Some thoughts about our CP cruise

zurmoly

Yes, when? I am seriously considering the 11 night Western on the NCL DAWN from NY. Close to home, (no flying) and I have read great reviews! Of course this will be next winter as they only do the 11 night during the winter months. Have any of you from NY done this? Jan

I have a couple of questions:

1. Hogging chairs is not a problem just on the CP. It has been my experience this happens on just about every cruise ship. I do not understand why the Caribbean Princess seems to get singled out for this?

2. If you notice a chair has had a towel and nothing more on it for several hours, why not just move the towel and use the chair? Are there not rules posted that chairs are not to be reserved?

I think the reason that it stood out more on the CP is that there are so many more passengers and the ship is just so large. There are many many chairs around both mid-ship pools as well as on the sun decks above. I found them to be much more densly packed on this ship than they were on the Ocean Princess. At times it was difficult to even move around on the deck for all the chairs.

The rule is that chairs are not to be reserved (signs posted to that effect) and I'd have no problem removing a towel after seeing it there for hours, but people would leave a book and/or a pair of shoes on the chair and I wasn't comfortable touching someone's personal property. On a couple of occasions I noticed other passengers complaining to the deck crew and even they weren't willing to remove the items.

Yikes. I want reservations at both as well as the Ultimate Balcony Dinner when we go in April. When did you try for reservations? Is it a "as soon as we get on the ship" run for reservations sort of thing? Or is there a certain time you have to wait until they start booking?

Has anyone tried to book the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and not get that? I would be disappointed if I did not get Sterlings and Sabatini's. Devastated if I don't get the Balcony Dinner. My 30th birthday is during the cruise and that is what I want that night!

I don't know anything about the Balcony dinner. I believe that it's basically room service with an attending waiter. If you're heart is really set on it, maybe go to the website and see if you can book it in advance.

We didn't try to get the reservations for Sabatinis until the day we wanted them. I'm sure if we had tried as soon as we boarded we may have had better luck. I wanted to dine at Sabatini's on a night that I didn't care for what was offered in the main dining room. Does anyone know if there's a place where they post the menu for the entire week in advance? We would check the dinner menu each morning when it was posted at the entrance to the Island Dining Room and make our dinner plans accordingly. It would have been nice to know ahead of time to make our reservations.

So when does the next roll call start :) ?

Bill

Well, Bill, I opened my e-mailbox yesterday and RCCL is offering Crown & Anchor members first dibs on the Freedom of the Seas debuting next April. Much to my surprise, it peaked Karen's interest. I'd like to go on a Voyager class just to check it out. I spoke to many getting back on the Voyager in St. Thomas and they all had good things to say.

Nice meeting you and Gina (sp?) last week. Hope your transition back into reality is going smoothly this week.

Experienced the ultimate balcony dinner in November aboard the Caribbean Princess. More than just room service with a waiter. It was by far the best meal we had onboard that week. Better than sabitinis and sterlings. We booked it with our friends who were in the stateroom next to ours since we had adjoining balconies. We had a blast and will definetly make this a must on all Princess cruises that offer the balcony dinner. The service was extremely attentive, as we did in fact have a server waiting just outside the stateroom the entire time, and an additional server that did the gophering for the food.

Be sure that booking the dinner is your first priority when you board. They book up fast. We were told on the Caribbean that they only do 2 balcony dinners a night.

Gary

We liked the ship but agree with the bad pool situation. No chairs to sit on

but many lounge chairs with towels and no people on them. I don't think I would go on this ship again, too many people and the entertainment wasn't terrific either.

Maybe I'm just a rude and uncouth person, but I'd find a lounger that looked appealing and stake that puppy out for half an hour tops. If no one appeared, off would come the towel and plop would go my fat rump.

Sorry, but maybe I just wasn't raised with good manners? :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived