Is Belize as bad as the Carnival Board is making it out to be?

CTKath

I have recently booked a cruise on the Star and Belize is one of the ports. It's actually one of the reasons that I booked this particular cruise. I happen to read something on the Carnival boards on how dangerous it is and how people are staying on the ship on Belize day.

Does anyone have any opinions, insight and/or suggestions on what to do in port?

Thank you.

We've been there twice actually. One time we just walked around the port a bit and the other time we took our two daughters Cave Tubing. That was very fun for everyone, but a long, bumpy bus ride to get there. Not sure I would do it again for that reason. Just use your common sense, stay where there are other people and don't wear jewlery. You'll be fine. Everyone should see it once!

I have recently booked a cruise on the Star and Belize is one of the ports. It's actually one of the reasons that I booked this particular cruise. I happen to read something on the Carnival boards on how dangerous it is and how people are staying on the ship on Belize day.

Does anyone have any opinions, insight and/or suggestions on what to do in port?

Thank you.

I've actually not heard that about Belize as of yet. Interesting. Wonder what would make them say this? We're taking a non-ship booked excursion in Belize City and from what I've read, it seems pretty safe. The only port I was worried about was Guatemala. Hmmmm!

They're just mad because of the tender charges. The reason Carnival is not stopping at Belize is due to the tender companies wanting $2 more per seat... I have heard some people say the port is not safe. I heard the same thing about Ocho Rios a few years back prior to my cruise and had absolutely no safety issues. You have to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are in the world.

We LOVED Belize! Yes , the tender ride is a bit long and can be rough, but we had a great time on a private cave-tubing excursion there! Actually we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise for that stop in Belize a year and a half ago. Felt quite safe! You better BE-LIZE IT!!:D

Has something new happened? We were there in 07 and were told not to leave the fenced, guarded area where the port was. We went on a ship's excursion and had a great time with the very nice Belize folks who ran the excursion and provided lunch (and lots of rum punch).

We LOVE Belize. Our first time there we did a private cave tubing excursion and it was tremendous fun. The second time we did the ship excursion up the river to Lamanai Mayan ruins. What an experience. Would I wander around Belize City? No. I felt perfectly safe on those two excursions and look forward to our next stop in Belize.

We have not been back to Belize (we were there 3 times) we have no desire to go back to Belize but Bannister Island is a nice excursion if it is offered. My opinion is that Belize is in the top 5 of the most dangerous crusie stops in the Caribbean. Again just my opinion. We tendered from the ship straight to Bannister Island the last 2 times we were there.

We were in Belize in August 2009. Not sure it's changed since then but I think you have to differentiate the country from the city. The tender lands at a pier located in a fenced-in area that contains 15-20 shops and a bar (the Wet Lizard). We were advised not to walk outside this area but some folks did. At one point, there was a man who was somewhat aggressively begging through the fence and a few others standing behind asking us if we wanted a taxi but that was it. We took a private guided tour that went by boat up the river out of Belize City. From our limited view of the boat, the city looked pretty run-down and with a lot of men just hanging out. That's not to say they were dangerous...just that I don't think I'd have been comfortable walking around that part of the city. Once out of the city, however, it's a different story. We stopped a couple of places along the way and didn't feel unsafe at either place. The people were very nice. I think you have to be careful and respectful of the reality of the local culture and realize that to many of these folks anyone from a cruiseship must be rich...and relatively speaking, I suppose that's the case compared to what some folks have. Anyway, we really enjoyed our day in Belize. Just be smart, safe and respectful.

When I went to Belize we didn't book a tour and it was a big mistake. You cannot leave the are where the tenders drop you off on your own (well you can but you probably wouldn't make it too far before turning back) There were locals climbing the fence yelling trying to sell you stuff and get you to take one of their tours. It didn't seem safe so we just ate at one of the restaurants in the gated area and went back to the ship. I'd recommend booking an excursion if you want to see anything.

Alot of ppl seem to complain about the tender, I always look at it as PART of the adventure. Yes, it can be long, bumpy and crowded, but still a fun place to 'people watch'.

Been to Belize twice. First time a few years ago, did a city tour and snorkling using a company right off the dock (but within the fence). No problems, just don't wear all your jewelry etc. Nice tour with beautiful snorkling. Then just did a bit of shopping before tendering back.

Second time was March 2010. Did the cave tubing w/private company. Again, Great time (just a bit crowded in the cave itself as it was spring break--little loud w/ all the kids). As long as we were with the tour company, I did not feel unsafe at all. I did see all the aggressive sellers outside the fenced area at the dock and same thing 'in' town when we made a quick stop. I wouldn't recommend going off 'on your own' outside of the port area, but definitely go do a tour.

We are headed back in May for another snorkling adventure :)

Thank you.

absolutely not. WOuld I wander around, off the beaten track alone or with just one or two others? No, but I wouldn't in any big city in America either most likely. It isn't the safest port there is, but as long as you stay with a group or do not wander more than a block off the main shopping area I wouldn't worry. We are not huge fans of Belize so we may stay on the ship, but if there was a tour we wanted to do, we would.

Nita

Has something new happened? We were there in 07 and were told not to leave the fenced, guarded area where the port was. We went on a ship's excursion and had a great time with the very nice Belize folks who ran the excursion and provided lunch (and lots of rum punch).

In October 2010 we got our best bargains at the little shopping market set up on the street right behind the official tourist area! LOTS of ship folks were shopping there and we got good buys on some carved wooden "action" snakes for our grandsons, hot sauce and a some other local items. Never felt unsafe, but we were within mere feet of the door to the tourist area.

I spent a week in Belize and Guatamala a few years ago. I loved it! Book a cave tubing trip with the boat and you'll be safe. I wouldn't wander around the port with nothing to do, because you will be harrassed, but people are just trying to make (or beg for) a buck. It's no worse than any other island down there. The people are poor, they need your money, and they are going to try to get you to buy whatever they have. Stick with your guide and you'll have a great day.

In October 2010 we got our best bargains at the little shopping market set up on the street right behind the official tourist area! LOTS of ship folks were shopping there and we got good buys on some carved wooden "action" snakes for our grandsons, hot sauce and a some other local items. Never felt unsafe, but we were within mere feet of the door to the tourist area.

that is exactly what I think, stay around that area. We did the same a few years ago and were just fine.

Nita

Thank you.

This is the issue with Belize...it isn't a safety issue at all.

(Carnival doesn't pull out of a port for safety reason, only financial ones.)

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18798

We have stopped in Belize about 4x...got off the ship the first 2 times. (The past two times we just stayed on the ship)

First time did the cave-tubing with Yonni (excellent)

2nd time went to the ruins (FABULOUS)

Between the very long tender AND the long bus and/or boat rides to get to any excursion, we came close on those 2 occasions to not getting back to the ship on time. Anything worth seeing in Belize is quite a distance from the port.

Having said that I do think it's worth seeing but just make sure you give yourself PLENTY of wiggle room to get back to the ship.

Independent operators are aware of the time and go a very decent job but you never know what unforseen things can come up.

Don't worry...belize is wonderful :)

We liked Belize so much the three times we were there with cruise ships that we went back for a week last year. We never felt it was dangerous. But, then, we live 10 miles from East St. Louis, one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. We know when it is safe to do what.

PS - We are booked on a cruise stopping in Belize this fall.

Thank you.

Belize is fine if you take an excursion. It is one place where I would probably go with a ship's excursion. We did an excellent one through NCL to Lamanai. There are other excellent excursions in Belize.

The immediate port area is fine.

Would I wonder around Belize City on my own - probably not.

From the above posted story: "We have signaled out that the price point that they have set which is US$5 per passenger manifested is economically unviable for our tender service providers. Yes we understand the need for cost cuts all around and I believe that our operators have been honorable and have tried to as much as possible to bring their prices down to the required price point of US$5 fee per passenger manifested, in the end we know that that price point is economically unviable."

So now Carnival is following the Wal-Mart strategy for strong-arming its suppliers by setting the price at which they should produce merchandise. :mad:

We've been to Belize twice and loved it both times. Would I stroll around Belize City right outside the port area? No. Would I stroll around Old Belize? Yes. We met a wonderful tour guide there on our first visit and kept his info. He customized a tour for us and our friends on our return trip and we had a blast.

Personally, I don't like either port in Jamaica because people actually pulled my arm to try to get me to go into their shops. Did I feel unsafe? Yes, a little. That is a place where I'll stay on the ship.

We just returned from a 7 day cruise. Belize was one of our stops. We went on a ship tour to the Mayan ruins. We thought it was a beautiful island and would like to return there some day for a weeks vacation. The people we interacted with were very friendly. Tender ride in took about 15 minutes and was very pleasant.

We were just in Belize in January. Had a great private guide who took us to the zoo and around. We have snorkled on previous trips. The tender is a tender. Ships cannot get in close so you are looking at about a 10 minute ride. It's a pain but hardly a reason not to visit a great port.

I've been to Belize twice. The first time in 2005 we did the Lamanai excursion and it was great.

The second time in January 2010, we were conserving money a little, so we took a trolley tour around town and got acquainted with the place. After we got dropped off back at the compound we took a stroll to see some of the area closer. Everyone was friendly with us and we found a food cart a block away from the visitor area and bought plates of curried chicken, pork and lamb. That was some of the best food we had on the entire trip! There is no growth when living in fear. I hope you enjoy Belize.

We went to Belize and Honduras on the Pearl in 2009. I did not "love" Belize, and could not imagine spending a week there. However, we liked what we saw in one day - we did the Mayan/river cruise which was fun, but an all day excursion. I am a history junkie, so the main reason to go for me was the ruins. We saw some of the coutryside, etc. some monkies and birds on the river and it was OK. It was also humid and hot even in April - and I know hot and humid, I live in the south;) I am glad that I saw Belize, but one of the reasons we like to cruise is to "try out" a destination. Belize was a nice day stop. I much prefer the Eastern Caribbean.

We were just in Belize in January. Had a great private guide who took us to the zoo and around. We have snorkled on previous trips. The tender is a tender. Ships cannot get in close so you are looking at about a 10 minute ride. It's a pain but hardly a reason not to visit a great port.

Hockey,

did you set up the tour guide ahead of time? Our daughter would like to take our great granddaughter to the zoo and don't know if there is a company they should use.

Nita

Archived