Is Belize as bad as the Carnival Board is making it out to be?

CTKath

so Carnival isn't stopping at Belize anymore? and the cruise we are thinking of booking on the Dream in December lists Belize as a stop so that's not correct then:confused:

Yes, they are. Some Carnival ships are stopping there. Ours did a couple weeks ago.

I just got off the phone with a Carnival rep and told him I thought the substitution of Costa Maya for Belize made the cruise a lesser value than what I paid for. I asked what Carnival was going to do regarding price adjustment. He had no information about that.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach to a price adjustment. Costa Maya is too much like Cozumel, just less of it. Belize was "different" and that diversity gave the cruise I booked valuable.

I asked what other economic issue measures Carnival was going to implement. Would I see plastic "sporks" in the main dining room? Will Porterhouse be replaced by Salisbury in the steak house?

Carnival, in my opinion, "cheapened" the cruise by deleting Belize. I would not have booked if I had known this earlier. Carnival knows they have their customers "over the barrel". We can't just walk away from previously paid for travel and accomodations without suffering a big hit to the wallet.

Let's see if Carnival "makes it right" to its customers.

Read your cruise contract. Carnvial can cancel/change the itinerary at any time for any reason.

And they don't have to do a thing to compensate you. :)

I've been to Belize two times with no real issues. However... went there last April with three of my girlfriends and had the most harrowing time. We took a tour to the ruins and had an incidence where several men with guns came onto our bus and loaded a package, then just left. To tell the entire story would take a long time, so i wont bore you with the details. But suffice to say I have never been so terrified and will never return.

Your story just doesn't sound right "scamjake" I've been to Belize several times and have always enjoyed and never felt unsafe, give the Belize operators credit for standing up to a huge corporation like Carnival your story sounds like something Carnival would create.

Belize was "different" and that diversity gave the cruise I booked valuable.

I agree with that sentiment. The problem is Carnival can't make everyone happy here because a lot of folks prefer ports that aren't "different". They like the perceived "safety" of the more Americanized ports of call, but I do get where you are coming from. Personally I love Belize and wish cruise lines would stop with the dire warnings of imminent danger should you leave the protected area inside the fence where, coincidentally, all of the shops are located that pay the cruise lines a kick back. However, you aren't going to get any compensation because, per the contract you agreed to when booking,ports can be changed at any time for any reason with no compensation due.

We've been to Belize twice and loved it both times. Would I stroll around Belize City right outside the port area? No. Would I stroll around Old Belize? Yes. We met a wonderful tour guide there on our first visit and kept his info. He customized a tour for us and our friends on our return trip and we had a blast.

Personally, I don't like either port in Jamaica because people actually pulled my arm to try to get me to go into their shops. Did I feel unsafe? Yes, a little. That is a place where I'll stay on the ship.

Would you be willing to email me your contact's info?

annajo@goldtransportation.com

Belize is for travelers not tourists. its a great place adn I love it. if your into resorty crap dont bother youll just end up spreading more bad words about a wonderful place.

Well put!

Just back from a cruise to Belize. My family of four had a great time here. We booked the cavetubing and ziplining excursion with Vitalino at 'cavetubing.bz'. We had a great time and felt safe the entire time. I loved the small country, the people and the tour. I thought it was the best stop of our trip.

I think it's a matter of perception and how well-traveled you are. We booked a tour with Ecological Tours to Goff's Caye (just go back Monday) and it was wonderful. The snorkeling wasn't the best, but the island was beautiful and everyone in our group had a great beach day. Many in our group enjoyed the free all-you-can-drink rum punch, if that's something that appeals to you.

We left by boat straight from the port and only walked around the shops near there.

It kind of looks rough, but no more than some other ports, particularly before Carnival started building all of their proprietary shopping centers. I think that's the difference...no Carnival shopping center in Belize.

I personally like the non-Carnival-owned shopping areas. I feel as though I experience more true culture. In the little area where we shopped, I never felt unsafe, but it wasn't culture-shock for me either. If you don't travel outside of the States much, then you might have another perspective.

The Belize people we met were nice. The only person who wasn't was the the white beach chair guy at Goff's Caye. I'm pretty sure he was American. :rolleyes:

-pitterpattershoppe

Belize is one of my favorite stops, but I also know it require the most planning and patience.

Our first stop we did the Carnival excursion to the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha. Our second stop here we took a water taxi to Cay Caulker and it was amazing.

I know the wait times to tender are longer here but if you have an ounce of patience you'll be fine.

We've been to Belize three times and love it. There are actually two girls I went to high school with who now live there. It's like any other city here in the United States...there are areas you wouldn't go in. Just use common sense. We've done two excursions, both private, and did not have any problems. And the 2nd one we were the ONLY people. One time we just stayed inside the port area and shopped and drank Belikin Beer.

We are going again this summer and we can't wait. Not sure what we will do yet.

Alot of ppl seem to complain about the tender, I always look at it as PART of the adventure. Yes, it can be long, bumpy and crowded, but still a fun place to 'people watch'.

Been to Belize twice. First time a few years ago, did a city tour and snorkling using a company right off the dock (but within the fence). No problems, just don't wear all your jewelry etc. Nice tour with beautiful snorkling. Then just did a bit of shopping before tendering back.

Second time was March 2010. Did the cave tubing w/private company. Again, Great time (just a bit crowded in the cave itself as it was spring break--little loud w/ all the kids). As long as we were with the tour company, I did not feel unsafe at all. I did see all the aggressive sellers outside the fenced area at the dock and same thing 'in' town when we made a quick stop. I wouldn't recommend going off 'on your own' outside of the port area, but definitely go do a tour.

We are headed back in May for another snorkling adventure :)

can u please say what is the name of the private company you used? thanks

• 8 months later...
Your story just doesn't sound right "scamjake" I've been to Belize several times and have always enjoyed and never felt unsafe, give the Belize operators credit for standing up to a huge corporation like Carnival your story sounds like something Carnival would create.

Havent been on the message boards in quite some time, and never really felt a need to follow up on this thread. However I can assure this did in fact happen. Perhaps your remarks and your need to call me names make you feel better, maybe even superior in your own mind. Perhaps my story doesnt sound "right" to you. But perhaps you werent there? It is posts like yours that make people like myself afraid to post.:confused:

Archived