Some thoughts about our CP cruise

zurmoly

Just a few thoughts from our CP cruise last week.

Prebooked snorkel equipment and a float for Princess Cays. The snorkel equipment leaked and the snorkeling was not very good. There were many floats if you wanted them so there is no reason to prebook them. We hardly used ours.

Book any special dinning ASAP. We waited and could not get into Sterlings.

We arrived at 10:30 to port and were onboard at 11:45

Grab a porter with a tip and he will wisk you through customs and get you a taxi. We were at the airport at 9:15 in the am.

There is a teen program but it seems the teens tend to hang out at the pool most of the night. Teen center closes at 1am and it is amazing how long those kids get to run around after that. Our daughter was in our cabin at 1, and not to happy about it. There were many kids drinking. So be aware and stick to the 1 am curfew. The spa offered many specials during the week that we had prebooked online.

I felt the ship had to many people onboard. Getting a chair near the pool was a joke. We did have a greta cruise but will book a smaller ship next time...:)Jan

Just a few thoughts from our CP cruise last week.

Prebooked snorkel equipment and a float for Princess Cays. The snorkel equipment leaked and the snorkeling was not very good. There were many floats if you wanted them so there is no reason to prebook them. We hardly used ours.

Book any special dinning ASAP. We waited and could not get into Sterlings.

We arrived at 10:30 to port and were onboard at 11:45

Grab a porter with a tip and he will wisk you through customs and get you a taxi. We were at the airport at 9:15 in the am.

There is a teen program but it seems the teens tend to hang out at the pool most of the night. Teen center closes at 1am and it is amazing how long those kids get to run around after that. Our daughter was in our cabin at 1, and not to happy about it. There were many kids drinking. So be aware and stick to the 1 am curfew. The spa offered many specials during the week that we had prebooked online.

I felt the ship had to many people onboard. Getting a chair near the pool was a joke. We did have a greta cruise but will book a smaller ship next time...:)Jan

Glad that you had a great cruise. We will make sure that my Grand Daughter is in her room by 11 p.m. Thanks for the review. JCIKE

This sums it up exactly. We too had a wonderful time, but I wouldn't book on CP again. Having enjoyed the much more intimate and well staffed Ocean Princess (no longer part of the fleet but the same as Dawn Princess) I can appreciate what I missed on this last trip.

It was totally aggrievating to be unable to lounge in a chair by the pool and watch my children swim because of all the invisible passengers. I did get a chair one morning because it had no cushion on it and was shunned by the "invisibles". (A deck attendent quickly brought a replacement cushion). I noted that many of those chairs remained empty hours later. It was a oft heard complaint and one that the crew seemed unwilling to actively remedy.

We were unable to get reservations at either Sabatinis or Sterling Steakhouse as they were booked solid. I was told by other passengers that they were unable to get appointments at the spa. I can't vouch for that as I didn't try to book anything.

In talking with a crew member about the different ships etc we learned that although the CP carried 3100 passengers, the crew was about the same size as the smaller capacity ships. Although the crew did their best and every member we came in contact with was polite and accommodating, the short staffing of crew was apparent. At the one show we attended in the Princess Theater, I noted a mere 3 waiters serving the entire theater. On the pool decks, during the entire cruise I was never once approached by a waiter even on port days when the area was much less crowded. The same holds true for the Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe with the exception of one morning when I was offered coffee. Any time I wanted a beverage (soda or cocktail) I had to go to a bar myself. I'm not all that lazy and don't mind going to the bar from time to time, but EVERY TIME???

We were frustrated by the Horizon Court as well. Usually only one section was open and the dining area was small for the number of passengers it was serving. (On the OP the Horizon wrapped around the deck at the bow of the ship in a large and deep "U" that had a full bar at he curve of the "U") On the CP, the Horizon dining area ran up the side and then there was a connection to the Cafe Caribe separated by an elevator lobby/stairwell. The Caribe then continued around in a more slender "U" shape. There was a bar outside on a deck behind the dining room.

Some mornings the Caribe was open for breakfast, some it was not. Most people stopped at the Horizon and then tried to find a spot to eat there or outside by the pool. The dining area was rather narrow and the walkway through was kind of wavy and narrow as well so that it was sometimes difficult at the peak of a wave for two people to pass without turning sideways. Also, there were limited breaks between the passway and the tables so you had to slide between the dividers (if there wasn't a plant there blocking the way).

We figured out that even if the Caribe buffet was closed, you could still eat in there. And while it was cooler and more comfortable there, if the buffet line was closed, it was certain that there would be no table service.

The buffet lines themselves were not well managed. There was no rhyme or reason to the the flow through the various areas. People were all moving in different directions depending on which way they entered the food service area. It became crowded and confused.

Lest it seem like all was not good, the Theater under the Stars was VERY VERY COOL!! During the day, family friendly movies and concerts were shown. For my 7 year old son, life couldn't get any better than sitting in the hot tub or pool side sipping his Shirley Temple and watching Shrek II LOL! Because of our later dinner reservations, I never had a chance to see "Shall We Dance" or the other feature in the evening, but my older children enjoyed that immensely.

Also, it was a more festive ship than the OP which I saw as a plus. There seemed to be many more options for evening entertainment. I loved the entertainer (Burt?) in Crooners and enjoyed some of the music in The Explorer Lounge. (Santino and Black Jax). SkyWalkers was very very cool even though felt ancient while there (at my tender age oif 41!!! LOL!)

Thanks for your comments. The Caribbean Princess is similiar to the Grand, Golden and Star but with 500 more passengers on the ship (extra deck of passengers). This seems too crowded for me and for this reason, I am trying to avoid the ship.

We liked the ship but agree with the bad pool situation. No chairs to sit on

but many lounge chairs with towels and no people on them. I don't think I would go on this ship again, too many people and the entertainment wasn't terrific either.

Thanks for your comments. The Caribbean Princess is similiar to the Grand, Golden and Star but with 500 more passengers on the ship (extra deck of passengers). This seems too crowded for me and for this reason, I am trying to avoid the ship.

Coral - For those of us with choices I would recommend another ship. But for those who can only sail 7 days or on certain dates, I would certainly suggest the Caribbean Princess. It wasn't all bad...in fact most was good. Ditto someone who mentions poor shows -EXCEPT for KIMIKA. They were fantastic. Food is okay, and there is much to do. Even though we did not like the crowded conditions in some areas, we did have a good time. But give me the Coral or Island any day....this from someone who immensely enjoyed two Golden trips.

I certainly agree with you in regards to the lack of 'available' chairs pool side. We didn't ever feel too crowded while aboard however the next cruise we take on Princess will probably be on the Grand, Golden or Star.

Everything else we experienced onboard was fabulous!

Dan

It seems that the CP has become the Carnival like party boat for underage drinkers.

Just curious, with all due respect..........seems you believe this is so for this ship, so why take a cruise on the Caribbean Princess??:confused:

I have a couple of questions:

1. Hogging chairs is not a problem just on the CP. It has been my experience this happens on just about every cruise ship. I do not understand why the Caribbean Princess seems to get singled out for this?

2. If you notice a chair has had a towel and nothing more on it for several hours, why not just move the towel and use the chair? Are there not rules posted that chairs are not to be reserved?

1. Hogging chairs is not a problem just on the CP. It has been my experience this happens on just about every cruise ship. I do not understand why the Caribbean Princess seems to get singled out for this?

You are 100% accurate on your comments. Their are chair hogs on ALL lines and ALL ships. Really if you want a chair right next to the pool you have to be there very early.....again on every line and every ship. One of the sea days on the Caribbean Princess, we got there earlier than usual around 9:15. We had no problem finding chairs right next to the pool, although there were already many towels, books and sunglasses on chairs with no one on them. Simple facts that cruise lines need to address about enforcing their rules on reserving seats.

I've posted this before but here goes again. I'm a big fan of the smaller ships and our previous experience with the Grand was horrible. I won't go into details but I'll never go on the Grand again. However, we did go on the CB over New Years with an open mind and we had a great time. We didn't hang out at the pool and didn't go to the shows, but given it was a holiday cruise, I really wasn't aware of or bothered by crowds. I found a table for breakfast or lunch whenever I wanted, I never had a "wait" in the buffet line, if I was at a table in either the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe, there was someone there to see if anything needed to be taken away, to get coffee or take a soda-card drink order, and we never had a problem finding a table for a drink. And I mean "never" -- I went every day and didn't have any kind of a wait or problem. We had a great cruise and a good experience.

We did find that the specialty restaurants were 100% booked within 48 hours, so we shared that experience. We also made a reservation for dinner every night at 8PM, which worked fine for us. Still prefer traditional but this was OK.

I'd go on the CB again... and we might for next Christmas. With my daughter a teacher, we don't have a lot of flexibility.

2. If you notice a chair has had a towel and nothing more on it for several hours, why not just move the towel and use the chair? Are there not rules posted that chairs are not to be reserved?

Listen I loved the CP however it was my opinion that the chair hogging I experienced last month was the worst I've seen.

2. You know we shouldn't have to remove towels and brace ourselves for a confrontation because we've removed someone belonging from a chair. This is a cruise line issued and not a problem that we as paying passengers should have to deal with. When I'm on a cruise I'm on vacation and don't want or need to deal with this type of person. Believe me I deal with them every morning and every night as I battle these idiots on the roads to get home each night. Who needs it on vacation?

I certainly agree with you in regards to the lack of 'available' chairs pool side. We didn't ever feel too crowded while aboard however the next cruise we take on Princess will probably be on the Grand, Golden or Star.

Everything else we experienced onboard was fabulous!

Dan

Couldn't agree more. Loved her and would sail her again in a second.

Next up will be a 10 day on the Dawn or Sun

Ok, Chair hogging is a soar subject with many people. Unfortunately it is probably always going to be a problem.

Don't let it ruin a cruise for you...

We have had alot of chair hogs on the last three cruises we have been on, but luckily I like it a little more quite then it is at the main pool so I would rather find a lounger kind of out of the way.

That's just my opinion...

I JUST WANT TO RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You know we shouldn't have to remove towels and brace ourselves for a confrontation because we've removed someone belonging from a chair. This is a cruise line issued and not a problem that we as paying passengers should have to deal with. When I'm on a cruise I'm on vacation and don't want or need to deal with this type of person. Believe me I deal with them every morning and every night as I battle these idiots on the roads to get home each night. Who needs it on vacation?

Feign ignorance and tell them a deck attendant moved their stuff, not you. ;)

We were unable to get reservations at either Sabatinis or Sterling Steakhouse as they were booked solid. I was told by other passengers that they were unable to get appointments at the spa. I can't vouch for that as I didn't try to book anything.

Yikes. I want reservations at both as well as the Ultimate Balcony Dinner when we go in April. When did you try for reservations? Is it a "as soon as we get on the ship" run for reservations sort of thing? Or is there a certain time you have to wait until they start booking?

Has anyone tried to book the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and not get that? I would be disappointed if I did not get Sterlings and Sabatini's. Devastated if I don't get the Balcony Dinner. My 30th birthday is during the cruise and that is what I want that night!

I just got off the Caribbean Princess (2/19/05) as well and came away satisfied :) with my experience on board. I had not been on a 100,000+ ton ship before and was not sure what to expect. The largest I had been on previously was Enchantment of the Seas at +/-70,000 tons in 1998. I had read plenty of reviews with people complaining about crowds, smoke, etc. I went with the attitude that I was going to relax and enjoy myself and that’s exactly what I did without having to try.

We were pleased by our cabin (B612) and it was our first time with a veranda. I would recommend having one and will book one from now on. It gave my wife and I the opportunity to have some quiet time outside. I would look for a larger veranda like they had on deck 10 next time.

Deck chairs by the pool? I didn’t try and I didn’t let it bother me. We were able to get chairs by the aft pool (deck 15) but our favorite spot was up by the spa pool. We would actually lay out sometimes on the amphitheater style seating looking over the spa pool. Two pluses to this were that it was an adult only pool (as was the aft pool) and you could shelter yourself from the wind more effectively. We did in fact watch deck attendants remove items from extremely idle lounges. Their belongings were apparently being taken to Passenger Services.

The food was very good, but not overall fantastic. If you plan to dine in Sterling or Sabatini’s, go make your reservations as soon as you get on board. We did that before we even checked out our room. Reservations were being made for both Sterling and Sabatini’s at Sabatini’s until 4:00 the day you get on board. We made reservations in each restaurant for each of the formal nights. We enjoyed Sterling the most and had a couple of excellent filets. We enjoyed Sterling so much that we made last minute reservations for the last night. Don’t have reservations? Money talks. The dinner at Sabatini’s was very good although ridiculous in portions. Come prepared to eat as we were informed that all you order is your main course. They bring you everything else and I do mean EVERYTHING ELSE on the menu. You get a sampling of every appetizer, 1 soup, 3 pastas plus your main course. It can be a 15-course meal :eek: if you let it. We ate dinner at the Horizon Court/Café Caribe the first night. This was my first experience with Personal Choice dining and I would do it again because I like the flexibilty it affords you. I have no complaints about the food in Horizon Court/Café Caribe but what I discovered is that one of the things I like about being on a cruise is that I get served. I missed that and the rest of the week I ate in either of the open seating dining rooms, Sterling, or Sabatini’s. We never made reservations in the Coral or Palm dining rooms but never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a table for 2. I agree with the comment regarding the lack of rhyme or reason to the buffet lines. People come from every which way and once in the food area they go every which way. It can be very chaotic and at times frustrating as people intermittently stop to check out the fare. One of the comedians said it best in his routine when he said, “Get some food, put it on your plate, move on!” At breakfast we often were able to take our food and find a table or a couple of stools surrounding the aft pool.

We enjoyed Movies Under the Stars the one time we did it at night (“Wimbledon”). Also caught “Big” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark” during the day.

The spa was fine as it was my first experience using one. I had a massage and did the Ionthermie (inch loss and cellulite reduction) treatment. I lost 2.25”. If any of you find those inches you are welcome to keep them. I enjoyed the thermal suite which is free for the day if you have a treatment. Otherwise it is $15/day. If you have a treatment, be prepared for them to try to sell you product.

The entertainment was really the week spot for us. None of the 3 comedians were particularly funny. Santino is full of himself although his band, The Blackjax Trio, was very good. We enjoyed listening to them. We went to one show, “Let’s Rock!” and left about 15 minutes into it and decided it should be titled “Let’s Not!”. Bert (Burt) the piano player in Crooner’s was entertaining. He always drew a large and loyal crowd.

I felt the service was good and the crew was friendly. Our cabin steward, Jefferson, was very attentive. I was in fact pleased that I was not bothered by bar staff constantly hawking drinks. I was able to get what I wanted often enough without having to get up and go to the bar. I seem to recall on the Enchantment that I was ALWAYS being asked if I wanted a drink.

Embarkation and disembarkation were not an issue. Have your documents ready to help keep it smooth. We used express check-in without knowing whether we were eligible. Certainly was a shorter line.

We never felt crowded even with a full ship (3,100 passengers) except when roaming about the two main pools and the last night it seemed like everybody was out. That was a pleasant surprise. No crowding. No issues with cigarette smoke either if that sort of thing bothers you. Just stay out of Churchill’s (designated cigar bar) and away from the bar area in Club Fusion. That’s where we discovered the smoking area as we got into Club Fusion a little late for the final jackpot bingo game.

I also found Roulette Table #2 to be very generous ;) :) .

In my opinion, whether or not you enjoy your cruise is up to you. Your attitude going into it, while on board, and the expectations you set will determine the level of enjoyment. We had a nice time, relaxed and enjoyed being away from work, kids (although we love ours dearly) and everything else that controls our lives the rest of the year. We met some nice people and will go away with good memories.

So to those of you going on board in the future, enjoy and know there are at least two people who are wishing that they were where you are.

Has anyone tried to book the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and not get that? I would be disappointed if I did not get Sterlings and Sabatini's. Devastated if I don't get the Balcony Dinner.

Ultimate Balcony Dining

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...ate#post3002102

Ultimate Balcony Dining - help

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...hlight=ultimate

I wanted to see what all the hype was for The Ultimate Balcony Dinner, but I couldn't get these links to load...is there another place that might tell me what it's all about?

Thanks...

Archived