Let's compare Costa to MSC and other international cruise lines

hsb5956

Greetings All;

I have not cruised on MSC as of yet but considered the Canadian Maritime & Caribbean combo cruise 19 nights. Was on Costa 2010 March - April sailing older ship the Classica Asia cruise 13 nights Hong Kong, Taiwan, 4 stops in Japan, ended in Shanghai China. First off was an older ship showed her age but nice main central lounge area. Was cold weather for most of the trip so pool / deck activities were limited. Food was okay but not great some dishes were very tasty others not. Did not thing the lounge combo musicians were great but did ad a liveliness to pre dinner cocktail hours in the main central lounge. Only attempted 1 show and walked out was not very good. To be honest this trip was destination oriented touring almost every day and will late seating at 9:15 PM a leisurely dinner socializing was great then off to bed being needing to up early to catch the tours. Only had out of the 13 days 3 days on ship cruising which were catch up days laundry e-mail letter writing reading resting sleeping in. Did play trivia a couple times during cocktail hour or late morning. The small games that happened at cocktail time were sort of annoying mainly being they were repeated in 5 or 6 languages as all announcements were. Cabins were basic simply furnished but very old beat up dirty very worn and stained capering was in several cabins all had the same carpet issue needed to be replaced. Not much mingling between non English speakers and others or attempts to communicate. English speakers were about 20% of the 1,200 some passengers. But did develop friendships with 6 or 7 others. Staff were efficient smiles but not much communication with passengers looked way overworked. In some cases I felt management was overbearing not very cooperative when issues arose were very un pro the customer mainly small issues.

Tours were a let down in Japan Costa contracted with Grayline poor communication poor narratives but did get you to see sights as transportation. For the price of the tours should of been better run.

All and all was a okay cruise being Costa is the cousin to Carnival from that one sets certain expectations and it was better Costa then Carnival as an adult cruise. and older ship experience. Great value 3 cabin class upgrades had a mid deck porthole cabin was traveling solo with single supplement $1,600.00.

Yes I would cruise Costa again and cruise on MSC the international flavor is fun and different one needs to adjust ones expectations. Look at it this way we travel to other countries to experience other cultures so taking a Italian cruise company is an extension of the international experience. Sailed on Star Clipper October 2010 TA out of 120 some passengers 20 Americans 10 Canadians 10 various others mostly Germans all socialized together but German's tend to learn English. Defiantly Star Clipper had an international flavor to the whole experience and food was to European tastes.

Please your input thoughts comparisons please could be a interesting thread. Will post this as well on the Costa board as well.

Smooth Sailings To All

HSB5956 / Hugh

I have never really understood why people ask about comparing this cruise line with that cruise line?

Comparisons are for the most part very subjective, take food as an example.

When looking for a cruise, I look at the route, season, price. Then read up on the on it.

I am sure that there are better cruise lines than Costa, but their itineraries and price suite - so why change a winning team.

mostly Germans all socialized together but German's tend to learn English

The Dutch are the masters at learning foreign languages - the reason being which other country needs to learn Dutch.:D

Ron

Archived