Car Rental in St. Maarten

darthnomster

Hello anyone with recent car rental experience on St. Maarten. We rented Nov. 28 from inside the gate for $75 total plus gas from Sun Than, but the others were all price fixed at $82. The car was brand new and they said we scratched the bumper. I prefer an older vehicle. We would like any info on Arthurs or others outside the gate, and their pricing. Any advice? Thanks.

Oh and by the way we just answered your question.:)

Why would you be anything but honest? That wouldn't be very helpful now would it.

Yes Yes karysa, we understand your frustrations. But I am a risk taker, willling to go outside the gate. If Arthurs let us down, I will make it clear. But let's not use this forum for personal vendettas.

Yes Yes karysa, we understand your frustrations. But I am a risk taker, willling to go outside the gate. If Arthurs let us down, I will make it clear. But let's not use this forum for personal vendettas.

I actually hope that it works out for you. I agree that the single day rental rates are getting out of hand. We paid $94 the last two times at the pier. We have 5 people in our family so it still was an economical way to get around the island for the day but for a couple I would probably just stick to taxis myself and often recommend taxis to couples who only want to make a couple of stops. The hassels of fender benders and the strict drinking and driving laws especially on the French side along with the steep price of rentals make taxis a great alternative. When you factor in gas along with $94 for the rental the transportation costs are about $120 for the day.

I only posted because you specifically asked about Arthur's in particular. You asked like on 5 threads on the same day. Not sure why still? I've had hundreds of chances to post my experience with Arthur on here and usually choose not to but your consecutive posts on 5 threads from days gone by made me a little suspicious I must confess.

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all interested in rental cars on St. Maarten. We just returned, rented from Arthur's (local born owner Albeto Phillips) just outside the gate. We reserved ahead, an economy four door and were promised a 2008 for $63 with insurance and tax included. We were the sixth ship to dock and arrived at 9:15am, and Arthur still had a vehicle for us, but it was an old beat up two door gas guzzler. We still had a great day around the island, but gas cost was three times that of the little four door we rented over Thanksgiving for $75 inside the cruise terminal gate. Some say those inside the gate are up to $94, so I guess it pays to shop. Our rating for Arthur's would be neutral, and we will try him again next time.

Hello all interested in rental cars on St. Maarten. We just returned, rented from Arthur's (local born owner Albeto Phillips) just outside the gate. We reserved ahead, an economy four door and were promised a 2008 for $63 with insurance and tax included. We were the sixth ship to dock and arrived at 9:15am, and Arthur still had a vehicle for us, but it was an old beat up two door gas guzzler. We still had a great day around the island, but gas cost was three times that of the little four door we rented over Thanksgiving for $75 inside the cruise terminal gate. Some say those inside the gate are up to $94, so I guess it pays to shop. Our rating for Arthur's would be neutral, and we will try him again next time.

Thanks for the review. How much did you end up payin for gas?

• 1 month later...
I was surprised by Arthur. But not "pleasantly".

Arthur needs to come up with new excuses when he stands people up. Actually sending an email instead of just saying he did will help his cause as well.

Can you elaborate on your experience? We will be in St. Maarten for the first time next week and are considering renting from Arthur's. When you say you were "stood up," what do you mean? My understanding is that the rental location is a short walk from the pier. Do you mean you got there and the place was closed? Or didn't have any cars?

Chris.

• 1 year later...
Can you elaborate on your experience? We will be in St. Maarten for the first time next week and are considering renting from Arthur's. When you say you were "stood up," what do you mean? My understanding is that the rental location is a short walk from the pier. Do you mean you got there and the place was closed? Or didn't have any cars?

Chris.

Just saw this today. Post #23 sums up our experience pretty well I think.

• 2 years later...

For the best SXM Car Rental deals on the island (both french and Dutch side), just contact Value Car Rental, or make an online reservation / booking through their website: -> http://www.valuecarrental.com

Their service is great and since they have rebranded and got under new management / ownership, their fleet of cars has been updated. We always rent with them and book upfront upon our arrival and make sure the car gets delivered on the location where we want it to be, or that we pick it up at one of their 6 locations on the island.

Their team of people is very professional, always smiling and the best thing about it is, that no other car rental company on the island can beat their prices. We always compare it with the other car rental companies on the island, before we even book, but nonetheless, their prices always show up as the cheapest. The cars are all fairly new, clean and well maintained. And starting at only $ 10,- USD a day, you can't go wrong.

Just take al look at Value's website and see it for yourselves. Their latest deals are always on their website, and if You have any specific questions, just send them an e-mail, and they usually reply very prompt. We would absolutely recommend renting a car from Value Car Rental.