WiFi access via Blackberry

DaveOKC

A friend just gave me his old (like new) Blackberry and set it up so that it can access WiFi only, no 3G, so that I can use it on vacations, without paying for a data plan. I have not quite figured out how to use it yet, but will work on it over the next week or so.

Is this something new or have others done this? If so, will it work on-board the ship or just from WiFi hotspots in the ports?

Will I be able to pick up WiFi from the ship to sites on shore when in port?
Sometimes. It depends on where you sail. I've had much better luck picking up free signals from shore in Europe than in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. (I don't think I even tried to find a signal on our last AK cruise.) Sometimes when you find a signal it's too weak, and keeps dropping when you try to do anything.

Look up your ports HERE to see where you might find a free signal. Good luck!

I think that a blackberry will not work for data without a blackberry Internet or blackberry express server plan (BIS or BES) but am not 100 percent on this. Blackberries normally work by going through blackberry servers

Ray - I had the data blocked on my phone from AT&T. That way I can still get WIFI access but not pay for 3G. Of course this only works for WIFI hotspots. I tried it in my home and it works great. Much easier than lugging around the old laptop.

DaveOKC

Archived