Carnival cruiser considering Celebrity Constellation

DanishDonut

I have a tough decision to make and I need to make a decision by 3:00 PM EST today (Wednesday 2/9/2011).

My wife and I are in our late 30's and are considering Celebrity for our third cruise. First was on Carnival Legend, second was on Carnival Victory, we were very happy with both Carnival cruises. For our third cruise we're considering upgrading to Princess or Celebrity.

Here is our dilemma:

1) Most importantly, we prefer casual dining, this means we probably will not dine in any of the specialty restaurants or MDR during formal nights. How does the Celebrity Constellation compare to the Grand Princess buffet?

2) We like a busy itinerary and prefer fewer sea days. The Grand itinerary has one more port stop than the Constellation. Grand goes to St. Thomas which we'd like to visit again but Constellation goes to Bonaire.

3) Celebrity Constellation (Saturday to Saturday) agrees with our work schedules more than the Grand Princess (Monday to Monday) does.

4) We love to snorkel and beautiful beaches. Which itinerary offers better snorkeling? What is Bonaire like?

5) I'd really like to sail the Celebrity Constellation and it's schedule is perfect (Saturday to Saturday) but it is $600 higher than the Grand Princess. That $600 difference could easily pay for our Grand Princess gratuities and a few excursions or the majority of our PDX to FLL airfare.

Bottom line question, is the Celebrity Constellation worth a $600 (total) premium over the Grand Princess?

Are you comparing similar room types?

I'm 30 my GF is 27. We love Celebrity but that's because we do AquaClass so we get to eat at Blu etc. We really dig the Equinox ship. We like the modern design the cool clubby stuff etc. We just wish there were more people around our age.

If the $600 doesn't hurt you too bad I believe you would appreciate Celebrity. Once you hit Princess you're really starting to hit the point of diminishing returns in terms of spending money on the mass market luxury boars. It won't be a notch up like Princess is from Carnival (arguable because they're different but I'm just trying to make a point). But we believe it is a step up. since we stay in AQ.

That's why I'm asking what room types you have etc. You may actually enjoy having a balcony more on Princess or maybe you'd feel better about the airfare paid for.

Specialty restaurants on Celebrity are always casual, even on formal nights, so you are not relegated to the buffet on formal nights.

We came to Celebrity (on Constellation) after several cruises on other lines including Carnival and were instantly fans! You'll find a lot less crowding on board, better amenities and a just overall more premium feel.

We then went back on Carnival (wasn't our choice, traveling with family) and greatly missed all the niceties Celebrity provides.

1) Most importantly, we prefer casual dining, this means we probably will not dine in any of the specialty restaurants or MDR during formal nights. How does the Celebrity Constellation compare to the Grand Princess buffet? - You should find =X= offers something you like but I have not been on Princess...

2) We like a busy itinerary and prefer fewer sea days. The Grand itinerary has one more port stop than the Constellation. Grand goes to St. Thomas which we'd like to visit again but Constellation goes to Bonaire. - Bonaire is WAY better then St. Thomas for snorkeling.

3) Celebrity Constellation (Saturday to Saturday) agrees with our work schedules more than the Grand Princess (Monday to Monday) does. - Sounds like a positive for Celebrity in this case.

4) We love to snorkel and beautiful beaches. Which itinerary offers better snorkeling? What is Bonaire like? -Bonaire is one of the best snorkeling destinations in the world.

5) I'd really like to sail the Celebrity Constellation and it's schedule is perfect (Saturday to Saturday) but it is $600 higher than the Grand Princess. That $600 difference could easily pay for our Grand Princess gratuities and a few excursions or the majority of our PDX to FLL airfare. - To us, its worth every penny extra!

Archived