Diabetic Supplies

Chesie

I carry the pens and the needles in a separate container with the ice packs inside my carry on bag along with a letter from my doctor. I always let the TSA agent know that they are in there. Sometimes they open it up and other times not. By the way, I ask the cruise line to please put a sharps container in my cabin as I don't like to carry that - it is bulky.

Every time I tell security staff at airports or put the insuline through the scanner seperately, they keep telling me they don't need to know or to put it back in the handluggage. Just do what you feel comfortable with. The only advise is to never ever check in insuline, because theoretically insuline can freeze in the baggage hold, and of course what would you do when your luggage goes missing.

I always ask the cabin steward for a sharps container. Normally it takes them a day or so to get me one, in the mean time I keep the needles in a glass or box, well visible for the staff.

I didn't think there were still international flights with baggage holds that didn't have regulated temps. I had to look into this when I took my cats overseas during overseas diplomatic postings (the last time was a bit over 10 years ago). They were too big to fly in the cabin, so were in the baggage hold. I remember airline reps telling me the only problem was with DC-10s, since the temps weren't regulated (or maybe they weren't pressurized at all, but it was still theonly large plane on which I could not take animals). I'd think a lot of items in the baggage hold could be harmed by freezing temps during flight.

You could always phone the airline to ask about checking any insulin, but if you can take it in your carry-on luggge, I guess that's best.

Tx everyone. Carry on it is with my doc's note. I purchased very small compact sharp containers at my local CVS 3 to a pack. Each is the size of say 2 insulin pens. Never thought to ask the steward for a sharps container. Tx for the info!

I didn't think there were still international flights with baggage holds that didn't have regulated temps. I had to look into this when I took my cats overseas during overseas diplomatic postings (the last time was a bit over 10 years ago). They were too big to fly in the cabin, so were in the baggage hold. I remember airline reps telling me the only problem was with DC-10s, since the temps weren't regulated (or maybe they weren't pressurized at all, but it was still theonly large plane on which I could not take animals). I'd think a lot of items in the baggage hold could be harmed by freezing temps during flight.

You could always phone the airline to ask about checking any insulin, but if you can take it in your carry-on luggge, I guess that's best.

Actually this is still the case in all baggage holds. It would be a waste of energy to heat and pressurize the luggage. That is why airlines must always be advised that there is live stock in the hold....

Actually this is still the case in all baggage holds. It would be a waste of energy to heat and pressurize the luggage. That is why airlines must always be advised that there is live stock in the hold....
Most baggage holds are pressurised. Cabin floors aren't designed to be pressure bulkheads! But temperatures are different, and special arrangements are made when there is temperature-sensitive stuff being carried.

Sometimes the TSA will spend extra time checking my little bag of needles & whatnot, but never a problem.

However, a couple of years ago I got a Poucho, to hold insulin cool w/out ice. The inner bag is soaked in water & when I went thru security they went crazy trying to figure what I had. (Even though there is a label w/ full explanation.)

Now I tell a Supervisor & it's a lot easier.

Steve

Cargo holds are pressurized but the temperature is not as regulated or uniform as above decks in the cabin.

Also luggage can encounter temperature extremes on the ground....sitting in an LD-4 container on the ramp either at ORD in winter or PHX in summer. Last thing is never, ever, check Rx meds with your luggage unless you know they can be quickly and easily replaced. I wouldn't want to have to visit a doctor or hospital overseas (or even in the US), have my MD at home work with the foreign one to get a Rx issued, then go to the pharmacy and pay full pop since most Rx plans don't cover outside the USA. (Although full pop could very well be way cheaper abroad than in the US depending on the med!)

Archived