Just about finished with picking excursions for Alaska but.....

loulani

My husband and I have just about finalized our excursions for Alaska except for Sitka. Which is your favorite excursion? We were thinking about the "Russian American, Raptor Center & Russian Dancers" tour. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Also, my husband loves to fish. He has narrowed down the "Ketchikan Sportfishing Expedition" 4 1/2 hrs. or "A Day in the Wilderness Fishing" 6 1/2 hrs. These are out of Ketchikan. Anyone done either of these?

Thanks for any suggestions or any other excursions we simply cannot miss.

For my two cruises in the past to Alaska, I have chosen Sitka as my "get off the ship and walk around town" place. We were tendered both times. There is a little totem walk in a park, you get off the ship and head to the right, the town is on the other side to the left from the tender dock. Just keep going and you will get there after a walk along the road and there are signs explaining the totems once you get there. It really is a pretty park, with a small building with exhibits, etc. before you start the walk Then we came back into town and window shopped. There is a lot of shopping here for the Russian boxes, eggs, etc. that when I was there were also offered on the ship. Those boxes and eggs have extreme variables in price, according to the professionalism of the artist, both on shore and on the ship. Your choice whether to buy a really "good" art piece, or just a souvenier.

We took the tender in to Sitka and walked around. The St. Michaels church was off limits to tourists because it was a Sunday for our cruise. The Russian Dancers were on first thing and if you didn't get your tickets for the show from the Shore Excurision desk, you'd have missed part of the show because hte dancers were on early - about the time of the first tenders.

We, too, used Sitka as a "walk around" shopping expedition. We loved the church and its little gift shop and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful decorated eggs and other crafts throughout the town. It was the only port that we tendered in, and the only port where it was actually damp and chilly, so we enjoyed stopping in a pub after walking through the town, including a several parks.

We went to the Raptor center but instead of taking the ship excursion, we ventured out on our own. It was very easy to get to. There is a little shuttle that does a loop trip that is actually quite enjoyable. It goes around the town, letting you get on / off as much as you want to see the sights. One of the stops is the raptor center. It is the best deal in town (I think we paid $1.50 for the day? for the shuttle). I wish someone had told us about this as we were very pleased and it was easy.

The raptor center is very interesting and really well done. I think it was a $5 donation. They start with a movie and then you walk around the grounds where they have a number of raptors that have been hit by cars, electrocuted, etc. and they are nursed back to health. Apparently, they have some deal with Alaska airlines that flies in hurt raptors from around the US to their center. They also have an indoor area which is a "natural habitat" for them to nursed back to health. This tour was a real treat.

Afterwards, the shuttle bus comes by again and you are on your way back to town.

While I usually do the tours via RSSC, this one is so simple (and so inexpensive and easy) that you should try it yourself. It will still leave plenty of time to window shop but as was said, you may miss the dancers.

Macbest,

I really appreciate this info; have not seen it before. I think it will suit us best to go at our own pace and the Raptor Center will be #1 priority. Thanks so much!

While everybody else in my group took the tour in Sitka, I decided it was time to get away from the group, took the tender into town, and walked - all by myself. I wlaked to St Michaels, then walked from there to the Raptor Center, which I loved, and back to the boat. The only thing I missed from the $45 tour was the Russian Dancers, but I saw the pictures and have no regrets. It was a beautiful day, a lovely town - especially off the beaten path, and total cost was less than $10.

David

Archived