Queen Mary-laundry and Alcohol

nyc511

Hello. I will sailing on the Queen Mary translantic on the tail-end of a longer holiday and luggage could be a problem. Are there self-service laundry facilities onboard, and if not, do they run any laundry "specials" like other lines sometimes do?

In regard to alcohol, what is Cunard's policy? Do they allow anything to be brought onboard for consumption, either in your stateroom or in public. Holland America allows wine for your cabin but charges a corking fee if consumed in the dining room. NCL charges a fee for consumption anywhere. Some allow a limited amount of champagne, etc. Does anybody have a run down on typical beer/wine/alcohol prices?

Much thanks.

Hello. I will sailing on the Queen Mary translantic on the tail-end of a longer holiday and luggage could be a problem. Are there self-service laundry facilities onboard, and if not, do they run any laundry "specials" like other lines sometimes do?

In regard to alcohol, what is Cunard's policy? Do they allow anything to be brought onboard for consumption, either in your stateroom or in public. Holland America allows wine for your cabin but charges a corking fee if consumed in the dining room. NCL charges a fee for consumption anywhere. Some allow a limited amount of champagne, etc. Does anybody have a run down on typical beer/wine/alcohol prices?

Much thanks.

Yes there are laundrettes and laundry done by the ship is quite reasonable, they also do a bag of laundry deal sometimes but the savings on that are fairly minimal.

Provided you are reasonable in what you take on, it is ok. I suggest that you search the threads for Cunard bar prices. There is a 15% service charge on served drinks.

Hi nyc511. For my QM2 voyage last November, I "squashed" quite a bit of my clothes into my suitcase (the only way to fit everything) and had them drycleaned when I boarded the ship. I thought the rates were quite reasonable compared to NY prices, and they did an excellent job. I also had some laundry done when they ran a special towards the end of the cruise and was very pleased with the service. Hubby used the launderettes, but he made it a point to be there as soon as they opened to avoid the rush. You must be there when the washer or dryer stops since your clothes will be removed if others are waiting for a machine. BTW, pre-measured laundry detergent is provided. I bring cold water wash to launder my "smalls" in the cabin sink. There is a clothes line in the shower.

Official policy is that each adult passenger is allowed to board with one bottle of wine. If consumed in the DR, a $15 corkage fee applies. The shop on board sells cork screws, or you can pack your own.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Both self service laundry, serviced laundry and dry cleaning are great on board. Use them all each time we sail although do take my own detergent tablets - just because I prefer them. The dry cleaning is way cheaper than in the UK high street and just as good. I get my evg dresses done after I've worn them during the voyage so they come home good as new.

In terms of booze - we took a couple of bottles of champers on board to have in our cabin. Although the drinks are normal prices with service added, I dont see the point of taking your own on board and then paying corkage to drink it in the dining room. DO pack your booze in your carry on - don't try and 'hide it' in your main luggage and then get it broken and your clothes ruined. The most you can get away with is two-three bottles each.

The good news about the self-serve launderettes on the QM2 is that the use of the washers, dryers, and detergent is FREE. We have also used the dry cleaning services and have found them to be excellent. If your clothes are clean but wrinkled when you unpack, you can send them to be pressed. That is also very reasonable.

The key to the quantity of drink is moderation, I have taken a case of Champagne on board several times and always check it with my luggage in it's own labelled case. It normally arrives in the cabin before the luggage. I always drink it in the cabin and sometimes offer my wife a glass. Remember to take your own bottle seal as the supply on board is patchy.

Twice on shore leaves on my recent voyage, I brought a bottle of rum back onboard in my shore bag that went through the xray machine. Once I also had a 6 pack of Coke. Nothing was said either time and all of it was consumed in my room.

I also found drink prices around the ship to be reasonable compared to what I find locally at nice bars. I certainly had no problem with their prices, but then I'm not a big drinker (at least on a tab). One does me fine.

Twice on shore leaves on my recent voyage, I brought a bottle of rum back onboard in my shore bag that went through the xray machine. Once I also had a 6 pack of Coke. Nothing was said either time and all of it was consumed in my room.

I also found drink prices around the ship to be reasonable compared to what I find locally at nice bars. I certainly had no problem with their prices, but then I'm not a big drinker (at least on a tab). One does me fine.

You're not a big drinker, yet you drink two bottles of rum on one cruise?

Wow. Your poor liver - assuming that these are standard bottles.

WD

Perhaps that is precisely what fuels the legendary laundrette fights

Capn, I am laughing so hard! You took the words right out of my mouth.

When I was on the QE2 world cruise, I often felt that a stiff drink might have made my forays into the dreaded world of laundry-land more tolerable.

Bobby

Capn, I am laughing so hard! You took the words right out of my mouth.

When I was on the QE2 world cruise, I often felt that a stiff drink might have made my forays into the dreaded world of laundry-land more tolerable.

Bobby

[laughing]

No worries, it's all good clean fun.

Never been to the launderettes myself...I suspect I've been missing something :)

[laughing]

No worries, it's all good clean fun.

Never been to the launderettes myself...I suspect I've been missing something :)

I think that the on board laundrettes are where all the good rumours start on board, 15 passengers dead, 3 families off loaded, QM2 only doing TAs one way and the like. People need to occupy their time whilst waiting for the machines to finish. I just thought how strange that is; we are waiting for the labour saving devices to complete their labour saving, so who is actually in charge - them or us?:eek:

I think that the on board laundrettes are where all the good rumours start on board, 15 passengers dead, 3 families off loaded, QM2 only doing TAs one way and the like. People need to occupy their time whilst waiting for the machines to finish. I just thought how strange that is; we are waiting for the labour saving devices to complete their labour saving, so who is actually in charge - them or us?:eek:

It's us. We go back to our cabins and watch our time very carefully because we know that if we wait too long, someone will take our clothes out and throw them on the floor. On the other hand, I'd wait around to hear about how Cunard is only going to do "one way crossings". :D

It's us. We go back to our cabins and watch our time very carefully because we know that if we wait too long, someone will take our clothes out and throw them on the floor. On the other hand, I'd wait around to hear about how Cunard is only going to do "one way crossings". :D

Good morning to you both. You are up late/early. Hope you are keeping well.

Archived