Uniworld River Beatrice Departure Question

MsBatt

We are starting our Danube cruise in June from Passau. Our group ( 3 couples) will be spending several days in Prague before the cruise, not part of the Uniworld pre-cruise package. We will be arranging a private car transfer from Prague to the dock in Passau on June 12th. Has anyone who may have taken this trip know about the check-in procedure, particularly the time we must be there? I ask this because one option, if we can get there in the late afternoon, would be to leave Prague early in the morning, and stop for several hours in Cesky Krumlov, then drive on to Passau. If we need to be onboard mid-day or earlier then this would not be feasible. Looking for some advice here.

Have you seen the cruise companion? These can be found on the Uniworld site under Before You Go/Cruise Companions. (If this isn't your tour select yours; there is a lot more information here than in the brochure. You will get a printed copy of the brochure with your travel documents, but it has a lot of information for early planning.)

http://www.uniworld.com/Media/US-English/2011_EnchantingDanube.pdf

On page 32 it says that the ship leaves Passau mid-afternoon. I'm sure that you could get more information from Uniworld as to exact departure time.

I just got back from the exact same itinerary. When you check Nomi's suggestion, you should find that you will be overnighting in Passau, and there is nothing planned the first afternoon so don't stress about being late. The only issue is where in Passau the boat will be docked. For some reason, they are docked in a little town a few miles upriver called Lindau, a suburb of Passau. Then, around dinnertime, they move to the dock right in Passau. Several passengers who arrived early enough in the afternoon actually took a local bus that comes every hour, into town to go up to the castle or walk around. The only thing you would be missing by not arriving in the early afternoon is the buffet lunch. If you arrive too early, your room won't even be ready, and you would just sit in the lounge. So, definitely don't miss the opportunity to see Cesky-Krumlov! That being said, make sure they haven't changed anything....

Thank you all. I also e-mailed Uniworld and found that official check in is 3pm, and we are advised to get on board by 5 pm so that we do not miss dinner. I think if we make the effort to leave Prague early enough we could certainly spend several hours in Cesky Krumlov, something I would rather do than arrive in Passau in time for a buffet lunch. Now to pass on all this information to my traveling companions.

I had never done a cruise of any kind before last year. I loved it, so I'm going back.

I don't know your itinerary; you are going east from Passau, while I am sailing west from Vienna, but from everything I see you will enjoy it (unless you are looking for busy nightlife).

I hope you enjoyed Toronto.

MsBatt, the main nightlife will be the extraordinary concert you should attend in Vienna. On most nights you will be docked in a town. We had a blast walking around Linz and Durnstein, for example, after supper. You will also love Passau. After the morning tour(which is on your second day), make sure you walk along the promenade by the river down to the little park located where the 3 rivers meet. On your very first night, if you have any energy left, you can walk into Passau after dinner and have your first gluhwein at a stand at the main square or Cathedral Square. Dress warm!

Thank you Jestercourt. Sounds like a great time; I know my husband is very much interested in the Vienna evening concert (I went to one there as a college student kicking around Europe with a backpack oh these many years ago, but have never been back to Vienna). I just booked our transfer from Prague to Passau, with a stop at Cesky Krumlov - it's all getting to be very exciting.

Archived