Baltimore - parking at G and M Restaurant

vtwgalmm

We were sailing out of Baltimore on 2/14/11 and had heard so much about the crabcakes at G and M Restaurant that we made resvertations for 20 of us to have dinner their on the 13th. The food didn't dissappoint. We had a variety of things, including crabcakes, and everything was delicious. The kicker was - G and M has a very small parking lot. Our handicapped car and one other car found a spot. The other two cars parked across the street. I will be honest and tell you that there was no parking signs around but it was Sunday afternoon and all of the businesses in one of the buildings were closed. We didn't think the dentist office would open at 6:00 on Sunday so we wouldn't be hurting anyone's business. We walked across the street and saw a sign on the door of G and M to not park across the street or you would be towed. Our men turned around and ran back across the street but the tow truck was already there hooking one of our cars up. They had a spotter that called as soon as we stepped off of the curb. They charged us $150 to unhook the car that they had already hooked up. They told us that had they towed the car that it would have been $450 to get it back. That would have been $900 for both cars. We suggested to the people at the G and M Restaurant that they pur something on their web site as all of us had been on it reading the menu and if we had known it was just a trap we would have never parked there in the first place. I'm not sure they liked the idea. Anyway, I'm posting this in the hopes that it might keep those voulchers from getting your money.

I live in the area of G&M and since they improved their property, they are busier than ever. Cars often park along Nursery Road in order to dine there. I think it's ridiculous that there would be a predatory towing company hanging around trying to catch people. I know there are signs on the properties, but wow.....I will definitely remember that if I run to G&M for a cheesesteak!

Just for anyone considering crabcakes, have a vehicle and don't want to run into this situation, I have several recommendations for you. The crabcakes are just as good (and personally I would say BETTER) than G&M. Our personal favorite is Giannis in Arbutus. They are at the Washington Blvd exit on 695....just a few miles from Linthicum. They have awesome food and were doing so well with their crabcakes that they opened an entire seafood restaurant on the other side of the the Italian restaurant called Giannis Angry Mallet...their website is http://www.giannisitalianbistro.com/

The next suggestion would be Pappas in Glen Burnie. Very large area for parking and last minute shopping surrounds the area if there is something that you need pre-cruise. http://pappascrabcakes.com/restaurant/SportBar.htm

The Olive Grove is right up the street from G&M. They are on Hammonds Ferry Road about 2 blocks away from G&M and have almost identical crabcakes. It's rumored that they are family members (G&M and Olive Grove). Parking here can also be an issue though, I must warn you.

http://www.olivegroverestaurant.com/

Romanos on Ritchie Hwy is also very good. Large parking area.

http://www.romanosdining.com/

A place that is a little more dress up (business casual works) but is also a favorite place of mine is Sunset Restaurant in Glen Burnie. Their crabcakes are more what I consider actual *Maryland style*, put together with the traditional bread, egg and spices, not a meringue mixture like G&M, Romanos or Olive Grove. They have wonderful food....reservations are advised for weekends. The cream of crab soup is to DIE FOR...be sure to ask for the sherry to add to it right at your table. Never had a meal there we didn't like!

http://www.sunsetrestaurant.com/

I supplied the websites so that if you wish, you can get the addresses and Google the maps. I just had a horrible crabcake from G&M and one of the reasons was I could taste the cod filler again. Crabcakes are suppose to be from *crab* not *fish and crab*.

Sorry for your experience vtwgalmm.:( It really makes me as a native not even want to get my cheesesteak subs there! :mad: In all seriousness, G&M is NOT the only show in town!

That same thing happened to fellow cruisers on our cruise on the Pride in October. They paid those big bucks! Yikes it was almost as much as it cost for one of them to cruise. I don't know how G&M couldn't know that this is happening

They do know that it is happening. They had a sign on their door not to park across the street because you would be towed. As soon as we got to the door and saw the sign we ran not walked back across the street but the tow trucks were already there. Having the sign on the door is to late. There was a "lady" (I'm not sure that's the right name for her) across the street and she called as soon as we stepped off of the curb. Really was upsetting. We had looked and the businesses were closed, it was Sunday afternoon so we figured that the denist office was not going to open and need the parking places. We saw the signs in the parking lot but didn't realize that it was a trap. Oh well.

Thanks for the list of the other places to go. If we ever decide to go back to Baltimore we'll try some of the suggestions. I'd love to go to the acquarium I've heard it's great. At least with the suggestions of other places to eat and the warning not to park across the street will help others not to have the same experience that we had. Thanks for the posts.

You can also get the "same" crab cake at Hella's on Veterans Highway ot Timbuktu on Coca-cola Drive. I think all three restaurants are owned by the same people. AT the very least the crab cakes are the same.

You can also get the "same" crab cake at Hella's on Veterans Highway ot Timbuktu on Coca-cola Drive. I think all three restaurants are owned by the same people. AT the very least the crab cakes are the same.

That's another place people could go :) Not sure about them all of them being related.....it's probably more because that it's the Greek interpretation of a crabcake. A pub called Shannon's makes them the same way. He was the owner of Zeus's Restaurant in Fells Point before they closed.

Sunset's are traditional Maryland crabcakes and Giannis is a close second....they use bread, egg and spices to bind their cakes. There are a few others, but these are the ones in the area that would be easy access for those who bring vehicles with them to the port.

Archived