Na Pali coast Kauai

hermajestylanie

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone is recently back from Hawaii or has gone in late March. We really really want to do the Na Pali coast cruise/snorkel when we are there on out cruise on 3/23. I have read that the water is usually rough in the winter and that either this excursion can be cancelled or you can't go in the water. We really really want to do snorkeling, and I know that the weather is hit or miss depending on the day, but what have people experienced around this time frame? Have you been able to do the excursion and snorkel in March/April? Or have the seas been too rough? Is is still worth it becasue you can see whales? Are there other beaches on Kauai that are good for snorkeling in March? I have done extensive research on the threads- people always say "this beach is good, but only in the summer." They leave out which beaches might be good in the winter. Any help?

On Kauai, any beach on the north shore is problematic in winter, and March is at or near the tail end of what passes for winter. I don't even know if the best Na Pali snorkel cruises are running in March - these are the ones that go from Hanalei on the north shore. (Yes, there are a few that take off from here rather than the south shore). I'd check google, making sure that you notice where they are docked.

I'd call a few Na Pali boat companies or email and just ask if they're running in your time frame, but remember that a Hanalei starting point is far preferable to a Port Allen.

Poipu is commonly thought of as a good 'winter' snorkel beach on Kauai. I suggest you pay attention to the weather and surf reports immediately before and during your cruise. You might luck out and get good snorkeling conditions on the north shore for primo spots like Hideaway and Tunnels. Ke'e is IMO overrated - much of the coral is dead, and although when I was there in 2009 the water was crystalline clear the fish counts were much less than a few years ago.

when I was there I took a helicopter ride the pilot was from the military, he told us how trecherous the water was there. He said weekly they had rescue tourists who tried to go in the water, even with all the warnings. he said that many of them die. Now the NaPali coast is one of the most breathtaking sites I have ever seen, but I would keep my snorkeling at Mauii.

Let me say I am no expert, just when I read your post I got alarmed for you and felt I should post. So please do not think I am just spouting off, just concerned for ya:D

We did a Catamaran tour here and it was beautiful we saw dolphins.

Well I would never go by myself... but the tours are running and can be booked with Princess or outside companies. Princess says if the weather is rough, no one goes snorkeling, but they do still have the small boat tour as well as the other companies. My research has found that most people find the water to be choppy and some have been able to go in, but ALL say to take some sea sickness pills before the boat ride!

Well good luck, I myself did all my snorkling and water sports on Mauii and it was fab, swam with sea turtles, Molikini? not sure of spelling. We also just rented snorkeling equipment, and would pull over to the side of the road randomly and just snorkel. Mauii, was made for snorkeling, everywhere we went we saw tons of beautiful fish. I have to say snorkeling here made me a snorkel snob. I was so disappointed with Cozumel...

Kuaii, is my favorite island, it is wonderfuld to just drive the whole island, the locals are wonderful. The land of rainbows! How could you not love that! No rain, No rainbows! Helicopter tours here are the best! Unbelievable hidden waterfalls, you could never see otherwise. There is a mini Grand Canyon that is fab here, caves, so many contrasting landscapes...this island made me feel I was telaported to several totally different climates/places...so magical even Puff the magic dragon. I can not wait to show my children this island, it is a special treasure.;)

Poipu is commonly thought of as a good 'winter' snorkel beach on Kauai. I suggest you pay attention to the weather and surf reports immediately before and during your cruise. You might luck out and get good snorkeling conditions on the north shore for primo spots like Hideaway and Tunnels. Ke'e is IMO overrated - much of the coral is dead, and although when I was there in 2009 the water was crystalline clear the fish counts were much less than a few years ago.

What a shame!! Do you think this is from people standing on it and touching it?

I have been trying to find a company that has a schedule that can meet mine on the Pride of America. We dock at 8:00 so I can't make the morning run, and the afternoon one runs into the time that we would like to go to the luau.

Any suggestions on a company that offers a good tour from 10 AM to 5 PM? We are going in mid April.

Thanks,

Rick

I found this when I was looking. Apparently if you call they may be willing to change the times.

"I did find one tour through Captain Andy that worked with our time frame. It leaves from Port Allen at 10 a.m. and is a 5 1/2 hour tour. Here is the link:

http://www.napali.com/kauai_rafting/...expedition.php"

Good luck!

Took his cruise Jan 2010. Weather was too rough to go up the Napali coast so went towards Lihue instead. Was disappointed that we didn't go up the Napali but I would highly recommend Cap't Andy's for the tour.

We had booked our cruise for Jan 10th and completely forgot about it (thats what happens when you book months in advance!). But when we got back to the hotel, there was a message from them asking us to call. when we did, they understood and said we could sail on the next day - no additional charge! Boat was beautiful, service was amazing and we did have a great time watching whales, dolphins, turtles and snorkeling.

Took his cruise Jan 2010. Weather was too rough to go up the Napali coast so went towards Lihue instead. Was disappointed that we didn't go up the Napali but I would highly recommend Cap't Andy's for the tour.

We had booked our cruise for Jan 10th and completely forgot about it (thats what happens when you book months in advance!). But when we got back to the hotel, there was a message from them asking us to call. when we did, they understood and said we could sail on the next day - no additional charge! Boat was beautiful, service was amazing and we did have a great time watching whales, dolphins, turtles and snorkeling.

Was the snorkeling still good? I take it the water was less rough away from the Napali coast?

Archived