BART ??s - Traveling tomorrow

alwalaska

Although this is a work trip and not a cruise trip, I am hoping that the great people on CC can help me.

I am arriving at SFO and traveling into the city around 5pm. (I'm guessing this is the opposite direction from rush hour)

I am returning to SFO on Friday morning around 6am. My hotel is the Hyatt Regency and is supposedly right next door to the BART station at Embarcadaro Station.

I will have one suitcase (checked on airplanes - just slightly to big for a roll-aboard) and my laptop bag. Can I feasibly take BART or do I need a cab. I read on the BART web site that if your bag doesn't fit under the seat, you need to sit with it in your lap. I don't see that working with a real suitcase.

Thanks all.

I take Bart every once in a while because I don't like driving into to san Francisco.

I usually have to go past the Airport Bart Station.

I see folks all the time with suit cases that are not under the seats.

The times i have gone have not been during the regular commute hour.

Although this is a work trip and not a cruise trip, I am hoping that the great people on CC can help me.

I am arriving at SFO and traveling into the city around 5pm. (I'm guessing this is the opposite direction from rush hour)

I am returning to SFO on Friday morning around 6am. My hotel is the Hyatt Regency and is supposedly right next door to the BART station at Embarcadaro Station.

I will have one suitcase (checked on airplanes - just slightly to big for a roll-aboard) and my laptop bag. Can I feasibly take BART or do I need a cab. I read on the BART web site that if your bag doesn't fit under the seat, you need to sit with it in your lap. I don't see that working with a real suitcase.

Thanks all.

You should be fine. I have traveled with 25 inch suitcases on BART without problems. Just sit at the seats near the doors. See here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/BART_C1_interior.jpg

It only gets inconvenient if the trains are very busy and you have to stand near the doors with a big suitcase. But your travel times should be fine.

When you arrive at SFO, just follow the signs for the AirTrain and get off at the BART stop. Very convenient.

"I read on the BART web site that if your bag doesn't fit under the seat, you need to sit with it in your lap."

This is nonsense! Try to board one of the front or back cars, usually the middle ones have more passengers, and you are fine! Everybody brings suitcases on BART, nobody puts them under seats.

Thanks all. It went great. I had emailed BART as well before the trip and they responded after I was already in San Fran. (Good thing I have Cruise Critic and the great folks here).

I was able to sit in one of the seats by the door and keep my luggage in front of me no problem. Going back to the airport was at the end of rush hour and I stood with my luggage for the first couple of stops and then was able to get a seat. No problems at all.

Archived