Vimeo download

Chesneygirl

Hi...I plan on making my first ever cruise video for our upcoming cruise in July.

I would like to be able to download it to Vimeo. Its going to be in HD.

The website says 500 mb but I am not sure how many minutes that gives me.

Has anyone had experience with this website?

Thanks for any help! :)

500 MB of HD video isn't much, particularly if it's 1080 resolution.

4 gigabyte is about 20 minutes of 1920x1080 video ("true HD"). You are talking approximately 1/8th of that space, so approximately 2 1/2 minutes of full HD video.

Not sure what 720 resolution would use, but the file size will be smaller at lower resolution, so more video would fit.

These numbers are based on using a camera that does AVCHD, which is actually compressed. HD Video creates really big files!

Edit: I just looked at the file size of my video from Oasis of the Seas. It is shot at 1920x1080, 60i resolution. It is 38 minutes of video, and the file size is 4.39 gigabytes. That averages at about 116 MB per minute. Hows that for some number crunching!:eek::D

500 MB of HD video isn't much, particularly if it's 1080 resolution.

4 gigabyte is about 20 minutes of 1920x1080 video ("true HD"). You are talking approximately 1/8th of that space, so approximately 2 1/2 minutes of full HD video.

Not sure what 720 resolution would use, but the file size will be smaller at lower resolution, so more video would fit.

These numbers are based on using a camera that does AVCHD, which is actually compressed. HD Video creates really big files!

Edit: I just looked at the file size of my video from Oasis of the Seas. It is shot at 1920x1080, 60i resolution. It is 38 minutes of video, and the file size is 4.39 gigabytes. That averages at about 116 MB per minute. Hows that for some number crunching!:eek::D

Thanks for all that info!

My movie would be filmed at 1080/720 resolution on my Canon SX30 camera.

I was hoping to get at least 10 minutes of downloading. I will just have to try and see what happens.

Another question for you or anyone...

Does it really make a difference which class of memory card I get?

Would a Sandisk class 6 be ok or is that over the top for what I am doing?

Thanks again for any help! :)

I have used Vimeo several times. 500MB is not very much. Maybe 10 minutes. Similar to youtube. Good part is that they do not block audio music from certain record companies. You can pay a little more for Vimeo and get much larger file uploads. I think it is $10 a month for the improved version.

As for the memory cards, the class really determines the write speed. Some of Canon's cameras will not handle more than a class 6. I got a class 10 card and my video camera will not work with it. Typically for HD video you will need a class 4 or higher card. Keep in mind that a 16GB card will get you about an hour of full HD video.

Tim

Archived