Room for scooter on Carnival?

I am looking at deck plans on Carnival Valor and do not find any marked accessable. I will be travelling with my Travelscoot scooter, compact but still needs room in cabin. Are there accessable rooms on Carnival? In which cabin categories?

David

I have a travelscoot and booked my first Carnival cruise for next April on the Fantasy. I also found I could not locate any accessible cabins. When I called to discuss this I found out they do not list them nor allow them to be booked unless you speak with their access department. The agent on the phone said this just started in order to get ready for the new ADA regs. taking effect soon for cruise ships. Basically, after I booked the room for my daughter and grandchildren I was transferred to special needs where the second cabin was booked pending my completion of a form asking for the size of my scooter and if I needed other assistance. After I completed the form I got back lots of information. The width of the door, height of the toilet, and height of the step into the bathroom (my biggest problem with the cabin as it is 3.5 inches). This is on the Fantasy and we have not sailed as yet. As the Fantasy is an old ship I understand that they have true accessible cabins and some that are "modified". I believe mine is modified. I will report back when we have sailed. The port of Charleston is easy driving distance from our home and the cruise is one we can take our grandchildren on for their spring break.

Thanks, katisdale. That is sort of what I expected. I normally cruise on RCI or Celebrity, and they both clearly mark accessible cabins on their deck plans. That allows us to see where the accessible cabins are in each category and to determine if we want to go for the accessible or pay for a larger cabin which, for our purposes, might work just as well. Carnival would simply require us to go through some extra hoops:eek:.

Enjoy your cruise with your family. I agree, being able to drive to an East Coast cruise port makes cruising much nicer for many of us. We are in very reasonable driving distance of both Baltimore and Bayonne/Cape Liberty. In a couple of weeks, though, I get to take my Travelscoot on an airplane for the first time as we fly to San Juan for our next cruise. We'll find out how easy it is or it isn't.

David

I have had mixed results with flying with the travel scoot. It has never been unusable but they did a job on the duffel bag when we checked it through from Charlotte to Anchorage for an Alaska cruisetour. When we got home we bought a hard sided golf bag and now use that for longer trips. We are going to Eastern Europe next month and the one expected problem is that they will think I am telling tall tales about the scooter and have the bag full of golf clubs. I bet we have to open the bag to prove we tell the truth. As long as they don't lose it I will be happy. I think you are lucky to be so close to two ports. Happy cruising!

Archived