Zuiderdam feb 19-16 review Part 1

super_grover

Hi everyone. I am procrastinating from doing school work by writing this review. I am sure to leave a zillion things out so just reply with questions or whatever.

We (mom, dad, brother aged 17, and I) flew on air canada from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale where we stayed at the airport Sheraton. Took the free shuttle from the airport which we called using the board in the bagage pick-up area. Took about 15 minutes to come and pick us up outside.

Be prepared for big crowds and lots of people and heat in the airport. Also there aren't a large number of places to eat so don't think you are going to look around and find something different.

The hotel was nice enough although very expensive.

The rest of the family (grandma, aunt, uncle and cousin) arrived that night. The next morning dad and uncle took a cab to a liquor store 2 miles away they described as "sketchy" but with a good selection. Don't know the name, sorry. The next day we took a van to the boat. My uncle had arranged for a specific person/company to come and pick us up but it turned out that the doorman at the hotel sent him away for some reason. We ended up taking another random van that cost 7$ for each person or 56$ total. Also over priced. I suggest a cab.

Security at the port was nothing at all but we had our passports out just in case.

Arrived at the boarding area around 11 and went to the table they had set up to fill out the credit card form. Only one per credit card is needed. We had filled out the forms on the web so we joined that line, although it looked like they were about the same length.

Note: print out a copy of your web forms or they will just make you full them out again :)

Have your tickets out and all your paperwork organized,passports etc. and it shouldnt take you more than 10 minutes. We were in an A catagory, cabin 1079. We were going to try to get a really good deal on an extra little inside room but the cruise was totally sold out so no go.

When you give them your papers and such they give you a boarding order number. You go through a big room, up some stairs and then are almost on the boat. There will be a boarding line. You can't get on until they call your number so figure out what number they are on when you get there. You will get kicked out of line if they aren't at your group yet. We waited about 10 minutes, had our picture taken and walked over to the boat.

Yay for part 1! More to follow.

You say that the airport hotel was really expensive. A good argument for trying Priceline the next time! A quick check at BiddingForTravel.com shows that winning bids for airport hotels range from $55to $95.

We had just come off the Zuiderdam on the 19th and were standing in front of the terminal door waiting for our bus about the time you must have arrived! Oh how sad to be leaving a cruise when another is arriving. Can't wait to read the rest of your review. Marilyn

Archived