Best settings for the Canon D10?

Sailgal05

Hi all. Just received my camera and have been playing with it. After reading the manual, I'm not certain which setting I want to keep it on, ie, the pixels. Right now I have it on L (large), but should it be on a medium or small, and does it impact the quality of the picture?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but this is my first digital camera and I don't want to overload my computer with a huge picture file.

Thanks

Hi Sailgal,

I love my G10, I previously had a G9 (which I dropped and broke) and before that a G6. My Husband has always shot big Canon SLR's and has lots of different lenses. We both belong to a Camera Club and compete in the same class but I have had more winners with my G10 than he has with his D40. I always leave my camera set on Large, but I only download the best photos to save computer space and I buy lots of memory cards to keep the originals on.

Thanks CruiseDirections for the info! We're taking our IPad to load the pictures from our cruise next week. I can't wait to take underwater pictures and not worry about the camera. (The last camera met a briney death-an invasion of salt water :eek:).We have a Canon Rebel which takes great pictures, but bulky. A few memory cards and extra battery will do fine I think.

Thanks CruiseDirections for the info! We're taking our IPad to load the pictures from our cruise next week. I can't wait to take underwater pictures and not worry about the camera. (The last camera met a briney death-an invasion of salt water :eek:).We have a Canon Rebel which takes great pictures, but bulky. A few memory cards and extra battery will do fine I think.

Have a great cruise, I hope you get some great photos!

Nancy

My $.02. I always go Large and Fine (for compression). Depending on your subject, this "may" give you better results and options later for cropping or enlarging. Memory cards are relatively inexpensive so buy lots of them. Fyi, on a 1/2 hour snorkel I might shoot over 100 pics. After I load them on my pc and look at them, I might immediately delete 75 of them. Then I'll start to play with adjustments, crops, dimensions, etc. I then might only end up with 5 or 10 of my favorite "keepers". Digital is fun. :)

My $.02. I always go Large and Fine (for compression). Depending on your subject, this "may" give you better results and options later for cropping or enlarging. Memory cards are relatively inexpensive so buy lots of them. Fyi, on a 1/2 hour snorkel I might shoot over 100 pics. After I load them on my pc and look at them, I might immediately delete 75 of them. Then I'll start to play with adjustments, crops, dimensions, etc. I then might only end up with 5 or 10 of my favorite "keepers". Digital is fun. :)

I totally agree.

Archived