Is Belize as bad as the Carnival Board is making it out to be?

CTKath

We were there in early January on Holland America - "we" being my wife, 2 young sons (7 & 5) and I. I didn't find it scary or dangerous at all. We walked out of the tourist village & down to the "water taxi" dock to catch a ferry out to Caye Caulker.

Immediately outside the tourist village, there were a bunch of vendors trying to sell things and/or get us to go on a tour with them. We'd already decided what we wanted to do, so we politely declined. After we'd gone a block or two, the pushiness of the vendors ceased. We were not sure exactly where the dock was that we were seeking, so we asked on the street & the folks we chatted with were friendly & helpful; one had his youngish son (12 or 13 y/o maybe) walk the last block with us to make sure we found it.

It is third worldish, but the people we talked to were all friendly. Sure, they wanted us to use their services for tours & such, but I didn't find them to be any more overbearing than the diamond sellers in Nassau, the timeshare sellers in other ports, or the waiters in Costa Maya.

To each his own, I guess. We liked it enough that we're considering a week or so land-based trip next vacation.

My sister hated Belize City when she was there on her first and only cruise. Not sure what she did, but she complained about how dirty and humid it was. My partner and I spent a week in San Pedro (La Isla Bonita) a couple of years later and had a great time. Partner, my brother, his girlfriend and I sailed on the NCL Dream a couple of years later and Belize City was one of our ports. We did a ship's excursion to go zip-lining and cave tubing and had a great time. I'm not sure I'd try to arrange my own excursion there, but I think you're fine on one through the ship. On a different cruise, a port in Panama had a similar restriction. It wasn't that they recommended you didn't leave the fenced area, you weren't allowed to leave the fenced area unless you were on a ship arranged excursion. Instead, we stayed on board and did the partial Panama Canal transit and shopped in the fenced area when the ship stopped to pick up the people from the excursions.

We were there in early January on Holland America - "we" being my wife, 2 young sons (7 & 5) and I. I didn't find it scary or dangerous at all. We walked out of the tourist village & down to the "water taxi" dock to catch a ferry out to Caye Caulker.

Immediately outside the tourist village, there were a bunch of vendors trying to sell things and/or get us to go on a tour with them. We'd already decided what we wanted to do, so we politely declined. After we'd gone a block or two, the pushiness of the vendors ceased. We were not sure exactly where the dock was that we were seeking, so we asked on the street & the folks we chatted with were friendly & helpful; one had his youngish son (12 or 13 y/o maybe) walk the last block with us to make sure we found it.

It is third worldish, but the people we talked to were all friendly. Sure, they wanted us to use their services for tours & such, but I didn't find them to be any more overbearing than the diamond sellers in Nassau, the timeshare sellers in other ports, or the waiters in Costa Maya.

To each his own, I guess. We liked it enough that we're considering a week or so land-based trip next vacation.

Come on down...Did a week on Caye Caulker after i found it on a cruise. A couple trips later and I have been here in San Pedro for over 2 1/2 years.

I've actually not heard that about Belize as of yet. Interesting. Wonder what would make them say this? We're taking a non-ship booked excursion in Belize City and from what I've read, it seems pretty safe. The only port I was worried about was Guatemala. Hmmmm!

If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find this non-ship booked excursion. I will be taking my first cruise in May to the Western Caribbean and looking for excursions. Any help you or others can help with this will be greatly appreciated.

My sister hated Belize City when she was there on her first and only cruise. Not sure what she did, but she complained about how dirty and humid it was. My partner and I spent a week in San Pedro (La Isla Bonita) a couple of years later and had a great time. Partner, my brother, his girlfriend and I sailed on the NCL Dream a couple of years later and Belize City was one of our ports. We did a ship's excursion to go zip-lining and cave tubing and had a great time. I'm not sure I'd try to arrange my own excursion there, but I think you're fine on one through the ship. On a different cruise, a port in Panama had a similar restriction. It wasn't that they recommended you didn't leave the fenced area, you weren't allowed to leave the fenced area unless you were on a ship arranged excursion. Instead, we stayed on board and did the partial Panama Canal transit and shopped in the fenced area when the ship stopped to pick up the people from the excursions.

the Panama Canal port is much more restricted. The Belize (inside the area) is after you tender and it is isn't nearly as dangerous or scary as Panama. In Belize, it is simply a matter of how much you want to play with your safety, but there are no real restrictions like Panama.

As for your sister, Belize isn't for everyone. I don't think it is dirtier than many of the ports but we just don't particularly care for it. As for humid, it depends on the time of the year. The place we hate the weather, but love the port is Cozumel.

Nita

We were in Belize November 08 and booked a independent cave-tubing excursion. Now for both myself and husband the area outside the gates was scary, there were the armed guards, men banging on the door of our van while we were stopped in traffic, I really didn't feel very safe. People have to remember that not everyone lives in a big city. But I do have to say that our excursion guide was outstanding! He was such a nice guy! Am I glad that we went to Belize, absolutely yes, am I in a big hurry to go back, probably not. Go on the advice that was given to book some kind of excursion to get you out of the city.

Come on down...Did a week on Caye Caulker after i found it on a cruise. A couple trips later and I have been here in San Pedro for over 2 1/2 years.

Chances are very good that we will do so - probably stay on Caulker some, Ambergris some (think that's where you are, correct?) and possibly bounce over to either Roatan or Utila for a bit. Pre-kids we traveled to the Honduran islands often (couple of times a year) & still have a lot of good friends on those islands, so we'd probably try to get over & see them since we're in the neighborhood.

I'm sure my previous travels in Honduras made it where I wasn't nearly as bothered in BC as some here have indicated. I'm also sure that part of my reason for enjoying Caulker so much is that it has the relaxed, laid back feel that Roatan had 20 years ago, when cars were scarce there & satellite TV almost nonexistent.

the Panama Canal port is much more restricted. The Belize (inside the area) is after you tender and it is isn't nearly as dangerous or scary as Panama. In Belize, it is simply a matter of how much you want to play with your safety, but there are no real restrictions like Panama.

As for your sister, Belize isn't for everyone. I don't think it is dirtier than many of the ports but we just don't particularly care for it. As for humid, it depends on the time of the year. The place we hate the weather, but love the port is Cozumel.

Nita

Nita - we talked to an armed police officer at the port area in Belize on our first visit. The area was much different than it is today. But he told us if you book and independent excursion, to get one who is licensed (and they wear their licenses around their neck like on a lanyard) because they are tested (and what I'm not sure) and insured. We had talked to a couple of guys about an excursion, and he (the cop) recommended that we not use them. He asked if we'd been approached by anyone else and we pointed out an older man. The cop said, "definitely go with him! He's a great man and won't try to pull anything over on you and you will be well taken care of." His name was/is Maurice and he was a fantastic guide - and we loved listening to him. We call/email Maurice anytime we are headed to Belize.

Nita - we talked to an armed police officer at the port area in Belize on our first visit. The area was much different than it is today. But he told us if you book and independent excursion, to get one who is licensed (and they wear their licenses around their neck like on a lanyard) because they are tested (and what I'm not sure) and insured. We had talked to a couple of guys about an excursion, and he (the cop) recommended that we not use them. He asked if we'd been approached by anyone else and we pointed out an older man. The cop said, "definitely go with him! He's a great man and won't try to pull anything over on you and you will be well taken care of." His name was/is Maurice and he was a fantastic guide - and we loved listening to him. We call/email Maurice anytime we are headed to Belize.

thanks, I am not about to do a tour that isn't either via the ship or with a reputable guide. I do think Belize is very different than Panama. Panama had a fenced area as you walked off the ship. It was like a very small enclosed mall and we were told not to leave unless we were on a ship tour. I think that is the only time we have done a port where we were really uncomfortable.

Nita

Sounds like my experience with Major Tom. If I'm headed that way, he's the guy I look for.

We were there in May, 2010 and did an independent excursion to Lamani. It was a great excursion, but due to the long ride we really didn't get to stay long at the ruins. We were running late coming back and our bus driver stopped on the side of the road to use the bathroom, we barely made in back in time for the last tender. We will be visiting Belize again this May with our son and his girlfriend, but if we get off the ship at all it will be for a Carnival sponsored excursion. I would not feel safe outside the gates unless I was on an excursion.

We have been to Belize 6 or 7 times. The first time their was no pier with shopping - the tenders pulled up to a rickety, narrow wooden walkway and we boarded an old school bus for the tour that went to Altun Ha and then the boat ride down the Wallace River. We got stranded at dusk on a sandbar at the mouth of the river an engulfed by bugs. A few years later I was shocked to step off onto a modern pier and upset to find Diamonds International there - nothing like spoiling the local culture. We have done ship's tours to Xantuninch (great ruins). Another trip we hired a private driver outside of the fence to see Belize City with no problems at all. It turns out he was a minister moonlighting to make extra $$$. We saw EVERY church in Belize city that time! Another trip we visited the local Coldwell Banker Real Estate agent and looked into buying property on one trip and then wandered the city with no problems. The real estate guy told us what areas to avoid. We will be going again in Jan 2012 and have no qualms about getting off the ship.

Just back from Belize aboard the Glory last week. Belize was one of our favorite stops, took a private excursion to Caye Caulker, it was GREAT! The epitomy of slow island living, it was like a postcard.....

My husband and I are from Brooklyn so perhaps we are used to "scary places" but we didn't find the pier area scary or dangerous as some have said on other other boards. With that being said, we didn't leave the pier area as we took a boat right from there to Caye Caulker so I can't speak to Belize City itself......and there was certainly no backlash against us as Carnival passengers. The tender operators were lovely and MUCH more efficient than those in Grand Cayman!

My 2 cents,

We went to Belize for the first time last yr. The Tender was a long ride, but no biggie, We decided to go take a tour to Altune Ha, it was a city tour too. My first impression was what a dump, it looked like a place where ou would be shot walking down the street outside the tender area, but to be fair, we were there right after Hurricane Richard.

The ruins were really neat and after we got back i decided to walk around a bit. I walked around outside of the port area, bought a few things, and had a "mix it yourself" rum in the coconut. I did have my own entourage after i was done. We would much rather go back, and we are in Oct, to Belize, than go back to Jamaica, two times there was more than enough.

Just back from Belize aboard the Glory last week. Belize was one of our favorite stops, took a private excursion to Caye Caulker, it was GREAT! The epitomy of slow island living, it was like a postcard.....

My husband and I are from Brooklyn so perhaps we are used to "scary places" but we didn't find the pier area scary or dangerous as some have said on other other boards. With that being said, we didn't leave the pier area as we took a boat right from there to Caye Caulker so I can't speak to Belize City itself......and there was certainly no backlash against us as Carnival passengers. The tender operators were lovely and MUCH more efficient than those in Grand Cayman!

I didn't mean to imply that the locals would treat Carnival passengers differently, as I would not think that to be the case. I was more wondering if there might be a "perception" of danger that doesn't exist, since some of Carnival's early releases apparently implied that they were not stopping at Belize due to safety issues.

I just got off the phone with a Carnival rep and told him I thought the substitution of Costa Maya for Belize made the cruise a lesser value than what I paid for. I asked what Carnival was going to do regarding price adjustment. He had no information about that.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach to a price adjustment. Costa Maya is too much like Cozumel, just less of it. Belize was "different" and that diversity gave the cruise I booked valuable.

I asked what other economic issue measures Carnival was going to implement. Would I see plastic "sporks" in the main dining room? Will Porterhouse be replaced by Salisbury in the steak house?

Carnival, in my opinion, "cheapened" the cruise by deleting Belize. I would not have booked if I had known this earlier. Carnival knows they have their customers "over the barrel". We can't just walk away from previously paid for travel and accomodations without suffering a big hit to the wallet.

Let's see if Carnival "makes it right" to its customers.

I have recently booked a cruise on the Star and Belize is one of the ports. It's actually one of the reasons that I booked this particular cruise. I happen to read something on the Carnival boards on how dangerous it is and how people are staying on the ship on Belize day.

Does anyone have any opinions, insight and/or suggestions on what to do in port?

Thank you.

I never pay attention to alarmists. Here are some things I've done in Belize:

Belize: Belize Dec 2008 Cave Tubing

Belize Nov 16, 2006 Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5 Page6

Sep 7, 2006 - Belize Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5 Page6

Dec 27, 2005 - Belize Pharmacy@BelizeTouristVillage

Belize Nov 16, 2005 (Snorkel and Bannister Island)

I wouldn't hesitate to go back and hope to in the next year or so.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got off the phone with a Carnival rep and told him I thought the substitution of Costa Maya for Belize made the cruise a lesser value than what I paid for. I asked what Carnival was going to do regarding price adjustment. He had no information about that.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach to a price adjustment. Costa Maya is too much like Cozumel, just less of it. Belize was "different" and that diversity gave the cruise I booked valuable.

ANy luck with Carnival?

I'm not pleased about the Costa Maya stop instead of Belize either. To me is just another Mexico stop. Belize was somewhere exotic to visit and I chose my cruise specifically for Belize! Live and learn!

I asked what other economic issue measures Carnival was going to implement. Would I see plastic "sporks" in the main dining room? Will Porterhouse be replaced by Salisbury in the steak house?

Carnival, in my opinion, "cheapened" the cruise by deleting Belize. I would not have booked if I had known this earlier. Carnival knows they have their customers "over the barrel". We can't just walk away from previously paid for travel and accomodations without suffering a big hit to the wallet.

Let's see if Carnival "makes it right" to its customers.

so Carnival isn't stopping at Belize anymore? and the cruise we are thinking of booking on the Dream in December lists Belize as a stop so that's not correct then:confused:

thanks, I am not about to do a tour that isn't either via the ship or with a reputable guide. I do think Belize is very different than Panama. Panama had a fenced area as you walked off the ship. It was like a very small enclosed mall and we were told not to leave unless we were on a ship tour. I think that is the only time we have done a port where we were really uncomfortable.

Nita

Belize City is the same. We were advised not to leave the secure port area unless we were on an excursion. Even so, you still have lots of tour operators/vendors yelling at you to take a tour, buy their stuff, etc inside the secure area.

It was one place I couldn't get out of fast enough. :)

Since the ships have to dock 5 miles off shore, the tender ride is a good 20-25 mins. We were just there a couple weeks ago.

Archived