NCL Sun Main Dining Rooms - Jeans or Not?

Tennessee_Holly

Are jeans allowed in either of the two MDR's for dinner on the NCL Sun?

The reason I ask is because we were on the Sky last March and it was okay I know in at least one MDR, but I do believe the other had a no jeans policy stated.

However, I've read that no jeans are allowed in the Sun's MDR's on some sites.

Any insight on this, anyone? Thanks!

The reason I ask is because we were on the Sky last March and it was okay I know in at least one MDR, but I do believe the other had a no jeans policy stated.

Yes, Jeans are allowed in both main dining rooms and all pay restaurants. Below is a direct quote from one of last weeks dailies.

What to wear: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Four our Seven Seas Main Dining & Le Bistro dress code is Smart Casual: collared shirts & pants or nice jeans with closed toed shoes for men; slacks or jeans, skirts & tops are prefect for women. No baseball caps or visors. (Presentable jeans are clean without holes & tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition). For All Other Restaurants dress code is Cruise Casual: Khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shirts for men (no tank tops). Ladies: casual dresses, casual skirts or pants & tops, summer dresses, Capri pants, shorts, jeans.

Yes, Jeans are allowed in both main dining rooms and all pay restaurants. Below is a direct quote from one of last weeks dailies.

What to wear: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Four our Seven Seas Main Dining & Le Bistro dress code is Smart Casual: collared shirts & pants or nice jeans with closed toed shoes for men; slacks or jeans, skirts & tops are prefect for women. No baseball caps or visors. (Presentable jeans are clean without holes & tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition). For All Other Restaurants dress code is Cruise Casual: Khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shirts for men (no tank tops). Ladies: casual dresses, casual skirts or pants & tops, summer dresses, Capri pants, shorts, jeans.

Thanks for your reply, fergusonvt! The boyfriend will be happy to hear this - he's a simple jeans kind of guy. :)

We saw lots of jeans in Four Seasons. We didn't go to Seven Seas because the menu was the same and neither my husband or son wanted to wear the long pants they both brought. I wore either Jeans or Capri's. In addition to the Jeans I saw very casual t-shirts and sweat shirts and the occasional very dressed up person(s). Have a great time, you will love the Sun. It appeared to be a full cruise last week but never really seemed crowded except for days by the pool. We never had an issue finding lounge chairs.

I believe it's shorts that is only allowed in one of the MDR... someone can confirm that. ;)

We were on the Sun this past summer and one of our male friends is a fervent jeans wearer.

He wore them into every restaurant on the Sun (including the specialty ones) and there was never a problem. He was treated the same as the rest of us who were "dressed up".

His jeans were always neat, clean and not ripped or torn though. Hope this helps you.

We saw lots of jeans in Four Seasons. We didn't go to Seven Seas because the menu was the same and neither my husband or son wanted to wear the long pants they both brought. I wore either Jeans or Capri's. In addition to the Jeans I saw very casual t-shirts and sweat shirts and the occasional very dressed up person(s). Have a great time, you will love the Sun. It appeared to be a full cruise last week but never really seemed crowded except for days by the pool. We never had an issue finding lounge chairs.

Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciated. That makes me feel much better about it :cool: We can't wait.

We were on the Sun this past summer and one of our male friends is a fervent jeans wearer.

He wore them into every restaurant on the Sun (including the specialty ones) and there was never a problem. He was treated the same as the rest of us who were "dressed up".

His jeans were always neat, clean and not ripped or torn though. Hope this helps you.

Thank you, Kancruze! That's great to know. I had just read so many conflicting statements that I wasn't sure WHAT to believe. We're just not fancy people, at all, and find nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans and nice shirt for dinner instead of a suit and tie and dress, haha! (Although I think I want to buy a few cute dresses to change it up!) ;)

To the OP....I'm not attacking you, so please don't take it as such. You are simply following the guidelines the cruise lines have put in place. IMO the problem lies with the rules they have put in place. They seem to be changing them now (relaxing them) to get more "regular" people on the ships.

While this may be good for their bottom line, I wonder why they can't designate one dining room as a "dressy" one out of the myriad of choices that the guests have. It just seems silly to me to have 20 dining options on some ships and not have at least one for the people who want that option.

Finally, again not attacking anyone, but I also wonder how many people enter a cruise line dining room expecting five star food and service while wearing two star apparel?

I've heard it said that when going on a job interview, no matter what the position, you should dress for the job you want. Maybe they should apply this to cruising. Dress for the meal you want......

To the OP....I'm not attacking you, so please don't take it as such. You are simply following the guidelines the cruise lines have put in place. IMO the problem lies with the rules they have put in place. They seem to be changing them now (relaxing them) to get more "regular" people on the ships.

While this may be good for their bottom line, I wonder why they can't designate one dining room as a "dressy" one out of the myriad of choices that the guests have. It just seems silly to me to have 20 dining options on some ships and not have at least one for the people who want that option.

Finally, again not attacking anyone, but I also wonder how many people enter a cruise line dining room expecting five star food and service while wearing two star apparel?

I've heard it said that when going on a job interview, no matter what the position, you should dress for the job you want. Maybe they should apply this to cruising. Dress for the meal you want......

There were quite a few people dressed up on our cruise last week in both the dining room we ate in and that I saw in line waiting for the other. They do have that option in my opinion and the fact that someone sitting next to them is wearing shorts (which frankly you can't see once you are seated with your legs under the table cloth) shouldn't detract from that. I dressed up more one of the nights and the fact that DS and DH were wearing shorts didn't affect me in the slightest. It is the options that are available that appealed to us when we first booked with NCL and is one of the things that will keep us coming back. There were recently 2 threads arguing about clothing in the dining rooms so let's not turn this question asked by the OP into a third.

There were quite a few people dressed up on our cruise last week in both the dining room we ate in and that I saw in line waiting for the other. They do have that option in my opinion and the fact that someone sitting next to them is wearing shorts (which frankly you can't see once you are seated with your legs under the table cloth) shouldn't detract from that. I dressed up more one of the nights and the fact that DS and DH were wearing shorts didn't affect me in the slightest. It is the options that are available that appealed to us when we first booked with NCL and is one of the things that will keep us coming back. There were recently 2 threads arguing about clothing in the dining rooms so let's not turn this question asked by the OP into a third.

Look, I said the OP was well within their rights to dress as they saw fit according to NCL's own rules. So much for clarifying my statement as being not attacking anyone...LOL

Your opinion on the "option" is not what I was refering to. I was talking about designating one venue for "dress clothes" only. No exceptions...no shorts under the table, no flip flops etc.....Frankly I find it would be hard to enforce any rule on a ship as people tend to do what they want anyway.

Sorry, I'll continue to voice my opinions on subjects whether all people want to read them or not. I'm not doing anything in a malicious way. The thread is about dining room dress. I didn't steer it that way. If the OP's question was answered, and I think it was, then the mods can close the thread if they see fit.

I actually do understand what you are saying! No "attack" taken ;)

Actually, I expected them to have one formal dining room like you were talking about, and then the other one where you could dress less "dressy" for us who don't want to go all out. That's why I asked.

From what I can remember, that's how it was on the Sky last March - one with jeans, one without. Or maybe that was just something I read but I never checked the "rules" on board. Regardless, simple 'ol us do not plan on wearing formal gowns and suits to dinner but still dressing "nice" as if going to a nice casual restaurant, so I was trying to find out where we "fit" in for dinner and what was allowed where. We'd be fine eating the buffet regardless in our jeans ;)

I actually do understand what you are saying! No "attack" taken ;)

Actually, I expected them to have one formal dining room like you were talking about, and then the other one where you could dress less "dressy" for us who don't want to go all out. That's why I asked.

From what I can remember, that's how it was on the Sky last March - one with jeans, one without. Or maybe that was just something I read but I never checked the "rules" on board. Regardless, simple 'ol us do not plan on wearing formal gowns and suits to dinner but still dressing "nice" as if going to a nice casual restaurant, so I was trying to find out where we "fit" in for dinner and what was allowed where. We'd be fine eating the buffet regardless in our jeans ;)

You would be dressed up wearing jeans to the buffet, :rolleyes: some of the things we saw last week LOL :eek:, but that's a whole other story.

You would be dressed up wearing jeans to the buffet, :rolleyes: some of the things we saw last week LOL :eek:, but that's a whole other story.

Isn't that the truth :rolleyes:

OP, jeans (without holes/rips/stains) are about as casual as you probably want to go in the dining room... as long as you don't plan to pair them with T-shirts and flip flops, you'll be fine.

we were on the SUN for the first 2 weeks in December and jeans and shorts were allowed in both MDRs each nite...hubby wore both and he also dressed up a bit more thru the 2 weeks and there was a little of everything we never saw anyone turned away for anything they were wearing in both MDRs.

i dont see anything wrong with nice pair of khaki or dress type shorts but i do frown on the basketball types...JMHO

i like that NCL has gone to the resort casual all the time in all the venues...its our choice to dress-up or not...some nights we will and others we dont but we want also the choice to eat in any of the venues...we LOVE NCL for this reason...

if others want a more dressed up atmosphere for dining then perhaps NCL isnt the line for them.

I can't stand that, no offense to anyone but if they advertise one MDR doesn't allow shorts/jeans/whatever... they should enforce it at all times and not just sometimes... the Sky was that way... I did see them enforce the no shorts in the one MDR at least once.

I watched them turn away 2 men on our Sun cruise 1/1 -1/8.

IMO the problem lies with the rules they have put in place. They seem to be changing them now (relaxing them) to get more "regular" people on the ships.

Not sure what you mean by "regular". I see NCL catering to an increasing majority of cruisers, who would rather not bother with packing formal wear (count me in that group).

I don't see the connection between high quality food/service and formal wear. You can have a wide selection of tasty food, efficiently served, while dressed casually.

Yes, jeans are permitted in all dining venues on our NCL Dawn 12 day repo cruise and I understand same for all other NCL cruise ships. I wore my jeans/sandals 90% of the time with a decent shirt at all MDRs /speciality spots. I did it because NCL officials said I could so what other patrons thought I didn't care

Archived