How is snorkeling off beach

valtandc

The main beach has nothing to see but sand, and lots of people. You can walk up the beach (north) toward Jack's Shack, where I hear the snorkeling off the beach is better, or walk through the Cruise Center, and down the beach (south) beyond the excursion dock, which is very rocky, so may have some interesting things to see. I however, would recommend taking one of the boat excursions. We took "Ultimate Snorkel" last July, and loved it. Some things are worth paying for, and this is one of them.

Willie D13, can you please elaborate on Ultimate snorkeling and what made it so great? WAs this a ships tour?

Yes, it was an excursion through Carnival. As for elaborating, the crew was very friendly, and quite helpful to the inexperienced, yet did not interfere at all with those of us who were experienced. The two spots they stopped had a lot of fish and some nice reefs, with good coral formations, so plenty to see. Both locations were easy swims, which for my wife was good, as she is not a strong swimmer. Both locations were no more than 10 minutes from the excursion dock, which afforded a lot of time in the water.

• 4 months later...
Do they make you wear life jackets while snorkling? I think its a good idea but being a scube diver I love to free dive with out one.

The excursions will require you to wear a vest, but they do not make you inflate it. Our last trip there, about half the people inflated it, the other half sucked the air out, so they could dive under. They are annoying, but ignorable. Just don't tighten the strap between the legs to tightly, it chaffs.

• 2 months later...

Hi Willie D13, we are going to Grand Turk in January with Holland America, I have been looking at the Ultimate Snorkel trip, it sounds like the same trip that is offered on Carnival. This trip goes to Round Cay and Horseshoe Reef. Is this the same trip you went on? We want to make sure we get to snorkel the "wall" or "shelf". You don't seem to mention the names of the two stops you went on. I love your pictures!! thanks...

• 1 month later...
Hi Willie D13, we are going to Grand Turk in January with Holland America, I have been looking at the Ultimate Snorkel trip, it sounds like the same trip that is offered on Carnival. This trip goes to Round Cay and Horseshoe Reef. Is this the same trip you went on? We want to make sure we get to snorkel the "wall" or "shelf". You don't seem to mention the names of the two stops you went on. I love your pictures!! thanks...

We have taken 2 different tours on Grand Turk. We have taken "Ultimate Snorkel" both times we were there. That excursion goes to "The Wall", but does not go to any Cays. We also took the Gibbs Cay and Stingray, which, if you have not guessed, goes to Gibbs Cay, but does NOT go to the wall. I am not familiar with Round Cay, or Horseshoe reef.

Archived