Just off Splendor - spa room, family of 4 - questions?

dolphinwyo

Hi,

we just returned home from the 3/13 sailing on the Carnival Splendor. Will write a review this weekend when I catch up at home, but will be happy to answer any questions. We had a great time - traveling with a 10 year old and 6 year old, so lots of Camp experience, used spa services that came with room, watched shows - loved every minute! Ask away!

Hi,

we just returned home from the 3/13 sailing on the Carnival Splendor. Will write a review this weekend when I catch up at home, but will be happy to answer any questions. We had a great time - traveling with a 10 year old and 6 year old, so lots of Camp experience, used spa services that came with room, watched shows - loved every minute! Ask away!

Love that aromatherapy steam room.

We looooved our spa room last time and can't wait to be back in one next month. I do have a question about how spa access may have changed since out last visit.

In July 2009, we simply wore the wristbands we were given on the first day when we went to the thermal suite. (Not that anyone ever checked, which was kind of irritating, but maybe they recognized us.) I read recently that now you have to get a new wristband every day? And some people say that you have to turn in your S&S card to the front desk, too, but I wonder if they're confusing Splendor's spa with Dream's? What was your experience?

It was great just being able to walk in and lock our stuff in a locker. Nothing could put me off the aromatherapy room or pool, but I'll be disappointed if we have to queue up to deal with the spa people (not always my faves) every time we come or go. Hopefully they've found a way to tighten security without lessening convenience. :) (Especially since this time we're on the Panorama deck, near the front, so I'm looking forward to just taking the elevator/stairs directly into the thermal suite! Oh, if only it was open earlier/later for spa room occupants!)

Thanks - looking forward to your report. :)

Well - we were given a bracelet to wear for the week, but we also had to check in at desk and give our S&S card, then we were given a VIP access keycard to get into the rooms. Kind of a pain, sometimes there were lines. We thought there should be a better way. When we knew we were going to be in/out of the spa all day we had my DH keep his S&S card for expenses and getting into our room, and then I turned my S&S card in for a VIP card, then we just wore our bracelets and skipped the lines.

I really enjoyed all of the musicians onboard. The piano bar was always packed - good singer, the cigar/robusto lounge had a male country singer that was good - but it was too smoky to sit in there and enjoy him for me, the lobby bar had a rotating group of musicians, always good music, wide variety, the lido bands played under the big screen and were rotating also, it was nice since other ships have had one band on the lido playing same songs over and over. So - we loved all the musicians and how they rotated them throughout the ship.

The comedians - attended the late, and late late shows - enjoyed them all - some better than others, but all were entertaining. The comedian in the main theatre that had prop comedy for family entertainment was good and engaged the crowd. Heard that the regular comedians' family shows pushed the limits a little, but we didn't attend so can't say for sure. All in all comedians were enjoyable. The punchline theatre where they performed was always packed -so we waited outside doors right after family performance and grabbed seats - in between shows you could find seats, but walk in late and you will stand.

We also enjoyed all the main theatre shows - usually my DH doesn't like them or attend, but he went to Vroom and Beat with me and enjoyed them both, but especially Vroom. Kids went to Vroom with Camp with a PG warning and my DD was a little shocked at the "Macho Macho Man" disrobing...(pullaway pants)! But all in all fun. Loved their Beatles in Vroom.

My DD and I attended the Latin show and we both loved it also.

I enjoyed the music, shows and comedians on the cruise (4th cruise) better than any other. Very nice. I can look up specific names if you want - would have to unpack my Funtimes to double check.

Thanks - a bit disappointing, but there must have been a lot of abuse, so fair enough.

So, how does the elevator/stairs in the thermal suite work now? If you're on the Panorama deck, can you still go straight up into the thermal suite or the upper level, or did they block it so it no longer goes all the way down to the Panorama level? Thanks. :)

I know there's an extra fee to use the spa. I was looking at the deck plan and noticed that next to the fitness center there are M/W rooms and saunas off the fitness area. Is there a fee to use those saunas and are there showers in this area?

Questions answered:

Spa elevator - the elevator was out of service when we first arrived, fixed on last day, but I didn't notice where it went to/from, as we were on Spa deck so never needed it.

The M/W rooms with showers are available for free, as well as the gym. They are very nice, lots of room, private showers, lockers, hair dryers. Would be nice to use if your room was crowded.

The saunas have a fee or are free if you have a spa room. You have to have a key to unlock the rooms. There are several sauna rooms of various temperatures and different chairs to relax in. They did sell day passes for these rooms during the week.

Camp Carnival - my 6 year old says that Camp Carnival was his favorite part of our whole vacation (and we went to Disneyland before the cruise!) He would wake up and look at the schedule, and then wanted to get to camp right away. He would eat dinner with us, then when camp reopened each night at 7 p.m., he would beg us to take him to Camp - skipping dessert most nights! He also loved to stay for late night - I came to collect him and my DD on the last night at midnight, they both begged me to stay one more hour. Camp Carnival is why we cruise - if the kids are happy we are happy!

Hi,

Can you please tell me if the ship changed time when she crossed the time zone? We have a tour booked for Cabo and are confused about whether we stay on Pacific time or move back to Mountain time.

Thanks.

Yes, we were on new itinerary. Monday sea day, Tuesday and Wednesday Cabo, Thursday Puerto Vallarta, Fri and Sat sea days.

Monday and Friday were formal nights. People dressed up - all different styles - formal, cocktail gowns, everyone looked nice. Didn't see anything shocking or too casual for my taste.

Deck party - was on Thursday, St. Patrick's Day for us. after leaving PV at 10:00 p.m. Same night as Mexican late night buffet which started at 11:30.

Ship stayed on same time zone throughout. No time zone changes.

Yes, we were on new itinerary. Monday sea day, Tuesday and Wednesday Cabo, Thursday Puerto Vallarta, Fri and Sat sea days.

Monday and Friday were formal nights. People dressed up - all different styles - formal, cocktail gowns, everyone looked nice. Didn't see anything shocking or too casual for my taste.

Deck party - was on Thursday, St. Patrick's Day for us. after leaving PV at 10:00 p.m. Same night as Mexican late night buffet which started at 11:30.

Ship stayed on same time zone throughout. No time zone changes.

Thank you.

It amazes me how difficult it has been to get an answer to my time change question. Now I can plan our excursion.

You are welcome - the ship stays on Pacific time zone throughout - we didn't ever change our clocks. So when ship said 3:00 was last tender from Cabo - that was 3:00 ship time, not local time. We bought a $10 waterproof watch from gift shop and set it to ship time, took that everywhere to stay on track.

Thank you.

It amazes me how difficult it has been to get an answer to my time change question. Now I can plan our excursion.

stargate - Just to make things more confusing Mexico starts observing Daylight Savings Time this Sunday. We sail in June and I've been trying to figure this out too.

Archived