when the desk was not manned. It cost like an insane amount for what it was, like $13-15 dollars at least. We thought it would be funny to try to take a picture of it, and no sooner than we did, a photo crew member came rushing towards us and said, "Ladies, can I help you??" I guess they have cameras-a-watching our every move. Haha! Alas, it was all in fun...but later, I found a Pride of America postcard at one of the gift shops that showed the route on the back of the postcard for only a buck or two.

Other than that, if you have any questions, let me know. I will try to help out, though my memory is not the sharpest these days.

I'm going to leave you now with a few random pics now. Alooooooooo-Ha!

2959153670106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Christmas decorations on the POA

2142479760106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Why did the chicken/rooster cross the road?

2256706610106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

A Stolen picture (we meant no harm, really!)

2497435420106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

There is only one ping pong table on the POA, as far as we saw...

2582095490106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

The Kuhio mound Hula Show (Sept) runs several times a week

2542563360106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Mahalo, and Aloha, everyone! Until next time....

Thanks, Sue! I do hope you get to see Hanalei... it's classic Hawaii small town, and I adored it. Hope you find the man on Napali Coast on your sail by! (Kind of like a game of Where's Waldo) and post it up on your review when you get back! :D I'd love that! Haha.

I always like a challenge scrappydoo, lol. I'm going to find the man on the coast and I'll post a picture when I return. :p

Mahalo for your great review scrappydoo, it gave me something to look forward to.

Now I am counting down my days for my own POA cruise and I hope to write up a review as good as yours and everyone else's too. :)

Day Four - 2nd day in Maui, Rest Day

Monday, 11/29 -

2721959230106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

view from breakfast outside Aloha Cafe

After a while, I finally decided to go back inside and freshen up a bit. I had another leisurely meal at the buffet and waited for my friend to return from her tour. She returned about 1pm and grabbed some lunch at the buffet. We didn't want to rush out and take any of the public buses to Lahaina, so we decided to just take a stroll to the Maui Mall.

So we head back out to the Maui Mall, an outdoor mall, which was about 10-15min walk, and check out the local Longs Drugs and Whole foods. The Whole Foods is pretty much exactly like what you'd find at home. The Longs Drugstore did have more local flavor and snacks/food available. I always rather buy the Kona coffee and snacks at Longs because they tend to be cheaper than ABC stores and seem to have more variety than Walmart. I ended up buying a bag of Li Hing Dried Mango (I've always been a fan of dried mango, but got introduced to Li Hing dried mango about six years ago in Maui)...the first time I had it, it was so good. Ever since then, I've tried to find it on all the other islands and just haven't been able to reproduce the same freshness I had the first time around. You have to make sure the dried mango are nice and plump and fresh- a good mix of sweet and sour. I am happy to report, that the ones I found here in Longs in the Maui Mall were by far the closest to taste/freshness as the first ones I had six years ago. :)

Other than the bag of dried Li Hing mango, I decided to buy a nice bucket of Island Princess Mele Macs for my co-workers. If you've never had a Mele Mac, they are toffee covered macadamia nuts, dipped in milk chocolate and lightly coated in powdered sugar. Can we say sugar high?? After my food purchases, we strolled the mall and saw kids playing in a little water squirting fountain in the middle of the mall. There is also a movie theater in the mall, but of course we didn't catch a flick. We stumbled upon this little tiny Japanese "ice cream" store that sold something called Guri Guri. Others have described it as a hybrid between sorbet and ice cream. They have Strawberry and Pineapple flavors and two scoops (I got one of each flavor) is only $1.10! It was a refreshing treat to share... If you want to check it out, the store name is Tasaka Guri Guri.

The "Maui Mall" that you refer to, is it in the port of Kahului? From the pic you have in the Aloha Cafe, it appears that the coast is not close. So, I guess you don't dock at a pier in Kahului Maui:confused:

Greg

I always like a challenge scrappydoo, lol. I'm going to find the man on the coast and I'll post a picture when I return. :p

Mahalo for your great review scrappydoo, it gave me something to look forward to.

Now I am counting down my days for my own POA cruise and I hope to write up a review as good as yours and everyone else's too. :)

I love it, Sue! :D I can't wait to see your man on Napali pic and read your review when you get back!

The "Maui Mall" that you refer to, is it in the port of Kahului? From the pic you have in the Aloha Cafe, it appears that the coast is not close. So, I guess you don't dock at a pier in Kahului Maui:confused:

Greg

Hi Greg,

The Maui Mall is, indeed, in Kahului -- the port where POA docks on Maui. You just have to walk through pier-like areas, and follow a walking pathway out to the street where the mall is. I'm guesstimating it was no more than a 10-15min walk. Don't worry, we just asked the security people to point us to the way!

Hi Scrappy, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip and thanks for a great review. It brought back very fond memories our trip last year. And I agree that Kauai was also our favorite island.

Thank you, cruisinskier! Your review was one of a few that made such a definite impression on me. I enjoyed it so much and all the pics you shared...It helped me to plan my trip, got me super excited for my trip, and inspired me to write a review of my own....so mahalo for that. :) (and that goes to all of you who've shared your experiences with others here)

I guess we all relive the wonder of Hawaii with each review that is shared here on this site, huh? The spirit of Aloha keeps on...

Thank you, cruisinskier! Your review was one of a few that made such a definite impression on me. I enjoyed it so much and all the pics you shared...It helped me to plan my trip, got me super excited for my trip, and inspired me to write a review of my own....so mahalo for that. :) (and that goes to all of you who've shared your experiences with others here)

I guess we all relive the wonder of Hawaii with each review that is shared here on this site, huh? The spirit of Aloha keeps on...

Scrappy, glad I was able to be a small part of your planning process and provide some info that helped you with your trip....and a year later I still enjoy flipping through our Hawaii pictures.

And yes I agree CC is a great community for sharing info.....with that in mind, I have to say we are getting very excited about our first Med cruise starting May 1 on the inaugural cruise of the Carnival Magic. Watch for my review mid May on the Carnival boards....

And yes I agree CC is a great community for sharing info.....with that in mind, I have to say we are getting very excited about our first Med cruise starting May 1 on the inaugural cruise of the Carnival Magic. Watch for my review mid May on the Carnival boards....

How exciting! I will definitely live vicariously through you and hope to one day go on a Med cruise, too. I'll be on the look out for your review in May! :D

Scrappydoo,

We are cruising with 4 other couples. My wife and I have been to all the Islands except Kauai.

I can't decide what tour to take on this Island. I know that you took the Roberts Hanalei tour. We plan on a helicopter ride the 2nd day. Does this tour give you a pretty good sampling of the Island? There are some tours that strictly go to the Waimea Canyon. I think the helicopter flys over this doesn't it? I can't see spending the whole day just to see a Canyon.

On Maui I'm going to recommend the Mahalo Tour of the Road to Maui. You really enjoyed this didn't you? You get to stop at a number of nice places right? When my wife and I were on Maui, we had a rental car. We only went a short distance because my wife thought the road was too dangerous since we weren't familiar with it.

Thanks again,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes, we did enjoy our Road to Hana tour with Mahalo Tours & Trans. Try to request a Hawaiian guide, I think that would have made our tour even better! The only other concern is that they limit their passengers (I forget if it's 8 or 10ppl per vehicle), so I would confirm with them if they can accommodate all of your party.

The Kauai helicopter tour gives you a wonderful overview of the island, as the majority of the island is really only accessible by air or boat. You do fly over Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast. So if you are short on time and rather not hit Waimea Canyon by car too, you will view it from the air. That said, I do remember the first time I saw the Canyon...it was a long drive to get there, but I literally gasped when we got to the lookout point. It took my breath away! However, we did have prime viewing conditions and lots more time to explore other areas of the island. In your case, you just have to prioritize what you want to see the most with the limited time that you have.

These two tours combined hit the major Kauai hot spots, in my opinion. The way I see it, the helicopter tour gives you such a great view of the island. You just need to figure out which parts you'd rather see up close.We enjoyed the Hanalei tour! You get to see more of Kauai, the Wailua River and the North/East portion of the island, which I think is a beautiful part of island.

What other tour are you considering for Kauai (besides the Waimea Canyon)?

We TOTALLY saw the face of the man on the Napali Coast. DH took a special picture of that very part!!!

Thanks for your review - you finished it just as we were on our own trip.... Great pictures!

Thanks, FloatYourBoat! I just saw that you posted your review! I'm looking forward to reading it and hope to see your pic of the Man on Napali Coast, too! :D We can start a trend here... Haha!

Great review! Thank you. Leaving Wednesday...cruiseing on April 2nd. Can't wait! One quick question...are there hair dryers on board Pride of America?

Hi 3girls,

You are going to have a great time! Yes, there are hair dryers in each cabin on POA, so no worries.

Enjoy!! :)

Hi Greg,

Yes, we did enjoy our Road to Hana tour with Mahalo Tours & Trans. Try to request a Hawaiian guide, I think that would have made our tour even better! The only other concern is that they limit their passengers (I forget if it's 8 or 10ppl per vehicle), so I would confirm with them if they can accommodate all of your party.

The Kauai helicopter tour gives you a wonderful overview of the island, as the majority of the island is really only accessible by air or boat. You do fly over Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast. So if you are short on time and rather not hit Waimea Canyon by car too, you will view it from the air. That said, I do remember the first time I saw the Canyon...it was a long drive to get there, but I literally gasped when we got to the lookout point. It took my breath away! However, we did have prime viewing conditions and lots more time to explore other areas of the island. In your case, you just have to prioritize what you want to see the most with the limited time that you have.

These two tours combined hit the major Kauai hot spots, in my opinion. The way I see it, the helicopter tour gives you such a great view of the island. You just need to figure out which parts you'd rather see up close.We enjoyed the Hanalei tour! You get to see more of Kauai, the Wailua River and the North/East portion of the island, which I think is a beautiful part of island.

What other tour are you considering for Kauai (besides the Waimea Canyon)?

These are the only two tours I was considering. Not sure what the entire group is interested in doing yet. I have been doing some research so I am familiar with the do's and don'ts! I'd hate to spend $100 on a tour that was lousy.

We might do a Luau, so we'd have to decide between Robert's Tours Smith Family Luau or the excursion NCL offers. Anyone have any feedback on either of these two Luaus:D

The Hanalei Tour was definitely worth it at $35...

The $100 was just a figure of speech. I'm surprised how much more the tours are when you book them thru NCL:eek:.

Thanks scrappydoo for a wonderfully informative trip review and your helpful answers to questions!

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone! It's been a while, but I thought of all of you upon returning from a short trip to Oahu last week...I know I shared some things to eat/places to go/things to see on Oahu in my cruise review from Nov'10, but felt I should share some of the things I enjoyed on my latest trip there...a little bit of an update if you will. :)

1) Still gotta toot Henry's Place for some fresh cut up papaya... they have pineapple, mango, and other fruits as well. Again, along with their homemade ice cream or sorbet.

2) HI Steaks inside the Foodland grocery store on Kuhio Street in Waikiki. They also serve steak plates (less than $10), with different types of sauces. Not as cheap as the Steak Shack on the beach, but their potato salad is tasty! Another added bonus is they have a good selection of flavors of Bubbies Mochi ice cream available there, too!! Still love the Strawberry Dark Chocolate on the best. But the Chocolate Coconut was good, too. Lychee is always a winner.

3) Kualoa Ranch - I did the Full Day Adventure package and had transportation/lunch included...I did the Secret Island (counts as 2 activities) where you take a little boat ride through their ancient fishpond to this private beach. There, they have snorkel gear, beach mats, kayaks, paddle boards, a ping pong table, picnic tables, volleyball court, and my fave --- hammocks!!! I LOOOOOOVVVVED swinging on the hammock for nearly two hours, reading a good book by the ocean. Esp with just a handful of people, what a contrast to Waikiki Beach! It was one of my favorite parts of my trip -- so relaxing! I also did an hour of horseback riding, and a ranch/movie tour (good for movie buffs, or LOST fans)...but I've done their ATV ride before and that was very fun. A beautiful area of the island...

4) Pearl Harbor - I've been a couple of times before, but I wanted to see their new renovation of the visitor center that was completed last year. I was on a tour, so unfortunately, time was really short and brief. In hindsight, I wish I had forgone the short movie/boat to the memorial (since I've been before) and stayed longer at the museums and most importantly meeting the two survivors that were there for just a short time that morning signing books and what not. The guide had said that there were about 22 survivors left last year and this year, there are only about 14 left! Unfortunately, they were scheduled to leave while I was probably on the boat to the memorial.

5) Mana Bu's - okay, this was my "find" for the visit. This is a small musubi place that opens up really early and makes all their musubi fresh. I loved the Mentaiko Tuna/Mayo musubi which is surprising because I REALLY don't like tuna and pretty much haven't had tuna in 15yrs. But the star really is their dessert mochi - FRESH STRAWBERRY MOCHI -- so DIVINE!!! Now, I get some people haven't even had mochi before, or aren't into azuki bean... so I get it's not for everyone. But for those of you who enjoy mochi and aren't turned off by azuki bean...this is SO DELICIOUS. It's one fresh, ripe, sweet strawberry in the center, covered by homemade azuki bean paste, wrapped in mochi. no other word, but DIVINE. I woke up early just to catch a bus from waikiki (10min ride) to get to this store, so that I could get another mochi the next day. The mochi comes out at 8am and by 8:20-8:30 are almost all gone. The first day I went there, I arrived at 8:20-ish because I missed my bus and I also missed my stop, and I snatched the LAST mochi. The next day, I arrive just after 8am, and there were at least 6 mochi left. I am dreaming about it now and cant wait til I go back to get some more. Unfortunately, you can't bring any fresh fruit through security, otherwise I'd have bought a bunch to bring home. But you CAN bring the musubi onboard the plane and they make a very portable and easy snack! Of course, I kept them in the fridge and then a cooler bag on my way to the airport.

6) Dolphins and You - I did a sunset Captains dinner cruise that brought us from Waikiki all the way to the West side of Oahu. I purchased a discount through Groupon, and basically did it because I have never sailed out this side of Oahu. Thankfully, we had such a calm day and the water was just so calm, which was good cuz I forgot to bring my Bonine. There was time to snorkel, and then they had dinner for us. Now, I don't know that I would have paid full price for this, mainly because it took about an hour and a half alone to get to the dock from Waikiki. And it seemed a little bit short for the cost. However, I WOULD be interested in doing their morning dolphin excursion tour that brings you out to see the dolphins...I just saw some videos on it and it looks cool.

7) Marukume Udon - right on Kuhio Street in center of Waikiki. This place makes their own udon noodles fresh daily. You order the size bowl, which udon you want (with an egg, beef, etc etc) and then you pick out whatever extras like musubi or tempura or potato cakes that you want to add-on. Then you pay and grab a seat. I ordered a small bowl with some light beef and got a croquette and a sweet potato tempura thingie, and it only cost me $8.50!! I had enough to run back to Foodland, to get a Bubbie's mochi ice cream for dessert at HI Steaks...a whole meal for $10! I love it.

8) "Sunset on the beach" -- Unfortunately, the dinner cruise was on a Thursday night only and this was the same night that Waikiki was having movie on the beach. I have never been able to schedule this in, but on certain nights through out the year, they put up a movie screen out of Kuhio beach side (towards Kapiolani park) and have food vendors and everything. So you can watch a movie in the evening on the beach! I think around the time I was there, they were going to also do a preview of the new season of Hawaii 5-0 out on the beach. Just a cool idea.

I think that's it for now...I'll try to post some pics next time. Aloha!

scrappydoo

Archived