Shopping in Cozumel?

rex00111

My DW wonders what kind of shops there are going to be when we have our day in Cozumel? She likes pottery, trinquets, etc. We have purchased high end watches, designer bags etc when in the islands before....are there any deals like that there? Or is it mostly just over priced touristy crap?

LOL. Always the touristy crap, but that being said, you can get some good deals on jewelry, especially silver. I always buy vanilla there because you can get the pure vanilla which makes a huge difference in cooking.

There's some of everything you mentioned on Cozumel, although you can find better deals on the cheap stuff in other places. Coz is great for silver jewelry, but you've got to do some work to get to the "real" price. DW always leaves the island with something shiny.

Grab a cab and head in the main shopping strip. (it on the shopping map you'll get on the ship) I really like Los Cinco Soles

http://www.loscincosoles.com/mainwelcome.htm

The Vanilla is the best I've found and the quality of their items is good to very good. And in behind is Poncho's Backyard great place for lunch and a Margarita!

As others have said you can find just about anything in Cozumel!

There was a store inside the port shopping area, that had hand painted mirraccas for $1 USD each. All of the other stores wanted $5 USD for them so keep your eyes open for a diplay at the entrance of the stores. Each one was a different color and painted uniquely different. We bought 5 of them. There is also a little kiosk right down from the store that had hand carved and hand painted flutes for $2 each. We bought a few and they gave them to us for $1 each. They made really unique gifts for the grandkids and we also kept a few to decorate our home office.

My DW wonders what kind of shops there are going to be when we have our day in Cozumel? She likes pottery, trinquets, etc. We have purchased high end watches, designer bags etc when in the islands before....are there any deals like that there? Or is it mostly just over priced touristy crap?

Lots and lots of touristy crap. You have to know your silver to find and recognize good stuff. Do a little Googling for Mexico silver marks. I prefer silver work from Taxco. A lot of the chess sets they sell are really crap and made from stone chips and glue. Found some nice hand painted large martini glasses in one shop. There are a lot of nice shops away from the large Senor Frog's mall.

The only jewelery I would by in Mexico is silver, and I have more than enough of that now, but if you do like silver jewelery then you could find some decent deals in Cozumel, but be prepared to bargain. Even if you dont like to bargain, ( like me ) you will be ripped off if you dont.

What I do like to buy in Mexico is pottery, ceramics etc, as I love the colors of blue/yellow/terra cotta etc, again be prepared to bargain. If you are like me and bargaining/dealing makes you feel uncomfortable then go to Los Cincos Soles as others have suggested. You will probably pay a couple of bucks more than if you had bargained elsewhere, but you dont have the hassle and you still have a nice souvenir, whether that be jewelery, t shirt, ceramics etc.

Hope you like Cozumel, it is one of my, if not my favorite western Caribbean port of call.:)

Start at Los Cinco Soles, enjoy browsing the store, check their quality and prices, then head out of the store, turn left out the front door and left again and walk a couple of blocks behind the store to Plaza del Sol and shop in the blocks around that area. Lots of decent stuff at decent prices (but do haggle, that's half the fun, and you can't do that at Los Cinco Soles). And the Plaza is a nice place to kick back and enjoy some people watching. Several decent restaurants in the area, as well. (Oh, and if you eat at Casa Blanca and they ask for your name, they're going to write it on a pre-printed coaster-like thing and ask you for $5 each.)

Grab a cab and head in the main shopping strip. (it on the shopping map you'll get on the ship) I really like Los Cinco Soles

http://www.loscincosoles.com/mainwelcome.htm

The Vanilla is the best I've found and the quality of their items is good to very good. And in behind is Poncho's Backyard great place for lunch and a Margarita!

As others have said you can find just about anything in Cozumel!

I wish you hadn't mentioned Poncho's. Now I'm really hungry. And thirsty. ;)

We also like to try some of the little out-of-the-way shops. I like to look for different stuff..sometimes something odd will just jump out at me. And I like to haggle...to me its fun, and usually good natured. My wife is not too wild about it, but likes to watch me. She used to think I was an expert..untill our last time in Cozumel. I usually like to buy a Mayan figure or statue to put in my collection, and I found a very unique one in this one little backstreet shop. I just had to have it, and told my wife to watch as I worked this fellow over. He started out at $55...special price just for me, of course. I wrangled him down to $15...and that was as far as he was gonna go. I was bound and determined to get a lower price...he was bound and determined to not go lower. It was actually fun. Finally...he gave in and sold it for $8...he made a big show of looking dissapointed and all, but volunteered to wrap it up nice for me..so it wouldnt break. When we returned to the ship...with me feeling like Trader Vic...I took it out of the wrapper to see my prize...and guess what...somewhere...somehow...he had switched it with one with an ear missing!!! It still is a cool statue, and I proudly put it in my showcase...missing ear and all. I can imagine him laughing at me as we walked away!! I actually thought it was all quite funny...to me , he was just doing his job as he saw it...and I'd trade with him again!:)

I take week long dive trips to Cozumel each year and on one trip a couple of years ago I noticed that the lady divemaster was wearing some nice silver rings and what not so I asked her where she bought it figuring as a local she would know where to shop. The place she buys her stuff is called Sergio's and now my spouse buys silver there on every trip both for herself and as gifts for her sisters. I also have a few tie bars myself. So would highly recommend them. Its a small shop just east of the Town Square. near the church. Sorry cant remember the address!

Tom

It's all there....pottery, trinkets, etc., as well as, the high end shops.

Be sure and check out Los Cinco Soles. It's located at the end of the main shopping street. All kinds of neat stuff there, plus, Pancho's Backyard restaurant.

Enjoy!

It's all there....pottery' date=' trinkets, etc., as well as, the high end shops.

Be sure and check out Los Cinco Soles. It's located at the end of the main shopping street. All kinds of neat stuff there, plus, Pancho's Backyard restaurant.

Enjoy![/quote']

GREAT Minds think alike! :D I posted the same places, and I'm hungry for lunch at Poncho's but....have to wait until October! ;)

Archived