My Hawaii Cruise Adventure

scrappydoo

Hi all, the last two months have been a blur, but I thought I better at least get started on a review of my trip I took for our cruise 11/27-12/4 of last year. So I hope you enjoy it, as I've enjoyed reading so many of the reviews others have posted here. No guarantee how long it will take me though, as it's taken me this long just for this first entry! :D I've still not recovered from it all.

Be warned, it will probably be excruciatingly long...heehee.

Here goes! DAY ONE:

Background: Two single gal pals, mid-thirties. I've been to Hawaii 10+ times, but first time via cruise. My third cruise (one on RCL, one on Princess, first on NCL). My friend's first time to Hawaii and first time to cruise.

We flew out of San Francisco to Honolulu the Friday morning before our cruise's Saturday departure. I highly recommend arriving at least a day ahead to adjust to the weather and the time. I remember the first couple of times I arrived in Honolulu in the summer time, and the heat always gave me a headache and I was always extremely tired the first day of arrival.

11/26- Friday- We arrived into Honolulu about 12:15pm and I had booked a lei greeting for my friend since it was her first time to Hawaii. I think everybody should be greeted with a little Aloha, esp on their first visit! :) The cheapest price I found online was through VIP Trans, which was $12 for a beautiful orchid lei (much like the one we would be making on the POA the following week!) My friend was surprised to see her name on a sign as we came down the escalators into the baggage claim, and she absolutely loved her lei/greeting. It was ironic that I didn't even use VIP trans for our shuttle ride to the hotel, but I didn't want to wait for anyone else or stop at each hotel along the way. So I had booked transportation with hawaii23.com for our own personal pick up. I gave Mark a call and he confirmed where to meet. By the time my friend and I walked up to the walkway outside, Mark had arrived and we were ready to hit the road! The cost for airport to Honolulu hotel was $23 total for 1-3ppl. Mark talked college football with my friend the whole way to our hotel! He was very pleasant, and it was a great way to start our trip. We had also booked him for our hotel to cruise pier shuttle the following day, so we bid him farewell until then. When we got off, it was like we were just friends and it was as if he almost forgot we needed to pay him for the ride! We stayed at Best Western Coconut Waikiki for one night (which goes under the Aqua Hotels brand). I booked online through Aqua Hotels and got a special price for booking on a Wed/Thurs deal online for $99 a night for a City View. I love this little hotel because it's low key, and has everything you could want. It's not fancy and may be a little worn on the edges, but it's clean and comfortable. I had actually stayed here for 4nts in September in a Mountain View and it was such a relaxing time. They provide daily breakfast that includes juices, kona coffee, tea, perfect sized waffles with coconut syrup, fruit (it was pineapple both times I was there), hard boiled eggs, pastries, a few cereals... I seriously find it a great bargain! It's on the quiet side towards Ala Wai Canal, but just one block away from Kuhio Street where all the buses run, plenty of restuarants and ABC stores, two blocks away from Kalakaua

Ave (the main drag of Waikiki, and my least favorite street - too many high end stores!), and three blocks away from Waikiki Beach. They have a bowl of apples at the front desk at all hours for guests, as well as water, lemonade and lemon tea available at all hours. There are 4 computers in the lobby to use for free, with free printing (there may be a maximum though, but perfect for printing out boarding passes!) and they give a complimentary small bottle of water to each guest in the room refrigerator! I love that they provide a small refrigerator and a microwave/utensils in each room. Seriously, what else do I need?? And nothing beats breakfast on the balcony! That will be my go to hotel from now on, especially if they run these deals online.

So we got situated, changed and spread our wings a little bit. It turned out, the room we got was actually upgraded! It had the same views as my Mountain View did in September! We had views of the canal and the mountains! How awesome! Oh, one thing I realized about 20min before landing in Hawaii was that I had left my camera battery and a spare battery BOTH charging and plugged at my house!!! So here I had my camera and NO batteries and NO charger! Luckily I brought an old camera as back up, but I had my heart set on using my new Panasonic Lumix ZS6 camera esp with it's zoom capabilities. I was soooooo mad at myself, and this is the sort of thing that can drive me batty. I had waited to the last minute to pack and of course, the night before was Thanksgiving. Suffice it to say, I did not sleep until the wee hours of the morning, and I ended up having less than 4hours of sleep that night!! (I'm an 8 hour a night kind of girl) So I totally spaced out and forgot those batteries/chargers on my outlets!! ARGH! I was trying really hard not to make it a big deal, but it was definitely on my mind to try and find a battery/charger in Honolulu before we boarded the POA. More on that later... so we decided to explore a little bit of Waikiki since my friend had never been. I gave her a little bit of the bearings, introduced her to the good ole ABC stores (I love going into every one!) and we started off by finding some breakfast for our next morning. Although the hotel provides breakfast, we both had early morning tours that would depart before their breakfast service began the next morning. Yes, I was a little bummed that I wouldn't get to have a waffle this time around! :) So we ended up buying breakfast for the next day from Starbucks- I like their Protein Snack pack with a hardboiled egg, some grapes, two slices of apple, two slices of cheese, a pack of honey peanut butter, and a whole grain sconey/bread thing. One thing I insist in a Hawaii breakfast is papaya! I need my papaya fix! So we went to Henry's Place, a little tiny mom/pop place to buy some freshly cut papaya. Then we dropped them back to our room's little fridge and off we went to find some lunch! We decided to go to Steak Shack which is right on Waikiki Beach, near the Outrigger Reef side. It's a little takeout place next to several food stands/shave ice stands. We both got a steak plate for $6, that comes with 6oz of sliced steak, rice and salad. Add their special Teriyaki Sauce, it's delicious! There are small tables set up on this little walkway overlooking the beach. It was the perfect introduction to Waikiki!! After we gobbled up lunch, we walked a bit on the beach and got the sand in our feet. Took a few pictures of Diamond Head and just took it all in for a little bit. Ahhh... I was beginning to breath deeply again and all the stress melted away. The winds were quite strong this first day in Waikiki, but it made the sometimes intense sun a little more bearable for my friend who is fair-skinned and easily freckles. She always wears a hat though. After our beach stop, we made our way to the International Marketplace. It can be fun to browse all the stands and buy souvenirs here, but my friend isn't much of a shopper so we finished that stop fairly quickly. As a note, the IMP does have a couple of free dance/music shows during the week at night, for anyone staying mid week in Waikiki. Next we headed over to the Moana Surfrider Hotel... my friend is an architect and loved the old plantation style of the hotel. It was all decked out in Christmas decorations and I love to go there and sit on one of the many rocking chairs either out front, or upstairs on the balcony. And again, just breath deeply as the trade winds blow. I want to be there right now! So we relaxed a bit rocking away and watching the world go by and just resting our tootsies. My friend wanted to see the Duke Statue so we headed off to Kuhio Beach just a bit from the Moana Surfrider. There is actually a webcam aimed at the statue, so if you want to say hi to your friends and family back home you can wave at the camera and have them go online to see you! It is so funny how you can go to Honolulu, or any part of Hawaii, and go to the same places yet the experience can be different each time. On my Sept visit to Duke Statue, he was completely covered with traditional leis. Not the tourist ones we are used to, that just fall down to the chest but traditionally leis were almost down to the knees in length. I will try to post a picture later. This time, there were only a few "tourist" leis and he was quite bare! After our stop at the Duke Statue, I wanted my friend to try a real Spam Musubi. Not the kind you find at the ABC snack corner, but a freshly made, hot, delicious one! I found this place by the Waikiki Hyatt called Iyasume Musubi on my last visit. And I tried my first Spam Musubi, which is basically a mound of rice and a piece of spam cooked w/ teriyaki sauce, wrapped in seaweed. It was so basic, yet so delicious!! They use quality rice and you know it was freshly made. They made me into a Spam Musubi snob, I can't eat one at the supermarket or deli that is pre-made. So i was looking forward to another Spam Musubi experience this time. Unfortunately, they had JUST closed the kitchen when we walked in!! I was bummed, but what can you do? It was only about 4pm at that time, so you should go early. So next we headed to the Hyatt Waikiki where they have Aloha Fridays in their courtyard. There was free music and dance, and they had these little tables where people can make leis that go on their heads, some one was making tattoos (actually using Sharpies! but the drawings were cool) and there was a pineapple cutting demonstration. They gave out free pineapple tastings and my friend said it was the sweetest, tastiest pineapple she had ever tasted!! She was salivating. She got seconds and thirds....and maybe fourths! So at this point, we figured we should find an early dinner so that we could get a good night's sleep for our early morning the next day. My plan was to go to House Without a Key at the Halekulani to watch the sunset and relax with some music. So we walked back to the Halekulani (towards Outrigger Reef side of Waikiki Beach) and once we got there, we just could not, for the live of us, figure out where it was?? There were just these dead ends, and then there were these little signs everywhere that said Proper Resort Attire Enforced. So we were starting to feel out of place, like we needed to be dressed up or something and almost like we were unwelcome guests at the hotel property. I was in capris and sandals and tee...so finally, I decided to trash that idea and we headed BACK to Moana Surfrider (Kuhio Beach side) and went to their Beach Bar out back of the hotel. It was perfect for our needs, casual and outdoors. It was a little confusing because we didn't know if we were supposed to be seated by a waiter or what? There was no official entrance. But it turns out you just sit anywhere there is an open table and eventually a waiter/waitress will find you and bring you a menu and drink order. I guess they each have their own area of tables that they are in charge of, but it's amazing how they keep track of everyone. So we ordered two dishes to share, I think it was some sort of ribs and a sandwich that came with maui chips. My friend had never had a "tropical drink" so she ordered a mai tai and I ordered a virgin Lava Flow. yum! It was the perfect end to the day. Two musicians started to play, and none of this "Tiny Bubbles" stuff, I mean real Hawaiian songs and words, which I love. And a beautiful hula dancer would accompany them for a few songs. The sun set, and it was sooo relaxing. Finally, we decided we should get going, and we were walking along Kalakaua Ave and I remembered that the Waikiki Holiday Parade was about to begin! It was the coolest thing...there were people lined along the street, but nothing so crowded that you expect from other packed parades. So it was so nice to be able to see a parade up close and personal...just a homey feeling. Like a small good gathering of people, but nothing crazy. So we kept walking towards our hotel, but watching the parade along the way. It was such an amazing feeling...the warm, comfortable night, school bands playing, people cheering, and the most touching part was when the Pearl Harbor survivors would go by. It caught me off guard how emotional I got as I clapped in honor of them, their bravery and history. It really was all just icing on the cake. How wonderful our day had been, and we hadn't even been in Hawaii 24hrs yet!!! We just kept looking at each other and couldn't believe our good fortune to be able to experience all that we had.

So off we headed to get ready for bed...the only thing to note was that, on TripAdvisor, people have noted how loud the AC units are at the Coconut Waikiki. I didn't have any problems on my Sept visit. However, this time, I just was soooo distracted, it sounded like a helicopter was in the room. And it's made worse when you know you have to wake up early the next morning! It was already late and I needed to wake up for my 6am tour departure. And I was running on my 4hrs of sleep the night before. Luckily, I had brought a trial pair of ear plugs for the cruise. These turned out to be a life saver! Ahhh... much better with the ear plugs and off I went to slumber land. zzzzzzz...I was out like a tons of bricks, those beds were so comfy!

I would love to post pictures, but I'm afraid I don't know how...I'll have to find some time to figure it out. It might not be until Friday, as I don't have computer access at work and I work late on Wed/Thurs. So hang in there! Mahalo!

Thanks for the review. I look forward to reading more.

I must comment though on the fact that you raved about the hotel but then in the last paragraph talk about how loud the ac unit was. This would have been a real downer for us as my husband has a hard enough time sleeping anywhere but his own bed and is especially neurotic about noises. And, he is not a happy person without his sleep! I'm afraid I would not be able to recommend a hotel based on a loud ac unit especially if it was a major complaint of previous guests as well.

Thanks for the review. I look forward to reading more.

I must comment though on the fact that you raved about the hotel but then in the last paragraph talk about how loud the ac unit was. This would have been a real downer for us as my husband has a hard enough time sleeping anywhere but his own bed and is especially neurotic about noises. And, he is not a happy person without his sleep! I'm afraid I would not be able to recommend a hotel based on a loud ac unit especially if it was a major complaint of previous guests as well.

Hi GypRasc, thanks!

Yes, I could understand how a loud AC could be a deal-breaker for some. It didn't really stop me from making a recommendation of the hotel because a) it was just for one night and who knows maybe if I stayed longer I would have adjusted to it? b) I found a simple, easy solution - ear plugs! c) it did not outweigh all the other positives in my opinion. I suppose there is a reason this hotel is #5 (of 94 hotels in Honolulu) with 95% approval ratings on Tripadvisor, despite the mentionings of a loud AC. The mention of it is to warn others who may find it a deal breaker. Honestly, I don't know why I noticed it so much that one night, when I didn't notice a thing for 4nts my previous stay OR anytime during the daytime for the many hours I was awake in the room this visit! Just like the Waikiki "city noise" doesn't bother me a bit, as I am used to it where I live. My friend didn't mind the AC at all and slept just fine, so I guess it's all relative?? ;)

Hope to post more in the next few days... thanks for reading!

Great start to your review! We have 8 days in Honolulu pre cruise and you have already given me several ideas for evenings out and places to have a relaxing afternoon! Thanks!

Thanks, Raison! I'm so glad I gave you a few ideas... I put a small list of things to do in Honolulu on my roll call way back, I'll see if I can't retrieve it for you. :)

This is off topic, but here is a list I compiled for my brother a year or two ago, also combined with a post on my roll call I made... can't say all the times/pricing are still valid. Hope this helps, Raison!

My Roll Call Posting starts here:

I just got back from a short trip to Oahu on Labor Day. I took a Food Tour there, and wanted to share some of the highlights (and other misc items from my past visits) in case any of you like food as much as I do. :D

1) Of course, you can't NOT try the famous malasadas at Leonard's Bakery. I prefer the original or cinnamon sugar, as I'm not a big fan of custard fillings. Luckily I tried them before and loved them, but this was the last stop on the tour and I was so stuffed, I didn't enjoy it as much as I should've!

2) Bubbies Ice Cream - Discovered these about two years ago. Fresh-made mochi ice cream, along with regular ice cream/cakes, etc. It's fun to buy a variety of flavors, esp if you have a freezer where you are staying. My favorite mochi ice cream flavor is Strawberry Dark Chocolate Chip! They have a few locations in Oahu.

3) Royal Kitchen - at the edge of Chinatown, I believe. this was many of the tour participants favorite stop. We tried their famous manapuas! (the hawaiian version of the chinese baked bbq pork bun) I thought, how much different can it be? I tried to mix it up by ordering kalua pig filling instead... well, it was delicious! yum. must be that wonderful Hawaiian sweet bread. They had several different fillings to choose from, the most popular being the char siu and kalua pork, but a few tried the coconut filling and enjoyed those as well.

4) Chinatown - In the Kekaulike Market, you can buy fresh papayas, rambutan, lychee, and longan. The last three exotic fruits were part of our tour, and although I have tried all of them before, these were by far the freshest and tastiest I've had!

5) Speaking of papayas, there is nothing better than enjoying fresh papaya for breakfast in Hawaii. I needed my fill because my hotel offered a simple free breakfast (which really was a great selection) but they didn't have papaya. So I went to Henry's Place on Beachwalk Street, a tiny hole in the wall, across the street from the back of a big hotel. It's next to a tiny moped rental place. Go here for fresh cut-up fruit, ready to go. I got a nice sized little bowl full of papaya for $4 - fresh and delicious! I didn't have to peel or de-seed or anything. It lasted me for three breakfasts! Go early, cuz the papaya goes fast. But they also have pineapple, mango, etc. They're also known for their homemade sorbets and ice creams, but I didn't try any.

6) Okay, back to Chinatown. If you go to the Food Court in Maunakea Marketplace, there's a little kiosk called Rainbow Tea Stop Bakery. The most decadent little coconut tarts!! If you get them fresh, they are delish...

7) Liliha Bakery - I've been hearing about their famous Coco Puffs for years, and I finally got to try them. Yes, they are good. But I guess I'm just not THAT into those cream puffs. But everyone loved them on the tour.

(Also, a note to LOST fans, the tour guide says that this was where they filmed Kate's mom's diner)

8) I gotta recommend Matsumoto's for shave ice, of course. But I never got close to the North Shore this visit, so I went to this little place called Shimazu Store, where they have shave ice and popcorn. Haha. It was delish...

9) Helena's Hawaiian Food- I walked off my shave ice, and strolled for about 3/4mile to this place. I think the top two Hawaiian food places are Helena's and Ono Hawaiian...I got menu B which included Pipikaula short ribs (the star) and kalua pork... to go! There was a major crowd outside, and I think they tend to close early sometimes, also close on Mondays. If you do go to Ono Hawaiian instead, I think their lau lau pork is supposed to be the star over there.

10) Other misc stuff - I took a Catamaran ride with Outrigger which left from the Outrigger Reef beachside. You can get a $10 coupon from a small book you'll find at the kiosks around Waikiki or even right inside the Outrigger Reef itself. If you do go, you WILL get soaked sitting on the nets at times. Just a warning! ;)

Also, there are several botanical gardens around Honolulu, that are actually quite nice to walk around. Very peaceful in the midst of a city. I went to Foster's Botanical Garden I believe, and it was very cool.

If you tend to go to places like Waimea Valley, or Byodo-In Temple and bugs love you, then I'd be ready with the bug repellant/wipes ahead of time. The first time I went to Waimea Valley/Falls, I was eaten up alive and had huge welts.... itchy itchy itchy! Areas of lush green, I am always eaten alive the second I leave the van or car.

Last but not least, if you are in Waikiki for a few days, there are so many free classes (hula, lei making, etc) or free shows to go to. I went to a lei making class on Waikiki Beachwalk on Lewers St, missed the lomi lomi demonstration at the Royal Hawaiian Center, and caught a few shows at the International Marketplace and at Kuhio Beach mound (at sunset, several times a week)

My List for my brother starts here:

There is a TON of things to do in Waikiki/Honolulu/Oahu

In the Waikiki vicinity itself:

1) Waikiki - beach, of course. There's the Waikiki Historical trail you can walk for free

and you can check out the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (Pink) or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider's banyan tree inside, or BeachWalk stores, Kapiolani Park usu has art fairs, International Marketplace for shopping, etc. There are many free hula shows and free classes available (check the Royal Hawaiian Center, Beach Walk, International Marketplace, etc). You can take a catamaran ride from Waikiki Beach as well. Tons of good food around...

2) Waikiki Historic Trail - do your own walking tour

3) Honolulu Zoo

4) Honolulu Aquarium

5) Diamond Head Monument Park - hike

Honolulu/outskirts:

1) Manoa Falls - hike

2) Chinatown - buy fresh fruits and produce, fresh leis

3) Iolani Palace - they have the Royal Hawaiian band performing every Fri afternoon

4) Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona, Mighty Mo, etc

5) Aloha Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium - 6a-3pm Sat/Sun/Wed

6) Bishop Museum

7) Oahu has many botanical gardens that are surprisingly neat to walk around. I think I went to the Foster Garden that was $5 adult, $1 child, free guided tour M-F 1pm. The Lili'uokalani Botanical Garden is nearby with picnic tables and streams.

7) Leonard's Bakery - malasadas!! I personally like the basic cinnamon sugar, no filling

8) Ono Hawaiian Foods - 726 Kapahulu Ave. real Hawaiian food restaurant, mom and pop place. Closed on certain days. The star is supposed to be the pipikaula short ribs

9) Helena's Hawaiian Food - 1240 N. School Street, another mom and pop Hawaiian restaurant. Closed when I passed by... boo. The star is supposed to be their lau lau.

Oahu, outside of Waikiki:

1) Polynesian Cultural Center - One of Oahu's main attraction, can take a whole day with different village shows, dinner and the evening show is usually rated very high.

2) Dole Plantation - big maze, train tour, pineapple treats. Admission to the plantation/store is free, but Pineapple Express 20 min train ride/tour, Maze, and Garden Tour have a cost.

3) North Shore - high surf beaches, Haleiwa town, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, Turtle Beach, Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Haleiwa (the original is in Kahuku)

4) Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve- best to go early to avoid long lines (they only allow certain #s at a time) for snorkeling, wear your water shoes so you don't cut yourself on coral, but no waves and protected, easy to snorkeling. fish come right up to you. Closed on Tuesdays

5) Kailua town- area also has Lanikai and Waimanalo beaches, much less crowded with tourists. Kayaking is popular here.

6) Sea LIfe Park - I've never been... but apparently, they have a Dolphin Experience, and a luau too.

7) Kualoa Ranch - Go ATVing, horseback riding, take a boat ride, go on a movie tour.

Valley of Temples, Byodo-In. Waimea Valley/Falls are other options.

Loved the tips on the leis, fruit and Oahu/Honolulu food choices. Looking forward to more and let us know how you're doing with figuring out how to post your pics. Hope we hear more from you soon!:) Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks, everyone! I am hoping to write up Day 2 soon... but I need your help with the pics! I am just not having any luck getting them posted. I basically just have pics in iPhoto on my computer. Anybody know what can I do??

Thanks for that GREAT to-do list for Honolulu! Henry's sounds like it was made for us. My husband is a vegan and ice cream is at the top of my food pyramid (;):p) so a place that has fresh fruit AND good ice cream is perfect!

Bubbie's ice cream also sounds great but it looks like there are no locations in downtown Honolulu.:(

To attach a picture first click on "post reply" as you normally would, then scroll down and click on "manage attachment", then click on "browse" and your photos should show up. Make sure you then click on "upload" before you close that window.

You can only attach 4 or 6 (can't remember which) pictures to each post.

Thanks for your taking time to write a report. Just a suggestion: break the text into smaller paragraphs instead on one long contiuous piece - it is very difficult to read.

Post #10 was much easier to read due to the numebered list :)

Thanks for your taking time to write a report. Just a suggestion: break the text into smaller paragraphs instead on one long contiuous piece - it is very difficult to read.

Post #10 was much easier to read due to the numebered list :)

I agree!! thanks for your review!

Thanks, everyone! I am hoping to write up Day 2 soon... but I need your help with the pics! I am just not having any luck getting them posted. I basically just have pics in iPhoto on my computer. Anybody know what can I do??

Go to Webshots and set up a free account. Upload your pictures in there, make sure you make your album "Public".

Once they are uploaded click on the picture you want to post to bring it up. Below and to the right of the picture is a grey box with several options. You will see the option "link to it". Click on that and several link options will be shown. Choose the pixel size you want (I use 500 or 600). Then highlight the code in the box labeled "Post in a forum". Paste that code into your post and viola! Pictures!

(this is the largest - 600 Pixels)

2799746470071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

It is really quite easy once you have done it, and you will also have your pictures saved in an online site. That way if your computer crashes you will have that as an additional back up.

Good luck!:)

Go to Webshots and set up a free account.

It is really quite easy once you have done it, and you will also have your pictures saved in an online site. That way if your computer crashes you will have that as an additional back up.

Great idea. I've been wanting an extra backup of my vacation photos.

Thanks, Sunny AZ Girl...I'm gonna try posting pics now! For this first day, I'll use some pics I took in Sept as well.

2429545860106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

View from our balcony at Coconut Waikiki

2433470220106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Rocking chairs on balcony at Moana Surfrider Hotel (with lei I made) (Sept)

2083780500106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

$6 Steak plate from Steak Shack!

2594217680106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Duke Statue in November, compared to......

2095377230106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Duke Statue in September!

2106264200106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Spam Musubi from Iyasume Musubi (Sept) Yum!

Go to Webshots and set up a free account. Upload your pictures in there, make sure you make your album "Public".

Once they are uploaded click on the picture you want to post to bring it up. Below and to the right of the picture is a grey box with several options. You will see the option "link to it". Click on that and several link options will be shown. Choose the pixel size you want (I use 500 or 600). Then highlight the code in the box labeled "Post in a forum". Paste that code into your post and viola! Pictures!

(this is the largest - 600 Pixels)

2799746470071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

Ooh, where did you see that beautiful parrot?

Sorry folks, for the long essay on Day One. It was late and I wasn't thinking about the reading ease of the public. I will try to break it down into smaller chunks and put pictures in so it will be easier to keep track of where you left off. Thanks for your patience. It's my first time sharing my experiences with the public.

So here goes...

DAY TWO:

11/27- Saturday - I woke up around 5:00am to have the Protein pack as breakfast and get ready for my Diamond Head Hike tour. I chose the 6am departure with Oahu Nature Tours so that I could view the sunrise atop Diamond Head. It was only $24.03 with an online discount. It was still dark as I left the doors of the hotel, and there were some sprinkles so I was glad I had my light jacket with hood on. I waited about 15min for the van to arrive and then we picked up a handful of other passengers before we made our way to Diamond Head.

We were each given a bottle of water, and made a bathroom pit stop before we started on the trail. The guide told us that for the first 25min or so, it would be heads down, no chitchat from him, nothing but business and he was going to set the pace. He mentioned that it would probably be uncomfortable for most of us, but to do our best and we would meet at this particular viewing spot. Well, I thought, no problem, I'm a quick walker...why, I'm a pro at dodging in and out of busy downtown streets or amusement park crowds...no problem! Well, he wasn't kidding, because within two minutes, my lungs were burning and my heart was definitely pumping! I didn't need to wear my jacket anymore, that's for sure. Man, did I get my exercise for the day (or week...) in this hike. I'm only 5'1" so my short stumpy legs could not keep up. Still I did my best and I kept somewhere in the middle-front of the pack. But it definitely was a good cardio workout.

Eventually, we all made it up to the lookout spot and we waited a few minutes for the sun to rise with a nice crowd of other tourists. There is something kind of funny about all these people staring at the sun, basically burning our retinas, and somehow we all just keep doing it. haha. But something about being up and about before the sun rises, and breathing in the new day, was very cool. I enjoyed those few moments as we just entered the park and walked by these trees along the trail, and everything was still at dawn, in shadows, and there was a certain quietness to the day. That was my favorite part.

2726326370106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Sunrise at Diamond Head

After the sunrise, the tour guide then started his "tour duties" and explained a lot about the formation of the Hawaiian Islands and how certain plants and animals got to the islands. It was all very fascinating and interesting. I wish I could remember it all, but this is one of the reasons why I like coming back time and again....refresher courses in Hawaii history, flora/fauna! He was a very informative tour guide, but seemed very down to business in getting his information out to us.

We climbed over 200 steps of stairs to get to the top of Diamond Head, there was a tunnel and a narrow spiral metal-staircase as well. Some more claustrophobic folks might not enjoy that portion too well. As one put it, it's not a difficult hike, but it's not a casual hike either. I had emailed the tour company earlier regarding if it would be okay to wear sport sandals instead of closed-toed shoes, and they advised me to wear closed toed shoes. I didn't want to pack extra shoes just for a hike, but in the end I'm glad I did. I would recommend a pair of tennies for the hike, just a lot of loose pebbles and stones and uneven ground and stairs. I felt a lot more secure with my tennis shoes. Plus, I'm a little prone to accidents, so I needed to watch where I was going. I also advise, if you go on your own by car or bus, you should go early in the day because it can get hot out there and exerting so much energy to reaching the top can be difficult in hot weather.

When we reached the top, we could see the Diamond Head lighthouse, Diamond Head crater, and Waikiki. It was beautiful and we all felt accomplished that we made it to the top! At the end of the tour, back down at the van, the tour guide gave us each our own Certificate for climbing Diamond Head. I arrived back to my hotel at about 8:50am. One last thing, when you take tours, I always tend to bring a light jacket because it can get really cold in the van or bus with the AC on. This was the case for this tour.

2000125410106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Diamond Head Crater in background

2259875870106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

View of Waikiki from atop Diamond Head

2701022780106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Lighthouse at Diamond Head

My friend chose to go on a WWII Start to End Tour with Discover Hawaii Tours from 6:20am to 1:45pm. She said she enjoyed it, but there were several communication problems regarding pick ups. It seems DHT has different tours and so one group is at the Swap Meet, while others are at the Arizona, and so they are dropping people off and picking people up and if one person isn't there at the right time and meeting point, it could affect others elsewhere. If you want to use DHT, check online at retailmenot.com for a discount code. I think we got one for $5 off.

Since I had 5 hours left before having to meet up with my friend, I decided I'd try and find this camera battery and recharger of mine! It was Black Friday the day before, so I knew it would probably be a mad house at the mall and I didn't want to waste any of my friend's few hours in Waikiki with my battery search. I made a few phone calls to Radio Shack and Ritz Camera and Best Buy but nobody had it. The closest I got was Best Buy (who had me on hold for 15min...there was only one guy doing the phones) who said they had the battery but no charger.

Luckily, my sister let me bring her IPad with me so I was able to look things up online and call these stores in the privacy of my own room. So then I got the idea of looking for the generic batteries/chargers for my Panasonic camera, and so that started a whole new search online for which batteries would work. I searched online for Walmart, Kmart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Ritz Camera to name a few. When I found a lead, I would call the store and then they would say they didn't have anything in stock.

So finally, finally, I searched "battery store honolulu" and found a store called Battery Bill's. I called them and busy signal. I'm a little obsessive when I get something in my head...I wasn't giving up! So I kept trying, and finally I get through and the guy says that he has a generic battery and charger that will work with my Panasonic, and I'm like, are you SURE it will work with my camera? And he said yes, so I ask him to hold it for me, and I basically go on thebus.org to plan a trip to Battery Bill's!

If you want to take The Bus, just go to their website and enter your start and end destination, time of arrival/departure and they'll plan your trip for you. The Bus costs $2.50 one way, but includes a transfer that allows you to take a return trip back for free within a certain time period. Most buses announce the different stops and with major stops, certain sites in the vicinity. You can get to Chinatown, Ala Moana Shopping Center, Iolani Palace, and downtown by bus relatively easy. You can even go to North Shore or Hanauma Bay if you really wanted to, but it would probably take you a while. I took the bus to Hanauma Bay in my (much) younger days, and it probably took 45min and it was JAM packed. That was in the summer peak season. Don't think I would do it again!

Because I was unfamiliar with the neighborhoods, I asked a couple as I got near my stop just in case and they told me it was the next stop. So I end up at the battery store, buying a battery/charger, hopping on the bus back to Waikiki, stopping off at McDonald's to pick up a McRib (or else I gotta wait 12yrs to try it again, you know...) and brought it back to the hotel in time to meet my friend at 2:05pm in the lobby of our hotel.

Phrew! So I literally spent 8hours of my vacation and 63 extra bucks, getting this battery/charger. But it was TOTALLY worth it for me. I know, I'm crazy like that...but all I had was my back-up old camera with one little xD card and no charger, so I knew I would not be able to stretch it out more than 2days. It was nice to know that I had the freedom to take as many pictures as I wanted now that I had a battery/charger and plenty of SD cards. Hooray!

You definitely get the "local flavor" riding the bus. I had myself a little adventure getting there and back, and I made it in the nick of time! Mark from hawaii23.com was waiting for us outside, so we got on the van at 2:15pm and off we were to the pier! The cost for us, from the Coconut Waikiki to the Cruise Pier 2 was $16 total (without tips)...Mark told us to call him when we got back from the cruise, and he said he would try to get a ride for us from the pier to the airport. For some reason, Mark is not able to do that leg (Pier to Airport) but he has lots of taxi friends and contacts.

We arrive at the Pier and decide to bring our own carry-on luggage up with us. The line to check in was maybe 5-10min and then through security we went. We were grateful to learn that our room was already ready!! We booked an inside room on Deck 4, that didn't seem to have any neighbors on either side. One side was a small side hallway, the other side was a walkway for personnel. It was our little home for the next 7nts and it worked fine for us. I didn't need the ear plugs at all on the cruise.

Our room steward, Meraflor, was always friendly and greeted us by name. We had towel animals everyday, towels changed and replenished, and always got our dailies. We left a note asking if we could empty our refrigerator and for ice, and she did these without incident. She was always around if we needed anything at all.

2743435020106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

Me and Meraflor in our cabin

The cabin itself had a leaking soap dispenser that couldn't be fixed (they needed to replace it but didn't have a new one yet), so we just lived with it. The circular light fixture above my friend's bed didn't work, but they had it fixed by the time we came back from dinner the first night. Other than that, things were just fine- clean, enough storage, and the size was as expected. Based on the advice of others on CC, I brought an over the door organizer which helped keep stuff handy and not cluttering the desks. So we unpacked a little bit, settled ourselves in. I had my late McRib lunch, while my friend briefed me on her Pearl Harbor tour.

I didn't have much expectation for POA and thought of it as many others have said, as a floating hotel/transportation. But honestly, I enjoyed the ship and thought it was really nice. There was an advantage of staying on Deck 4...you only have to walk up one/two flight of stairs to get to many of the restaurants and reception! Plus, for the most part, you only have to walk down one flight of stairs to disembark for the ports. As for motion on the boat, I did take a preventative Bonine most evenings and it didn't bother me at all. There was significant movement arriving and leaving Kauai, and we felt it most playing a game of ping pong on one of the higher decks! LOL! But for the most part, we didn't feel it was anything too crazy. I don't know if being on a lower deck had anything to do with it, though. We were about mid-ship.

It was about 3:30pm when my friend mentioned she wanted to go to Chinatown to look for these special rice cakes that her friends back home wanted. If we wanted to make the muster drill at 4:30pm, we had better hurry! So we literally SPED walked, almost trotted sometimes...it was Diamond Head revisited! Only this time with city streets! It seems so much closer on a map, but it took us 25minutes to get to Chinatown at a very rushed pace! We barely had time to buy the rice cakes at this specific store, and sped walked (I know, that's not really a word, but humor me...) directly back to the ship, through security again. We made it back at 4:35pm and they directed us to our station out at deck 6 as we entered the ship. They actually took attendance and asked for your cabin number. It turns out we waited another 10-15min at least until the muster drill actually started. Thankfully, we didn't need to bring any life vests with us and it was over soon enough.

2267872790106976244S600x600Q85.jpg

My friend with her rice cakes in Chinatown

After the drill, I think we went to the restaurant reservations desk and inquired about the Culinary Passport. We were informed that they no longer offer the Culinary Passport. We were able however to make a reservation for whatever restaurant and whatever nights we wanted right then and there. Then they would print out a little receipt for you that showed you the reservation time. You have until a certain time to cancel without penalty, I believe it was until like 4 or 5pm on the day of the reservation. We booked the Teppanyaki for Monday night, and Jefferson's Bistro for Friday night.

We had random questions for the front desk, and James from the CC Boards approached us as we were in line and asked how he could help. It was like seeing a celebrity in person! =) Of course, I didn't let on that I recognized him from CC, but he was so very professional and you could tell his level was service was top notch, he was just so helpful.

We explored the ship a bit, and decided to have dinner at the Aloha Cafe buffet. It was fairly mellow as it was just before the ship was about to set sail, so people were probably on deck or at the sail away party. The food in general at the buffet was just fine. They had some lamb at the carving table that was quite good! My friend was a fan of the french fries and had a little everyday. Plenty to choose from, and to taste. But people were right that the desserts don't really stand out on POA, and this is esp true for the buffet. This is coming from a dessert girl!

After dinner, I think we just walked off our food before settling in for the night because we had a long day tomorrow. When we arrived back at our cabin, we found the lovely magnets and postcards left by Cruising Goddess. My friend was thrilled! It was such a lovely souvenir. Thanks so much, CG!! Since we didn't know her cabin number, we made a point to keep our eyes out for her so that we could say thank you in person later on the cruise.

Archived