Heathrow Connection AA to BA

jdvoyager

We're flying AA JFK-LHR connecting to BA LHR-DXB. Layover time is 3 hrs outbound, 2.5 return. Never done this route before - will this be an easy connection and are layover times suitable?
Plenty of time. When you arrive at LHR from JFK (Terminal 3) follow the signs to "flight connections" where you'll be bused to Terminal 5. You'll clear security and be ejected into the T5 shopping mall; if you have 3 hours eastbound you'll probably have 2+ hours at T5. Same idea in reverse returning. You won't clear UK immigration in either direction and your bags will be transferred. Note AA uses gates at Terminal 3 that are a fair hike from the shopping/waiting area, so when the gate is posted make your way a few minutes early.

If it's a real AA flight and not a code share on a BA flight, then you will come into T3. Just follow the signs for 'transfers/connections' and there will be a bus over to T5 for your BA flight. Very easy process. Note though that when you get to T5 from T3 you will have to go through another security check, so be prepared for that. If for some reason your inbound flight is very late and you have less than 35 minutes from arriving at T5, they will not let you through to departures unless your Dubai flight is also very late leaving. You will be pointed to a desk for rebooking.

3 hours is plenty for this transfer and 2.5 hours on the way back is also fine.

That assumes there are no delays etc on your incoming flights.

Thank you both. SwissDave yes it is an actual AA flight, no code share. One more question for you - we're flying LX to VCE from the US for another cruise with connection times in ZRH of 1.55 and 2.10. From what I've read this should be sufficient. Do you agree?

Thank you both. SwissDave yes it is an actual AA flight, no code share. One more question for you - we're flying LX to VCE from the US for another cruise with connection times in ZRH of 1.55 and 2.10. From what I've read this should be sufficient. Do you agree?

Should not be any problem at all. Zurich is very well setup for transfer passengers. Be aware though that Zurich is a building site at the moment and quite a few, but not all, flights are being bussed from remote stands.

Last time I went through Zurich my flight was very late coming in, and landed at the time my connecting flight to Geneva was due to leave. They made an announcement for connecting passengers to come to the front of the plane as soon as we had stopped, stepped out the door and there was someone there to take me and 1 other passenger directly over to our next flight which they had held for us. Both of us were on the cheapest economy tickets so I was actually resigned to having to wait for the next flight. LX know how to give good ground service.

Longest time it has taken me for an international non schengen connection time (passport control etc) to domestic was 30 minutes and that was at peak time on a friday evening.

Should not be any problem at all. Zurich is very well setup for transfer passengers. Be aware though that Zurich is a building site at the moment and quite a few, but not all, flights are being bussed from remote stands.

Last time I went through Zurich my flight was very late coming in, and landed at the time my connecting flight to Geneva was due to leave. They made an announcement for connecting passengers to come to the front of the plane as soon as we had stopped, stepped out the door and there was someone there to take me and 1 other passenger directly over to our next flight which they had held for us. Both of us were on the cheapest economy tickets so I was actually resigned to having to wait for the next flight. LX know how to give good ground service.

Longest time it has taken me for an international non schengen connection time (passport control etc) to domestic was 30 minutes and that was at peak time on a friday evening.

Thank you again. You've been most helpful.

Archived