Capetown berth

shipsmail

We were just on the Wind for the 2/20 to 3/2 CPT RT Cruise.

The previous posters are correct; she docked at the Victoria Basin within a few feet of rear entrance to the Table Bay Hotel.

Since we stayed there pre and post-cruise, it could not have been more convenient! When we checked in, the hotel porter brought our luggage to the pier. Upon disembarkation, the local porter brought our luggage from the dock to the hotel. The easiest check-in / -out ever!

But to re-answer your original question, yes it's on the V&A waterfront. Dougburns, I'm not sure that a big ship would necessarily displace the Wind, as a ship that's much bigger probably wouldn't fit at that pier. On embarkation day there was a second similarly sized ship (MV Explorer) on the other side of our pier. I think bigger ships have to use the industrial piers which are less convenient.

When I say a big ship I'm talking about something in the 50K ton range(Seven Seas Voyager). I don't even think about the big crowd killers of the mass market; wouldn't go near one!

Gotcha.

We're not fans of those behomoths either... They can go dock somewhere else! :D

Hi JP and Chris

We looked all over Capetown for you after we disembarked but no sightings. We did Robben Island tour too and Table mountain etc. Just got home and readjusting. A wonderful cruise and a great pre at Ivory Lodge. I was just looking at your pictures and they are wonderful.

Thank you so much for posting them (remember our lost camera aaargh!) and it brought back those wonderful memories.

Carl, from Sweden, on our safari drives, stopped by yesterday for breakfast and shared his pictures on his laptop. Remember, he had that huge 800 mm lens?

I am so ready to go back! It was wonderful.

Deanna

p.s. I think you two should be the next 'Silver Sea Dance Instructors'!

LOVE the pix. They bring back many good memories. Will be there again next winter. Thanx.

Hi JP and Chris

We looked all over Capetown for you after we disembarked but no sightings. We did Robben Island tour too and Table mountain etc. Just got home and readjusting. A wonderful cruise and a great pre at Ivory Lodge. I was just looking at your pictures and they are wonderful.

Thank you so much for posting them (remember our lost camera aaargh!) and it brought back those wonderful memories.

Carl, from Sweden, on our safari drives, stopped by yesterday for breakfast and shared his pictures on his laptop. Remember, he had that huge 800 mm lens?

I am so ready to go back! It was wonderful.

Deanna

p.s. I think you two should be the next 'Silver Sea Dance Instructors'!

Thanks duct tape and Deanna for your compliments on our pictures. We had such a great time taking them, and we're glad to share!

Deanna, so sorry to hear that you have not found the camera - :( - we were SO hoping it would turn up. Your experience scared us so much that we downloaded our pictures 2-3 times per day instead of just once a day like we usually do!

Cape Town was certainly lovely and even 3 days wasn't nearly enough to accomplish all that we wanted. After disembarkation we were "in town" for only that day - we did the HOHO bus. The next 2 days we were out and about driving a rental car on the wrong side of the road! It was actually pretty easy and with the GPS telling us where to go, we never had a problem.

Glad to hear you're safely home and adjusting. We're back to work accumulating more vacation days to use on future SS cruises... Unfortunately, we have not had time to do any dancing since we got home, but we'll be back at the studio on Monday. It was lovely to meet you and Tom, and we'll hopefully run into you again on a future SS cruise.

And YES, we'd love to get a gig as dance instructors! Colin kept saying he had a contract ready for us, but he never came through...:p

Archived