Black Watch

Shaka198

We are thinking of doing our next cruise next winter on the Black Watch. having just returned from the Balmoral this winter, which was good, appreciate any comments on the Black Watch? We are fairly active in what we do. Friends on the Balmoral said it was smaller but still a good ship to cruise on?

I have travelled on all Fred. Olsen's cruise ships and have enjoyed them all. However, if forced to decide I would be hard pressed to decide which is my favourite. It would be a close run thing between the "Black Watch" and the "Balmoral". Both have the same Fred. Olsen ethos. They are friendly and welcoming. Obviously the "Black Watch" is smaller but it is a comfortable, reasonably spacious vessel. A few years ago I did the 72 night cruise around South America and didn't want to get off when we returned to the UK! One thing I like on this ship is the cinema. It is good to be able to see the odd film when at sea. Also it can be used for "minority" activities eg church services, talks, passenger dramas without interruptions which can occur in the Neptune lounge. On the downside, it simply hasn't got the space of the "Balmoral", the choices for dining or the alternative show lounge.

I am sure you would love the "Black Watch" but just enjoy it for what it is a lovely, traditional ship. :)

I echo everything Parsman says about the Black Watch. The cabins are slightly smaller than those on the Balmoral but not so much that you would notice. It's also got the same type of Observation Lounge at the top of the ship. The cinema is a lovely bonus and we've seen the DaVinci Code, Mama Mia and The Other Boleyn Girl. It's a shame the other F.O ships don't have one. Black Watch is my wife's favourite ship but Balmoral is mine, particularly for longer cruises.

I am also hard pushed to choose between the Black Watch and the Balmoral. The Black Watch has the air of an authentic ship and I remember thinking as much when we first sailed on her some 11 years ago. It has plenty of deck space which I think make it ideal for cruising in warmer climes; if one deck is a bit busy, just go up to the next level. It is of course rather smaller but that is part of the appeal.

The Balmoral is larger, the Neptune Lounge is better and there are more dining options. I especially like the Spey & Avon dining rooms. It is another fine vessel.

My wife prefers the Balmoral, but I still have a fond regard for the Black Watch. I'd be more than happy to cruise on either again, but instead next month we shall be on the Braemar for the first tme so more opportunities for comparison:)

You won't be disappointed with the Braemar which is midway between the two ships under discussion. It's even better since it was stretched in 2008.

Not so sure about the Braemar being ‘midway between the two’.

Back Watch - 28,500 Gross Tonnage

Balmoral - 43,500 Gross Tonnage

Braemar - 24,500 Gross Tonnage

The anomaly was created when the "Braemar" was stretched. Since then it has carried more passengers (930) than the "Black Watch" (804) although it is a smaller ship. If you look at the passenger/space ratio the "Black Watch" is 35.5 and the "Braemar" 25.9 ie the "Black Watch" is more spacious. I haven't been on the "Braemar" since it was enlarged so I cannot comment if this is noticeable to passengers.

next month we shall be on the Braemar for the first tme so more opportunities for comparison:)

We love the Braemar, came back last week from a wonderful fortnight in the Caribbean:) Also spent a great 8 days last year on her for the French Collection:) Hope to try the Balmoral next year, looking at a trip to the Canaries. Have a wonderful time. Which itinery are you doing?

The anomaly was created when the "Braemar" was stretched. Since then it has carried more passengers (930) than the "Black Watch" (804) although it is a smaller ship. If you look at the passenger/space ratio the "Black Watch" is 35.5 and the "Braemar" 25.9 ie the "Black Watch" is more spacious. I haven't been on the "Braemar" since it was enlarged so I cannot comment if this is noticeable to passengers.

No wonder the Braemar seems like a bigger ship with all those extra passengers! I went on it a couple of times before it was enlarged and then again afterwards and the difference really is very noticeable. In 2008 they had by far the best dance troupe I have ever seen aboard a Fred dot ship. It was their very first outing and they were truly awesome. I think the dancers are regularly rotated around the various Olsen ships so they may have long since left the Braemar.

We love the Braemar, came back last week from a wonderful fortnight in the Caribbean:) Also spent a great 8 days last year on her for the French Collection:) Hope to try the Balmoral next year, looking at a trip to the Canaries. Have a wonderful time. Which itinery are you doing?

Caribbean and transatlantic to UK. Glad you liked the Braemar, I'm sure we will too. :)

Interesting comments and figures about the sizes of and passenger space ratios on the various ships. The Black Watch seems to come out well on these measures and generally speaking it rarely seemed crowded so I am not surprised.

My wife reminds me of another plus point for the Balmoral, it is very stable. I am bound to agree with this, and I think it edges the Black Watch in bad weather. The size helps no doubt.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments on BW, sounds ideal for our needs, and we are looking at doing one of the World Cruise legs next winter, as we did one on the Balmoral this winter and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did find the Balmoral very good in rough seas and we had a few, perhaps the BW being smaller will not be so good in that regard. Comments on deck space are interesting as Balmoral is a bit thin on shade for warmer climes.

We crossed the Atlantic in a Force 12 on the Balmoral and it was not even exciting! Mind you, we were on deck 4 and in the middle of the ship so we were probably in the best place. All the decks were closed off yet passengers were still trying to open the outside doors to look at the sea. :eek:

Black Watch was our first taste of Fred Olsen cruises and one thing we found, it never seemed crowded. Happy memories on her.:):)

Archived