Visa or Mastercard Travel Cards

momwith2boys

hmmm..I posted a reply but it didn't show up anywhere...strange...oh well here it is again:

A girl that cruised with us last week used one. She set aside a budget of money she was willing to spend on the cruise. She applied it to the card and left all other charge cards at home. She said it was a good way for her to stick to her budget, instead of using her regular Visa or Mastercard which would be too easy for her to overspend.

and advantages not only include for "budgeting purposes", but also the prepaid card isn't linked to your actual bank account (should it be lost or stolen). AND if it is lost/stolen, Am Ex will replace the $ of the balance left on the card (just like if you were to misplace/have stolen regular Am Ex Traveller's Checks). plus you're not paying interest, either.

How about the VISA/MC cards? Do you buy them at banks? Credit unions? I'm thinking this might be a very good option for my family. It's better than carrying cash...but doesn't allow you to overspend like a credit card. When you link them to your S&S account, do they know that's it's not a "typical" credit card?

Michelle

Thanks

:)

One thing I did notice that I didn't like, was that they charge you $15 to get your money back off the card if you don't use it all. But...if you don't plan on coming back with any then that's not an issue. :D

WOW Patti - 10 days until the Valor. I hope you have a great time. Spring Break is the best isn't it!

Thanks Cheryl! Well don't be sad that I'm going and you are staying. My cruise will be all over and you will still have the excitment of yours to come. Isn't the Conquest the greatest!

Do they have an expiration date? Why couldn't you just use them until they were gone? :confused:

I guess I could...I don't know. I guess I don't like knowing if I need my cash it's a $15 withdrawl fee...eh, whatever to whomever...everyone looks at things different. I did find this at AAA...and also, have a great time on the Valor!

Visa TravelMoney® Card

Use at any Visa merchants that accept debit cards and Visa ATMs to withdraw your travel funds when and where you need them

• Accepted at millions of locations that accept Visa debit cards and more than 870,000 Visa ATMs
  • PIN protected
  • Cardholders are entitled to:
    • AAA Global Advantage Service*
    • Visa Purchase Security*
    • Visa Emergency Assistance Service*
    • Visa Zero Liability Protection*

Fees

• The minimum card load is $250, the minimum order is $300, maximum order $1,500
  • There is an activation fee of $4.95.
  • Reloads are $250 minimum by calling (866) 339 3378 or online at http://www.aaa.com/prepaid cards.
  • A second card can be taken for a fee of $2.00
  • Card cash out fee is $15
  • Orders over $500 receive free 2-day delivery, upgrades to next-day and priority overnight are available for additional cost.
  • Orders under $500 pay $7.00 for 2-day delivery, upgrades to next-day and priority overnight are available for additional cost.
  • Card life is 24 months, an optional monthly statement can be ordered for $0.50 per month, Inquiries by phone are $0.50 each, there is a $1.25 monthly maintenance fee after 12 months of inactivity. No fee for ATM balance inquiries.
  • Online balance inquiries are free at http://www.aaa.com/prepaidcards
  • Cash advance fee (in-bank) $10, $350 limit per advance
  • ATM withdrawals in the US are subject to daily and weekly maximum amounts of $350 a day and $850 a week, maximum international withdrawal $2000 per 24 hour period.
  • ATM withdrawal fee: Domestic: $2.50 International: $2.00
  • Reload fee: Free (maximum of 3)

Visa TravelMoney® Card

Use at any Visa merchants that accept debit cards and Visa ATMs to withdraw your travel funds when and where you need them

• Accepted at millions of locations that accept Visa debit cards and more than 870,000 Visa ATMs
  • PIN protected
  • Cardholders are entitled to:
    • AAA Global Advantage Service*
    • Visa Purchase Security*
    • Visa Emergency Assistance Service*
    • Visa Zero Liability Protection*

Fees

• The minimum card load is $250, the minimum order is $300, maximum order $1,500
  • There is an activation fee of $4.95.
  • Reloads are $250 minimum by calling (866) 339 3378 or online at www.aaa.com/prepaid cards.
  • A second card can be taken for a fee of $2.00
  • Card cash out fee is $15
  • Orders over $500 receive free 2-day delivery, upgrades to next-day and priority overnight are available for additional cost.
  • Orders under $500 pay $7.00 for 2-day delivery, upgrades to next-day and priority overnight are available for additional cost.
  • Card life is 24 months, an optional monthly statement can be ordered for $0.50 per month, Inquiries by phone are $0.50 each, there is a $1.25 monthly maintenance fee after 12 months of inactivity. No fee for ATM balance inquiries.
  • Online balance inquiries are free at www.aaa.com/prepaidcards
  • Cash advance fee (in-bank) $10, $350 limit per advance
  • ATM withdrawals in the US are subject to daily and weekly maximum amounts of $350 a day and $850 a week, maximum international withdrawal $2000 per 24 hour period.
  • ATM withdrawal fee: Domestic: $2.50 International: $2.00
  • Reload fee: Free (maximum of 3)

Thanks for the info!

We have used Visa Buxx cards and they work great. They have the Visa logo and you can put money on the card and use it whereever the visa logo is..

go to their website at www.visabuxx.com

We use these for our teenagers, their allowance is put on the card weekly...

Hope this helps..

Laurie :)

OK – I found what I think is a GREAT DEAL.

Most places charge many different fees for the pre-cards cards. Our Holiday party Committee got a bunch of VISA gift cards as part of a give away – so I contacted the coordinator – because I knew we didn’t pay much for them. They got them through Simon Mall. Don’t let the name Simon Mall throw you off. That is the chain name – you could have one right up the street and not know it is a Simon Mall. If you go to their website they have a locations section - www.simon.com. If you don’t find one in your area – email them and ask. Our mall wasn’t showing – BUT – I thought we had one so I called a local one to double check and sure enough they are (Northeast Mall) .

You can order personalized ones online. If you order online there is a shipping and handling fee ($5.95 – $6.95). I called the Northeast Mall and the fee to get a NON-PERSONALIZED one is $1.25 per card. You can put any amount from $20 to $500 on it. I’m going to try and determine how much we will need at each port and get a card for each. That way there won’t be much on any one card if it gets lost or God forbid stolen. They are not rechargeable and if the purchase amount is for more then what you have on the card you HAVE TO pay the difference first and then put the remainder on the gift card – otherwise it will be declined – so you will have to keep track of the balance. You can keep track online or through an 800 number. Just make sure the cards you get are for more then you think you will use or you will have to carry extra cash – would sort of defeats the purpose. You can always finish it up when you get back home. You have up to 18 months to use the balance before they start charging a maintenance fee.

Here is a link to the FAQ’s - http://www.simon.com/giftcard/faq.aspx#01

Last year for our cruise we used an American Xpress travel card, but found out that there were so many extra charges involved. I would not do it again. And some shops in St. Martin wouldn't even accept Amx. Now when we travel its cash, credit card or bank debit card.

If this helps, I have bought the Visa cards for gifts just recently and I purchased them in the mall at customer service. No problems at all. It's a great way to give a gift certifcate because the persone receiving it is not limited to one store. My kids love them. I had not thought about buying us one for our up coming cruise but I think I will get my hubby and I each one with our spending money on it. We decide just how much we want to spend so this will work really wel. Thanks for this post.

PS/We went down to the port yesterday to see the Miracle and it's the biggest ship I have ever seen. I can't wait for June 12th get here.

I find the pre paid Visa or MasterCards are the way to go. I still can't believe I see people using travers checks....

I have used the cards on my last two vacations and it has worked out great. I ususally get a few of them ( I know there are fees ) I have one for the amount of my hotel and my car rental. We also usually take a limo to the airport and I get one for that. This way all my expenses are already pre paid. I think they are great...

Archived