Question about trip interruption insurance

Hi, We are planning a cruise around New Zealand, 12 nights with most ports in the first week. If for some strange reason our air flights get so delayed as we have to join the ship several days into the cruise. What does most travel insurance cover? We will be going into Auckland a day early but stuff still happens.

since I have not booked my insurance yet is there a particular item or wording to look for to cover this type of event? I guess one of my major concerns is that this cruise is really about the ports being visited and if we were to miss several of them then the cruise value is greatly deminished.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, We are planning a cruise around New Zealand, 12 nights with most ports in the first week. If for some strange reason our air flights get so delayed as we have to join the ship several days into the cruise. What does most travel insurance cover? We will be going into Auckland a day early but stuff still happens.

since I have not booked my insurance yet is there a particular item or wording to look for to cover this type of event? I guess one of my major concerns is that this cruise is really about the ports being visited and if we were to miss several of them then the cruise value is greatly deminished.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

With some plans this would be a trip interruption, with others a trip delay, and others have a specific "missed connection" benefit designed for this. Here's from Travelex's Missed Connection coverage:

"MISSED CONNECTION

This benefit covers missed Cruise departures that result from cancellation or delay (for three (3) or more hours) of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or any Common Carrier caused delay. Maximum benefits of up to the amount shown in the Confirmation of Coverage are provided to cover additional transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Cruise, reasonable accommodation and meal expenses and nonrefundable trip payments for the unused portion of Your Cruise. Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier. Coverage will not be provided to individuals who are able to meet their scheduled departure but cancel their Cruise due to Inclement Weather." the benefit amount is $750 p/p for the Select plan and $1000 for the Max plan..

Assuming that the airline will still get you to NZ I'm not sure if $750/$1000 will get you to the next post of call plus reimburse you for the unused days of the cruise. A higher benefit amount would be nice. I think TravelSafe is much better because they have similar coverage but have a $2500 per person benefit amount:

"Missed Connection : If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot.

These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

With some plans this would be a trip interruption, with others a trip delay, and others have a specific "missed connection" benefit designed for this. Here's from Travelex's Missed Connection coverage:

"MISSED CONNECTION

This benefit covers missed Cruise departures that result from cancellation or delay (for three (3) or more hours) of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or any Common Carrier caused delay. Maximum benefits of up to the amount shown in the Confirmation of Coverage are provided to cover additional transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Cruise, reasonable accommodation and meal expenses and nonrefundable trip payments for the unused portion of Your Cruise. Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier. Coverage will not be provided to individuals who are able to meet their scheduled departure but cancel their Cruise due to Inclement Weather." the benefit amount is $750 p/p for the Select plan and $1000 for the Max plan..

Assuming that the airline will still get you to NZ I'm not sure if $750/$1000 will get you to the next post of call plus reimburse you for the unused days of the cruise. A higher benefit amount would be nice. I think TravelSafe is much better because they have similar coverage but have a $2500 per person benefit amount:

"Missed Connection : If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot.

These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy.

ADB and I were on a cruise when he needed emergency medical treatment. Some onboard the ship the rest in a Portugal Hospital. ADB only has the VA as his medical source. We bought Princess's Platinum Benefits Insurance Policy, (Berkely Care). To file a claim, Berkely Care wants you to submit your bills to your insurance first, then they pay the balance. VA does not take submissions since they are just a medical center not an insurance. Berkely insists bills must be submitted and hasn't paid any of the $609. claimed. This coverage is a scam for anyone without existing coverage to submit to. There is nothing in the description to warn you of the details to make a claim. I would hope their trip cancellation and other features are collectable when needed.

There is nothing in the description to warn you of the details to make a claim.

Sure there is. They've got good lawyers to draw these things up.

If you truly have no actual medical insurance then submit a notarized statement to that effect. I did this for a claim I had with CSA and there was absolutely no problem -- I don't believe I even had my statement notarized.

If they still balk contact your state Department of Insurance and file a dispute. A letter from a Dept. of Insurance is a wonderful thing -- they go right to the person at the insurer that makes these problems go away.

Archived