POA skipping Kona

Kapuna

To GypRasc:

DH and I are not that interested in snorkelling but we am interested in the Lava Tubes and sea caves. If we did the afternoon excursion with sea quest, do you think we could wander around the bay rather than snorkel? Or do we have to stay on/near the boat?

To Kris: Maybe we can combine on this and then we'd have 6!

To GypRasc:

DH and I are not that interested in snorkelling but we am interested in the Lava Tubes and sea caves. If we did the afternoon excursion with sea quest, do you think we could wander around the bay rather than snorkel? Or do we have to stay on/near the boat?

To Kris: Maybe we can combine on this and then we'd have 6!

To be honest the snorkeling was the best part of the trip. I had imagined that we would be driving our little raft/boat into sea caves/tubes but in reality all we did was go into little inlets and look at the caves/tubes from the outside. It was neat to see but not sure it would make that great of an excursion. If you do still think this is what you would like to do I would call SeaQuest & ask if they could do this portion of the trip for you without doing the snorkeling or maybe just going to the reef area so you can see the Captain Cook monument. If you don't want to get wet I'm not sure if they could get you to the shore without getting wet as the reef is pretty high at some points & I'm not sure how close they can get their boats to the monument area. Then continue on for the sea caves/tubes. The raft ride was fun in & of itself so I would contact SeaQuest & see if they can build an excursion around your wants/needs.

Funmama - When I booked for our group of 6 I emailed asking them how close to the dock their office was located. I was trying to determine if we needed to take a cab or if we could manage with the Keauhou Trolley. They wrote back & volunteered to pick our group up at the pier but they did stress we could not have more than 6 for them to do this. Their smallest boat holds 6 passengers so they reserved this one for us. When we were waiting at the pier there were several Captain Zodiak boats waiting to pick up passengers & they were bigger than the 6 passenger boats. Not sure if Captain Zodiak might have arrangements made that permits them to pick passengers up at the pier (possibly the ship uses them for their excursions ??) & why SeaQuest wasn't able to use their bigger boats to pick folks up at the pier but they did stress we could only be picked up if we kept our group to 6.

Thanks for your reply. It gives me something to think about. I'm quite happy to swim around a bit but DH wears contact lenses and prefers not to be fully submerged. Being Aussies, we are interested in the Captain Cook memorial too. So the snorkelling was the main part of the excursion? Do you remember roughly how long you were snorkelling? Thanks again for your help!

I'd better go read your review now. :-)

Thanks for your reply. It gives me something to think about. I'm quite happy to swim around a bit but DH wears contact lenses and prefers not to be fully submerged. Being Aussies, we are interested in the Captain Cook memorial too. So the snorkelling was the main part of the excursion? Do you remember roughly how long you were snorkelling? Thanks again for your help!

I'd better go read your review now. :-)

To me the snorkeling was the best part because the reef was SOOOOO awesome. I've never seen a reef this beautiful but then I haven't done a lot of snorkeling in the past (I do expect this to change). It was also quite amazing being able to see how deep the water just drops off from the reef. It's really deep & blue. Absolutely beautiful. I used a cheap underwater camera and am waiting for the film to be developed. I sure hope I got some good photos though.

If I had to guess I would say we snorkeled for probably 45 min-1 hr. When we were looking at the sea caves/lava tubes we also saw wild parrots and some dolphins.

Perhaps someone offers just a boat tour of the area and not a snorkeling trip? Check over on the Kona board on Trip Advisor. Perhaps someone there could help you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out.

Archived