Venice - Croatia....Croatian Kuna

Philandher

We are cruising the Croatian Coast from Venice on 30th July 2011 and wondered if it is worth taking Croatian Kuna or whether most shops, restaurants, etc. accepted Euros. Any assistance would be appreciated.

If anybody is joining us on the cruise don't forget to register on the roll-call and for the Meet and Mingle.

BCd :confused:

We had stops at Dubrovnik and Split in Sept and used one of the ATM's that were everywhere to get about $50 of Kunas for snacks and beer:D We had no luck with debit cards but the ATM's worked with Credit Cards - just make sure they have a 4 digit PIN. We have a "chip" Visa and I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think there is a problem with US$ but not sure about what rate they use to convert. We usually play it safe and use local currency. You will absolutely love Croatia:D

I have cruised and land tripped throughout Croatia, spending a couple of weeks there in total

Last time I was in Dubrovnik and Split was on land vacation. Dubrovnik was a base, so we stayed 7 nights. Every day we were in Old Town..if not just for a meal but sightseeeing all day for a couple of days.

It was April and May and we had quite a few cruise ships in and out

Several times in both Dubrovnik and Split I heard shop keepers saying..sorry we only take Kunas. So, there is a chance they wont take USD and Euros

If they do, you will be charged an unfavorable exchange rate because now they have to take it to a bank and covert your money to Kunas which involves a fee to do so.

Kunas are the only LEGAL TENDER in Croatia.

Also, many of the museums and the entrance to walk the wall only took Kunas

Obviously, this is all subject to change by whoever you might be interacting with, but since ATM's are plentiful I would just pick up some Kunas.

Calculate how much the museums cost, some souvenirs and lunch and that should give you an idea.

If you would like to view our Sights to See lists, Rick Steves videod for Croatia (and Montenegro) .you can find them in the link below to our online travel journal, the photos section will give some ideas of traditional souvenirs you can purchase.

http://ourpassportstamps.com/CroatiaBosniaMontenegro.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Croatia_Photos1.html

We had no problems using the euro even at small cafes. We visited Dubrovnik in mid 2010 on the Quest. Of course, our experience was limited to just the one day we were in port so I've got no idea what your experience will be if you go off the beaten path.

Ron

We are cruising the Croatian Coast from Venice on 30th July 2011 and wondered if it is worth taking Croatian Kuna or whether most shops, restaurants, etc. accepted Euros. Any assistance would be appreciated.

If anybody is joining us on the cruise don't forget to register on the roll-call and for the Meet and Mingle.

BCd :confused:

Been there and its all Kuna's all the time unless you want to pay a really high exchange rate at the shops. Also, check out no fee international credit cards for the atm or shops

it worked

bon voyage

Archived