How does the Princess transfer from Anchorage to Whittier work?

jody

We are flying into Anchorage the day before our cruise and will be spending the night in Anchorage, but I'm not exactly sure how the transfer works the next day when we embark on the Island Princess. I see we can check in at the Convention Center as early as 9 a.m. and drop off our luggage and the shuttles begin around 1 pm. Are the shuttles assigned based on the time you checked in that morning or are they first come, first served at 1 pm? We are planning to wander around downtown Anchorage after we drop off our luggage and have lunch, I'm just not sure how quickly we should return to the Convention Center.

Princess also notes that shuttles will depart from the airport as needed. Our hotel will be between the airport and downtown. Are we better off heading to the airport or the Convention Center to catch a shuttle? We aren't taking a day tour out of Whittier, but we would like to get to the ship at a decent time, so we have plenty of time to wander around and get oriented before the masses board.

I've read tons of reviews of Alaskan cruises, but I can't find a whole lot of info about the Whittier transfer process, for those who used the Princess transfers.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

There are many places to eat in the area of the Egan Convention Center. You won't lack choices and a nice walk will be enjoyable just to have a look at Anchorage.

If you go to the airport to catch a Princess bus, you won't have lunch choices and won't see much of Anchorage.

We are doing the same thing as the OP. We are staying at the Captain Cook hotel. Will we have to walk to the Egan Center or will there be a

shuttle etc from the hotel? Our ship doesn't sail until 8:30pm so not sure

what time we will be able to board etc. Curious as to what the time frames are so we know what we can do that day in Anchorage. (if anything) Will keep watching this thread.

Thanks!!

We are doing the same thing as the OP. We are staying at the Captain Cook hotel. Will we have to walk to the Egan Center or will there be a

shuttle etc from the hotel? Our ship doesn't sail until 8:30pm so not sure

what time we will be able to board etc. Curious as to what the time frames are so we know what we can do that day in Anchorage. (if anything) Will keep watching this thread.

Thanks!!

Did you book this independent??? Call the hotel directly and inquire. It is, otherwise a short cab ride away.

We are also flying into Anchorage (although 2 nights before) and going on Princess out of Whittier but haven't decided between using their bus transfer or the Alaska RR train that leaves at 10am and arrives in Whittier at 12:30pm. Is general consensus that the bus transfer is more convenient because of flexible schedule? Does anyone know if the RR is more "scenic"? Thanks!

We are also flying into Anchorage (although 2 nights before) and going on Princess out of Whittier but haven't decided between using their bus transfer or the Alaska RR train that leaves at 10am and arrives in Whittier at 12:30pm. Is general consensus that the bus transfer is more convenient because of flexible schedule? Does anyone know if the RR is more "scenic"? Thanks!

The train follows the road, so scenery is not different.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived