Hideaway Island - Villa

sharri34

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any one can help me with this one, I'm going to Villa on my next cruise (first time in Villa :)) and I've noticed a couple of cruisers here who've talked about Hideaway Island, so I did a quick google and found it, but it didn't seem to have much info, so I thought I'd come to you guys :D

First of all their website says that P&O does a Hideaway Island Tour, but I couldn't find it any where on the P&O website, so does this mean if we want to do it, we have to do Hideaway Island independently from the ship?

Also, is it good??? Or does anyone else have any good recommendations? Be it to do tours or just to spend the day wandering around Villa?

Thanks again guys :)

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any one can help me with this one, I'm going to Villa on my next cruise (first time in Villa :)) and I've noticed a couple of cruisers here who've talked about Hideaway Island, so I did a quick google and found it, but it didn't seem to have much info, so I thought I'd come to you guys :D

First of all their website says that P&O does a Hideaway Island Tour, but I couldn't find it any where on the P&O website, so does this mean if we want to do it, we have to do Hideaway Island independently from the ship?

Also, is it good??? Or does anyone else have any good recommendations? Be it to do tours or just to spend the day wandering around Villa?

Thanks again guys :)

Hi Sam, I went to Hideaway Island a few years ago so not sure how up-to-date my information will be, but hopefully will give you an idea!

I am unsure if P&O offer tours to Hideaway Island, as we hired a local taxi driver to take us there / pick us up.

There was an admission cost while on the island, but wasn't too expensive from memory. Also a bar, restaurant & deck chairs for hire.

We snorkelled around the island and while there was some nice underwater scenery & fish, it does suddenly get deep so becareful with children.

One of the highlights of the island is the world's only underwater post office. I think you can purchase special post cards from the island, and post them in the underwater post office, but unsure as we didn't do this.

The post office is deep, so would only suggest for good swimmers.

The following is their website for more information:

http://www.hideaway.com.vu/where.htm

You may also want to post this on the Australia & New Zealand Cruisers forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

There may be some members there who are not currently looking at P&O cruisers / P&O forum, but may have information for you on Hideaway Island.

And there is also a Ports forum too that may have more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Hideaway Island. You catch a little tinny type boat over there and pay an admission to the Island (about $20). The Island is okay but I think you can do much better.

Iririki is pretty good. Once again, catch a boat over (marginally better boat) and by memory, the admission is $20 but in the event you have lunch there, that $20 will be deducted from it. Nice infinity pool there over looking the lagoon.

Le Lagon is probably the nicer one though. I think the deal was that provided you ate and drank there, there was no extra cost. They have just refurbished most of the resort and it is nice. We were there 2 weeks ago.

Enjoy - we like Vanuatu.

Do the Blue Lagoon cruise if you can.

Cheers

Di

it is at the northern end of the bay/ port and it a little island that in a resort and I do believe the port vila under water letter box is there as well.

Another highlight of Port Vila is the cascade waterfalls. You can do a tour through the cruiseline or yourself.

It is a big of a walk, and when we did the tour a few years ago, you had the opportunity to swim in the lagoons under the waterfalls.

It is at times slippery and uneven.

Another highlight of Port Vila is the cascade waterfalls. You can do a tour through the cruiseline or yourself.

It is a big of a walk, and when we did the tour a few years ago, you had the opportunity to swim in the lagoons under the waterfalls.

It is at times slippery and uneven.

The Cascade waterfalls is a must! I was there in Feb and it was fantastic. I would suggest wearing reef shoes for this trip. You have to walk through water a few times to get there and then if you want to go to the top you have to cimb the rocks in the water. You can also swim in the water next to the restaurant, which is good as well. Great photo opportunities here as well. The walk is not too bad and is alot better now than it used to be.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Di!

We are hoping to go snorkelling in Vila. We were planning to go to Hideaway, but do you think Iririki is just as good? Their website looks amazing! But not much mention of snorkelling. Do you need to book to get there? Do you know where the boat leaves from? Sorry for all the questions at once! Thanks so much for any info. :)

Jane

Hi Di!

We are hoping to go snorkelling in Vila. We were planning to go to Hideaway, but do you think Iririki is just as good? Their website looks amazing! But not much mention of snorkelling. Do you need to book to get there? Do you know where the boat leaves from? Sorry for all the questions at once! Thanks so much for any info. :)

Jane

I can't tell you how Irririki compares with Hideaway.

You do not have to book to go to Irririki. It costs $20 AUD per person, but that can be redeemed for drink or food at the resort.

The pontoon where the Irririki boat leaves from is a bit closer to the centre of town than the big fruit & vege market that fronts onto the main street.

Hi Di!

Jane

you can check out the under water mail box at hideawat island.

• 2 months later...

We went (2 adults, 2 young kids) to Hideaway Island on our last cruise a few months ago. We enjoyed it. The kids (3 and 7 yrs) had a great time. The snorkeling was quite good and the best bit was there were very few people there off the cruise ship compared to some other ports you visit (it is a 10-15 min drive away).

If you enjoy swimming and snorkeling then you will most likely enjoy this nice little island. As mentioned by some, the world's only underwater post office is located here. You can buy a waterproof card from the kiosk on the island for a few dollars and have it mailed back home. The post office is located approx 50m offshore and it is in about 2-3 metres of water. If you can't duck dive down to either the post office or the yellow post box nearby, there is a diver in the post office (at specified times) who will take it from you. :)

Archived