No Bashing Please, Just Trying to Gather Information

The Quinceañera groups don't get around the rules. The book 1-2 chaperones (over 21) for every 8-10 girls and book cabins all in a row. They have a cabin of girls on each side of the chaperone's cabin. That is allowed by RC policies. For example:

Cabin w/ 3-4 girls

Cabin w/ 1-2 chaperones + 0-2 girls

Cabin w/ 3-4 girls

Cabin w/ 3-4 girls

Cabin w/ 1-2 chaperones + 0-2 girls

Cabin w/ 3-4 girls

I would guess that is how scouts, band members, etc. also set it up to minimize the number of required chaperones.

I doubt a French teacher would take a class on a cruise. Most Med cruises make 1-2 stops in France then stops in Spain, Italy, etc. That defeats the purpose of a FRENCH trip. I don't know of any major cruiseline that offers only French stops.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

:D

Here on the coast many high school senior trips are cruises - so it is not that difficult to arrange, as others suggested they would use a travel agency that specializes in student groups.

But I have to agree with the ones who brings the light of adult wisdom and reality to the discussion (:() that if the purpose is to immerse in French and the French culture - you're not going to get it on a cruise ship.

I have to agree with the rest, if you are going with your french teacher, he is going to want to take you somewhere frenchy. I would guess this would be a new experience to the students if he only does it every couple of years, unless you were taking french for 3 or more years.

However, that said, if you still want to try for it, and you seem like a smart and mature kid, call some of the different cruise lines or a TA and see if they know of anyway around that for groups. Nothing better than the horse's mouth, then you can know for sure and present your case to your teacher with facts. And if you have a large group, they will be interested to help if they think they might get your business. Just tell them you are helping your teacher research the options.

Bon chance!

I went to Europe on a high school trip when I was 17. We were actually in Paris one week before their bicentennial celebration (if you want to try to figure out how old I am) A cruise is a lot more expensive than a land-based student tour. A LOT more.

We spent time in hostels, not hotels.

The AMAZING French bread we ate was NOT part of the included meals.

Sure, we would go to a bakery and get wonderful bread, but when it came to dinner with the group, we could've saved the bread from dinner, and broke into a few cars with the rolls, they were so hard. If you threw some of those dinner rolls at someone, you'd get charged with felony aggravated assault!

But it was the late 80s.

The one bus we had, was advertised to have "air-conditioning". "Air conditioning" meant that when you would open the windows, and air would come in! I would recommend the fun memories on a land-based student tour. Alcohol is easier to acquire on those types of tours... err... for the adults. ONLY for the adults.

I'm pretty sure I know where you teach! Small world! :eek: I'm all for a trip to France, sounds like a great time to me. Just thought this would provide a different experience.

If a Med cruise is interesting to you, maybe your family could go on the school sponsored trip with you and then EXTEND the trip with a family only cruise. Depending on finances and vacation schedules that may be able to give you the best of both worlds.

I spent a long weekend in France when I studied abroad one summer (awesome experience, I highly recommend it) during college. Because of the short time we had to see France we only went to Paris. Paris has so much to offer that I can imagine that you could spend weeks there without seeing it all.

To really experience a place it is best to do a land vacation, so I recommend you stay with the land tour with your school. :) Cruises are great, but you only scratch the surface of what a city/country have to offer, and I feel this is especially true of European/Med cruises.

Have fun!

I am sure you French teacher will be bombarded with good advice so come to France/Europe in early summer as here in the UK we have both the Queens diamond Jubilee and the Summer Olympics going on in London2012 so air fares through the UK will be sky high and probably hard to book.

Hope the trip is every thing you want and you become a Francophile.

Another option that you might want to propose would be a River Cruise in France. There are a number of options.

River cruise barges don't offer all the features of cruise ships, but on the plus side your "hotel" moves with you every night and if you get a big enough group you charter out a whole barge;

Prices vary widely, so a lot of research will be needed.

I was 16 when I took a trip to France, and I had a Wonderful time. (I went by myself and spent the time with a family near Paris.)

good luck -

Aloha,

John

ps: - bus man - "W.C" (water closet) is pronounced doo-bla veh say - i.e; "double v, c"; Veh - say = Viet Cong :-)

There has to be a way to do this, because I've seen Quinceañera groups on a cruise before. They obviously have cabins with children less than 21 in them. Does anyone know how we to get around this? I feel like this would be the biggest obstacle.
I was on one of these cruises last summer. It was funny: While we were in the terminal, I said to my girls, "Look, see that bride carrying her wedding dress?" And we talked about weddings on board. Then we saw another bride . . . and another . . . and another . . . until we realized that an improbable number of brides were boarding with us, and they were all VERY young. Then we saw that they all had tee-shirts from the same travel agency, and they were advertising Quinceanera cruises. Ah! Now we understand . . .

But they were traveling with LOTS of family. Not only the Quince-girl and her parents, but also grandparents, aunts and uncles, and many siblings. I understand this ceremony is big on FAMILY.

On formal night we saw all the girls (without parents) waiting to be brought into the dining room in a big procession, which looked really fun. And we saw them getting formal pictures made. It was fun seeing them all together.

Will, I teach not far from you, and I can guarantee you that your French teacher is NOT going to take you on a cruise "instead of going to France".

His objectives are to get you immersed in FRENCH culture and FRENCH language. He is only going to lead a trip to a French speaking country. He may include another country, but he is only going to do a land trip for this kind of travel.

I was going to say this same thing.

[quote name='Dizney']1. How could we get around the minor policy? There has to be a way to do this, because I've seen Quinceañera groups on a cruise before. They obviously have cabins with children less than 21 in them. Does anyone know how we to get around this? I feel like this would be the biggest obstacle.

Can't get around it. Must be at least 21. You can see for yourself here:
[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000TEVsL7e5VztaayXbo56zZKR:12hdhuaq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq[/url]

[B][COLOR=Red]Q: [/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Red]What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Red][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Red]A: [/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Red] No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.
Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.required).
[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Our teenage children have cruised with us for several years in a room of their own. The only stipulation is that their room is next to ours (not even adjoining). With enough chaperones, this could be done!

Archived