The Best Jerk Near Falmouth, Jamaica

saus

I spent two weeks studying the coral reefs of Jamaica in 1994. While I wasn't a fan of the way the jaded locals dealt with foreigners in the towns where cruise ships came to port, and I experienced more instances of crime and intimidation than I would prefer, there were some aspects of Jamaica that I fell in love with.

One of the things that I experienced in Jamaica that I haven't found anywhere else is true Jamaican jerk pork and chicken. There was a real-deal place somewhere along the road between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay that made jerk the old-fashioned way, smoking it underground for half a day at least.

Most of the best jerk places in Jamaica don't smoke it the old-fashioned way any more, but still make delicious jerk pork and chicken that is only approximated at the Jamaican restaurants I have experienced in the U.S. (the best being in Washington D.C).

I will be visiting Falmouth in July on the Allure. I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction to a truly authentic jerk stand/restaurant in the area.

I know there is a Scotchies in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. While they actually serve decent jerk at these spots, I find Scotchies to be inauthentic and geared towards tourists, not true Jamaicans. Both of these places are a long cab ride from Falmouth as well. I am hoping for someing closer, more genuine, with better jerk.

The best option I have been able to find by researching online is a place called Big Flag Jerk Centre. There are a few reviews of the place on tripadvisor, but the best one I have found is here:

http://www.mysilversands.com/content/jamaica_roadside_food_big_flag_jerk_centre.aspx

It appears that the restaurant is just outside of Falmouth, possibly in Rock Brae. Based on the reviews, it sounds like the food here is what I'm looking for.

Has anyone who has visited Falmouth sought out the Big Flag Jerk Centre? If so, is the jerk as good as the reviews indicate? Can you provide directions or an exact location?

I would appreciate any help I can get on Big Flag Jerk Centre, or any other jerk recommendations in the general Falmouth area.

Yeah, nothing wrong with The Pork Pit. Except it's a long drive from Falmouth. If Big Flag has quality jerk, my guess is that their business is going to pick up considerably with RCI's ships visiting regularly.

The question is whether their jerk is any good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scotchies and The Pork Pit are the standard stops that tourist-friendly jerk should be measured by. I recommend both.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a place that is closer to Falmouth and hopefully serves up a plate of jerk that is as good or even better than Scotchies or Pork Pit.

Has anyone out there tried jerk in/near Falmouth?

Archived