Kids club fancy dress.

Jo and Rob

So does all this mayhem take place on a sea day? Do some people take materials back to their cabin?

We will see it as a bit of a laugh, and yes the children will definitely want to help in the proceedings, it is for the kids club after all! Good advice about the sellotape, although I may then be accused of hogging the tape even though we brought our own. :eek:

I didn't see anyone taking materials to the cabin, but no reason you couldn't if you had the fixings for it. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. The experience is supposed to be fun after all! I floated the idea of not doing the fancy dress competition to my children this year and they seemed to agree so we'll see if they are still of that opinion later this year.

• 5 months later...

Hi re fancy dress, is it always pirates? I have no intention of making a costume on our holiday... the kids will not be surprised. We do have stacks of dressing up clothes here, so I would like to get the kids to take a ready made fancy dress with them (it wont matter if they dont win) so that they can enter the competition, without me fighting for crepe paper or sellotape.

Do they vary it, and if so can I find out what we will have on N122, Ventura 20 Aug, or am I safe with pirates for all? And is it just the kids, or adults also?

Many thanks

Usually there is a tropical themed night which is a casual night which runs the same day as the pirate theme. Basically so kids can dress as pirates instead of tropical gear. The fancy dress may be a different day altogether and is usually for the kids only but I think they’d still welcome you if you wanted to go on with the kids dressed up as well!!:p They can dress up as what-ever they like! Doesn’t need to be anything even remotely recognisable – it’s just for fun after all.

Being only 21 and having experienced the fancy dress saga myself over a decade ago I can say that sometimes the novelty of making your own costume wears off quite fast. Especially if it’s complicated. But that’s just me. Also trust me when I say that the parents’ competitiveness is noticed, much to children’s bewilderment, and can bring the whole experience down a notch or two.

I think someone suggested earlier about maybe taking part of a costume and making the rest. You’ll get the best of both this way.

For example if you do decide to go for a pirate costume….take a pair of ripped jeans/roll them up and a striped t-shirt with you then on the day you can make a waistcoat, swords, hat, eye patch and sometimes they’ll also do face paint in the kids club too. The little things wont take as long to make and are much easier to do. Plus if you run out of time you still have a basic staple for the costume.

Having a bit of a plan in your head before you go is a good idea. Saves on stress!

:D

I have no intention of making anything, its jut a recipe for stress. I guess if I get the kids to choose a pirate outfit and a fancy dress outfit (you would not believe how much fancy dress stuff we have in our house) then they are sorted.

Is there a way of finding out what the schedule is for the trip, N122 Ventura 20 Aug? I looked on the P&O webiste and trawled about here but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks all!

Archived