Welcome to the Talkeetna Area

Alaskanguide

Hello Trish,

I hope you and your new husband enjoy your trip as much as I and my family did. Honeymooning in Alaska should be an super experience, if I had done that I probably would have moved out there. Thanks for the complimemts on the photos, Alaska makes all of us amatuers look good. Perhaps you noticed that I had a lot of pictures in my Talkeetna chapter of my photo album, that was because my wife and I really fell in love with that town. We had the most part of a whole day to wander and explore the town starting with a big breakfast at the RoadHouse Grill. They should put up a large bell to ring in town when the fresh cimamon rolls come out of the bakery at the Road House, everyone would come running.

Alaskanguide,

I bought that book you said to get for fishing I have a few questions for you .

I see there are a few areas around Talkeetna , Sunshine Creek, Montana Creek and Birch reek, What can you tell me from you experiance on these creeks if you have fished them ?

I have fished them all ..:D there is also Montana creek all these creeks will have salmon in them when you arrive (I think you said late July) They all are walkink distance from the roroad Montana creek is about a mile walk and so is Birch creek, Sunshine creek is behind my house and is about a 100 yard walk to the river. All these creeks are great you want to use a #3 or #4 orange mepps lure thats all you need.

Good luck

Alaskan Guide 26_22_5.gif

Alaskanguide ,

We are visiting Talkeetna again this year . We are renting a motorhome this time I think we will be able to do and see more. Do you know of any campgrounds in Talkeetna ? Or free spots that not many people know of :D

There are few in Talkeetna , One as you first come into town on the right side of the road there is another at the end of town on main st. and then there is one at the boat launch ont the other side of the R.R. , There is also Montana Creek campground before you get to the Spur road. I see you said the "F" word Free....:D there are a few, There is one at mile 102 at Sunshine Creek and there is one about 106 as soon as you cross over the Big Su bridge. Be sure to buy The Mile Post for you trip.

Alaskan Guide

vacation-time,

Yes ,I know about the "Haul road" better have some extra tires. The road is bad and the truckers own the hwy. And most rental places will not rent to you if you are driving the haul road. I would avoid that road if you are on vacation. Also alot of hunters up there that time of year.

Alaskan Guide

• 2 weeks later...

Alaskanguide,

You have given some great info. I just found this site after talking to a travel agent. I love small towns and Talkeenta looks like a fun town. I have a few questions for you if you do not mind . First I see you said there is a a few good place to eat , Out of all of them what is your favorite place ? Also my son and I will be there in June, That argo tour sounds like fun do you have anymore information on that tour is there an age limit ? My son would like to go fishing but I'm not a big fisherman is there a place he could go where I could just sit and watch ?

Thanks for now

Smalltowns

Smalltowns ,

As far as food goes I love it. So here are my pics , For lunch either Mt. High Pizza ...Thats where I'm going after I write this the flat bread is awsome...Also I love the Dancing bear on the corner by Tri-River Charters. For dinner If you do not mind paying a little money The Talkeetna Lodge . Inthe morning for breakfast The Road house..They have homemade apple butter and the scones are great.

The Argo tours age limit is 5 years old sounds like they are going to be busy they are also doing the tours for the Talkeetna Lodge.

Your son can fish in Talkeetna at the boat ramp . I use to sit there while I was waiting for my guest and catch fish off the back of the boat. There is a tackle rental place in town that can hook you up ..( No pun intented ) :D . WE had 12 inches of snow last night :eek: Is spring ever going to get here ??????????

Have fun.

Alaskan Guide

• 4 weeks later...

Alaskanguide,

I have a cousin who will be in Alaska during the same time that I am. They will be leaving Denali sometime in the morning of June 19th, heading for the train at Talkeetna. I will, of course, be driving up from Seward (to Talkeetna) on that same day. What are the chances that our paths might cross at the train station in Talkeetna? Thanks for the info. :)

Thanks for your great advice. We've been looking for some interesting things to do while in Talkeetna this September. We'll be staying 2 nights at the Roadhouse and have reserved a morning flightseeing tour. I can't find a link to reserve the Argo tour other than through Princess. Is that the only way to reserve it?

Cindy ,

I have been busy working and this is the first time I visited this site in 2 weeks great to see all the new faces up here enjoying our great state ,But the Argo tour is almost always sold out people love it, They have 5 Argos so there is plenty of seats if you have a big group. You can contact them at.

Alaska Argo Adventures

(907) 733 -4995

They are also doing the tours thru the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and are booking non tour clients.:D

Archived