Live from an Antarctic drive-by - Veendam 6 Jan

Bescotti

Bescotti,

Your blog brought back memories of our excellent Antarctic cruise on the Veendam last year, best cruise we have taken. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and the beautiful photos of the Antarctic and South American ports.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful blog and those fantastic photos ........I will be joining the Veendam on 4th March for 14 days and also have a booking on Main Deck Oceanview mid ships. Hope they have stocked up on veggies by then!!!........enjoy the remainder of your cruise, and thanks again

I returned this week after an incredible drive-by cruise to Antarctica. The Star Princess was a day behind us most of the way and while we had great weather just about everywhere, I believe that when the Star was in the Falklands and Ushuaia the day after us they had heavy rain.

I didn't require an umbrella, long underwear, waterproof overpants, etc. anywhere from Buenos Aires down and out on deck in Antarctica I sometimes only had a t-shirt, fleece and jeans! We were incredibly lucky!

It was interesting to see all the Australian influences in South America, from John Farnham on Latin American radio, sheep descended from Aussie merinos on Peninsula Valdez and Tasmanian bred sheep plus kelpies in the Falklands. They even call their properties estancias in Argentina and Chile (stations in Spanish) after Australian sheep and cattle stations rather than ranches from the US.

A fantastic experience, and well worth adding to your bucket list!

Archived