OSLO Hotel, HELP!

If the Port leaves from where the ferry goes to Germany, where do I say I want a hotel in Oslo if we want our ride in the morning to be a quick one? Downtown?????

Traveling w/4 families/16 people, need a nice (Modern, if possible) hotel that can sleep 3-4 per room, (if possible, I know rooms are small.)

The Radisson SAS, the Big tall Blue Hotel (is that close to port?)

Grand Hotel, I heard is very $$$

Best Western, is that nice, or just cheapie????

So confused, any help I'd really appreciate!

Yes, if the ship leaves from where the Color Line usually goes (Filipstadveien), downtown is an okay choice.

However, I'd suggest trying the Thon Hotel Vika Atrium. It's right behind Aker Brygge (walking distance to Filipstad, bus stop right infront of hotel, maybe 3 minutes to port by taxi but also walking distance into town) and has family rooms, sleeping 4 to 5 people. I have stayed at a number of Thon Hotels in Oslo (including Vika) and always enjoyed them. Simple but modern, clean, nice breakfast, friendly staff and not too expensive (not to say cheap for Oslo standards).

The Radisson Blu Plaza is very nice but right next to the train station, at the other side of town (though Oslo is not huge, so maybe 15 minutes by taxi). The Grand Hotel is in the middle of downtown Oslo but as you expected rather expensive. And I was told it wasn't worth the price.

• 2 months later...

Just returned from a fabulous month's vacation which included a 15 day transatlantic followed by a Baltic cruise and then another week or so of a land trip.

We spent three days and two nights in Oslo at the Comfort Inn Boersparken. This is a very comfortable hotel with a terrific breakfast buffet, coffee and hot tea available all the time plus free internet. There were two termials available in the lobby and free wifi as well for your I-pad or other devices.

We arrived by train to OsloS (central train station) and it was just a short couple block walk rolling our luggage to the Comfort Inn. Very comfortable lobby area and friendly staff when we checked in. Our room was ready when we arrived at about 1 pm so we could leave off our luggage and freshen up. The day we arrived was May 17, Norway's National Independence Day, and we joined the large native-costumed crowds in the streets to enjoy the parades and festivities. We even got to see Norway's king and the royal family out on the balcony of the palace! It was an amazing day that we were so fortunate to witness. Our two nights at this hotel were very comfortable and we had a great view of the new opera house and the water, plus our sixth floor room was very quiet and comfortable, though basic. The price was considerably lower than a number of other hotels we priced, so I would not hesitate to book at the Comfort Inn Boersparken if our future travel plans take us back to Oslo.

• 2 weeks later...

What you should try, is Oslos best kept secret, the Perminalen Hotel. It is owned by the Norwegian army (don't let this scare you!), and used to be a weekend getaway place for conscripts going to Oslo, and conscripts lucky enough to have their service in Oslo. It still is, but to a much less extent. Now, it serves as a modern, central hostel/hotel that for some reason is not marketed a lot.

It was moved and totally rebuilt in the late 90s. Today it sports clean, big rooms with up to four beds, big bathrooms and a decent breakfast buffet. The prices are reasonable, the area safe and quiet. I have had family staying there, and they simply loved it. The best thing is the location: Between the northern parts of the Akershus fortress and Oslos main parade street Karl Johans Gate. It will take you two minutes to walk to both, and less then five to walk down to Aker Brygge and the cruise ship terminal at the foot of the fortress walls.

As I said, Oslo best kept secret! Web site: http://perminalen.no/Default.aspx?L=GB

Archived